ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HBO's Vinyl Cancelled

I watched the first 5 or 6 episodes and then lost interest. Just were not any likable characters, although I did see Olivia Wilde naked.

Reactions: scarlet night
It had potentially but besides the mediocre writing and plot lines I thought the casting of Bobby Cannevale was a mistake. His very recent portrayal of the gangster in Boardwalk Empire was much better. Ray Romano was a bit better. I actually thought Mick Jagger's son was pretty good as the front man for the band they were promoting.

It had potentially but besides the mediocre writing and plot lines I thought the casting of Bobby Cannevale was a mistake. His very recent portrayal of the gangster in Boardwalk Empire was much better. Ray Romano was a bit better. I actually thought Mick Jagger's son was pretty good as the front man for the band they were promoting.

The Nasty Bits, he was good.

I watched one episode while in a hotel traveling for work and thought there were moments of brilliance. The best part (and I'd watch it again) was when one of the characters who is teaching a band about rock and roll starts strumming a series of riffs and ties all this iconic music back to the base set of riffs. It's a really cool scene. But by and large it wasn't a great show holistically

my bad.......... i thought it was over after 6 episodes........

sorry, great idea..... was not well executed.

The ratings weren't good. Only pulled in about 650 thousand viewers an episode. Compare that to Game of Thrones which pulls in 7 million more viewers an episode. Let's not even talk about the $100 million dollar price tag. They were not getting their money's worth. Too risky not to pull the plug with those ratings and that price tag. They kind of lost me when the building collapsed, I thought it was a dream sequence, it wasn't. I was done.

The ratings weren't good. Only pulled in about 650 thousand viewers an episode. Compare that to Game of Thrones which pulls in 7 million more viewers an episode. Let's not even talk about the $100 million dollar price tag. They were not getting their money's worth. Too risky not to pull the plug with those ratings and that price tag. They kind of lost me when the building collapsed, I thought it was a dream sequence, it wasn't. I was done.

That was the episode that did it for me, too.

While true for commercial networks.. no ad dollars at risk with low ratings for HBO.

BUT.. hits are always better than non-hits. And this show was taking up budget and airtime. They free up both of those and take another swing at a real hit.

Some idea.. themes, stories.. really cannot be sustained over the long haul and should be designed from the outset for a limited number of episodes. Think of "Roots".. and imagine that they tried to extend it from.. what was it.. 6 hours? to 20 hours a season and multiple seasons.

I am shocked that "Mad Men" lasted so long, but that's where PaKnight's comment about "Vinyl" having no likable characters hits home. No one to root for.

That was the episode that did it for me, too.

Yeah, WTF. Thought it was metaphorical, then the next episode he's got dust on him, his face bleeding and apparently we're supposed to believe that really happened?

Still working through it - entertaining enough, but I don't know that I'll be crying about its cancellation.

While true for commercial networks.. no ad dollars at risk with low ratings for HBO.

BUT.. hits are always better than non-hits. And this show was taking up budget and airtime. They free up both of those and take another swing at a real hit.

Some idea.. themes, stories.. really cannot be sustained over the long haul and should be designed from the outset for a limited number of episodes. Think of "Roots".. and imagine that they tried to extend it from.. what was it.. 6 hours? to 20 hours a season and multiple seasons.

I am shocked that "Mad Men" lasted so long, but that's where PaKnight's comment about "Vinyl" having no likable characters hits home. No one to root for.

I'm struggling to think of any truly likable characters on Mad Men.

I was hopeful this would be a good series, but as the entire season went on (I watched the whole thing) I was very disappointed in the show. So, I'm not surprised HBO shut it down. I thought the show became more about the lead (Bobby Cannavale's character) dealing with a never-ending addiction and self-sabotage, and not enough about the industry as a whole. Yes, drugs were prevalent and widespread at the time, but so was really good music. It seems as if the music took a back seat to Richie Finestra. I thought the casting overall was fine, but the story line became too predictable and cliched.

It's a shame it was shutdown. I was hoping the second season would turn the whole thing around and improve on the music elements as well as making the stories more about the music industry as a whole, and less about Cannavale's character constantly falling off the wagon. That was IMO, not only tiring but why the show didn't make it.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
I was hopeful this would be a good series, but as the entire season went on (I watched the whole thing) I was very disappointed in the show. So, I'm not surprised HBO shut it down. I thought the show became more about the lead (Bobby Cannavale's character) dealing with a never-ending addiction and self-sabotage, and not enough about the industry as a whole. Yes, drugs were prevalent and widespread at the time, but so was really good music. It seems as if the music took a back seat to Richie Finestra. I thought the casting overall was fine, but the story line became too predictable and cliched.

It's a shame it was shutdown. I was hoping the second season would turn the whole thing around and improve on the music elements as well as making the stories more about the music industry as a whole, and less about Cannavale's character constantly falling off the wagon. That was IMO, not only tiring but why the show didn't make it.
Well said, RU MAN.

Very uneven show. I loved the great insights into that time, which was so fertile, seeing the creation of three of the greatest forces in music history, punk, disco, and rap/hip-hop. The scene in the opening show, where Cannavale discovers the New York Dolls shredding through "Personality Crisis," was brilliant and I loved the scenes with the Nasty Bits and Hannibal, getting to see music being created.

But I agree with many that they pushed Cannavale too far