ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Harper hits grand slam in bottom of 9th to give Phillies the win over Cubs!

It's been ages now, but you'll recall their overpaying for Papelbon. Is that jerk even still in baseball? (I saw him at.Citizens Bank Park and he made an obscene gesture to the booing fans as he was walking toward the dugout.)
Most hated Phillie in recent memory. What a clown that dbag was.

Reactions: miketd1
Right field is a hugely important defensive position.
Stopping first to third for right fielders on a base hit is enormous for not extending innings.

God bless Rusty Staub, but the A’s knew Rusty couldn’t throw in 73

I was just suggesting that third base is even more important because there are more right-handed hitters than lefties, and most baseball players tend to pull. So there are a lot of hot shots going toward third. As for Harper, he has a great arm.

Low OPS, low WAR, below average outfielder. Not what you are looking for when you sign someone for that much money.

You're so wrong it's laughable. He is far above an average outfielder. OPS and WAR are respectable -- both better than Machado's. Like many others here, I think a little over half a season is not enough to judge Harper.

Similar to how some should “wait a bit longer than 3/4 of one season before declaring that” the contract was a bust?

I am not that guy. Loved Harper in DC. Very good player. He was an integral reason we won 4 division titles in 6 years. If you can afford to build a team around him at that contract, while I may boo him when he comes to town, then he isn't a "bust".

Reactions: NickRU714
Right field is a hugely important defensive position.
Stopping first to third for right fielders on a base hit is enormous for not extending innings.
Somewhere Dwight Evans is smiling and nodding at this post.

Reactions: zappaa
Bryce is listed at 74th in WAR to this point according to a list on fangraphs. He is tied for the 4th highest salary in 2019 at 30 million. That's overpaid based on his performance to date although he may be earning more back for management in increased ticket sales. Washington won zero playoff series with Harper and he posted a 1.6 WAR last season.

Reactions: RutgersMO
Bryce is listed at 74th in WAR to this point according to a list on fangraphs. He is tied for the 4th highest salary in 2019 at 30 million. That's overpaid based on his performance to date although he may be earning more back for management in increased ticket sales. Washington won zero playoff series with Harper and he posted a 1.6 WAR last season.

His WAR is 2.8 so far this year so he's improved from last year (assuming of course that you think WAR is a valid measure).

Something to consider about Harper...he was hitting 35/40 HR or so for the Nats. He now plays 81 games in a little league stadium. Should be good for at least 5-8 more HR. His power this year is not that impressive considering the stadium

Actually Nationals Park gives up more home runs.

http://proxy.espn.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor?sort=HRFactor
Those numbers are close enough to not matter much. Is the difference that Rendon is healthy and Soto and others can mash? Plus Scherzer has missed time, so the Nats' opponents haven't faced him as often this year.

Look at 2018, Citizens Bank was ahead of Nationals Park.

In 2017, Citizens Bank was #1 for HR and Nationals was 13th.

Checking on that link, this is the first season since 2011 where the Phillies' stadium has been behind the Nats' stadium. Actually, that was the only other season where that was the case since Nationals Park opened.

Those numbers are close enough to not matter much. Is the difference that Rendon is healthy and Soto and others can mash? Plus Scherzer has missed time, so the Nats' opponents haven't faced him as often this year.

Look at 2018, Citizens Bank was ahead of Nationals Park.

In 2017, Citizens Bank was #1 for HR and Nationals was 13th.

Checking on that link, this is the first season since 2011 where the Phillies' stadium has been behind the Nats' stadium. Actually, that was the only other season where that was the case since Nationals Park opened.
Which is why I posted it. @yesrutgers01 said he should have 5-8 more homers in Citizens Bank. But the numbers say it should be the same.

He is the guy fans of other teams love to hate. A lightning rod of sorts. Every fan is a bit different. But even if he was a Met, would have a hard time cheering for him. For Phillies fans, hopefully his subpar season is just one season. For Mets fans, hope the season is the start of his career decline! :Sly:

On a less controversial player, what happened with Hoskins this season?
I didn’t like Gary Carter at all until he became a Met but I always respected his game. Same here for Harper. Props.

Reactions: retired711
Which is why I posted it. @yesrutgers01 said he should have 5-8 more homers in Citizens Bank. But the numbers say it should be the same.
I don’t know dimensions but I guess my first thought was right, Citizens is a smaller park, you are just saying just as many HRs are being hit at the Nat’s ballpark. That is 2 different things...

Harper has yet another home run tonight (his fourth in three games; I don't remember the exact numbers but this hot streak is about ten games long) plus a single, and has driven in three runs and scored two.

Cubs just blew another in the bottom of the 9th, this time with the bullpen giving up two runs to the Pirates. Three Pirate batsmen walked to score the tying run, and then the Cubs reliever gave up a bases-loaded single on a 3-2 pitch. So the Phillies and Mets have a chance to pick up a game in the wild card race.

Where are you getting your salary info? He is nowhere near $30mil this year.

The Phillies trailed 5-1 going to the bottom of the ninth, and the firstbatter was retired. The second (Hernandez) reached on an error by SS Bote. Three straight singles made it 5-3, and then Hoskins was hit by a pitch to load the bases. Then Harper came through. He now has 25 home runs and 87 RBI. This, of course, is what the Phillies were hoping Harper would do. Should add that Harper hit two HRs last night too. He is a streaky hitter, but maybe it's not a coincidence that Charlie Manuel has just come back as hitting coach. Manual is an old-fashioned baseball guy, but he has an excellent record in helping hitters be successful.

Overall Harper's been a financial disaster. $330m for a guy with 25 hrs.

There are currently 16 players in each league with more homers than Harper...topping out at 40 (Trout) / 41 (Bellinger). His BA is mediocre and has really not that much until the last few games when he's produced.

But no matter what he produces it won't be worth $330M.

MO

Last edited:
Something to consider about Harper...he was hitting 35/40 HR or so for the Nats. He now plays 81 games in a little league stadium. Should be good for at least 5-8 more HR. His power this year is not that impressive considering the stadium

Harper hit "35-40 HR" once in 7 years for us (he did hit 34 once...so you can give him twice in seven years if you bend the criteria). As I wrote above "he is a very good player. Full stop". I was a "Harper fan", but I wasn't disappointed when he left as he was "great" only one year. And I think his contract would've hurt the Nats ability to keep (what I believe to be) better players (Strasburg, Rendon, Turner). Harper is probably one of the 20 or 25 best players in baseball. Not one of the 5 or 10 best.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

There are currently 16 players in each league with more homers than Harper...topping out at 40 (Trout) / 41 (Bellinger). His BA is mediocre and has really not that much until the last few games when he's produced.

MO

I am not a Harper fan...usually, I like players that tend to play with an edge but something about him just doesn't sit well. With that said, if he catches fire the remainder of the season and into the playoffs and carries the Phils to the WS...then he would have earned the $$$

Don't believe that is going to happen though. And with him and the Phils signings, will they venture deep into FA again?

I am not a Harper fan...usually, I like players that tend to play with an edge but something about him just doesn't sit well. With that said, if he catches fire the remainder of the season and into the playoffs and carries the Phils to the WS...then he would have earned the $$$

Don't believe that is going to happen though. And with him and the Phils signings, will they venture deep into FA again?

I don't see ANY way the Phillies (if they make it to the playoffs) can contend with the Dodgers.

But should that happen....there is even less of chance against the Yankees or Astros.

Harper should be known as a Paul Newman movie from the 60's... not as a savior of MLB.

MO
PS Who is the Cincy kid with 10 homers in his first 15 games - Aquino? That's a free agent in the making.

Yea, that's incorrect. His base salary thisyear is $10mil.
They probably included the $20 million signing bonus all in this year alone.

Regardless - good player, one great season thus far, and on a very hot streak lately. Scarlet jinx from the moderate bashing in this thread?

MO

He's the Kensington Clubber

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT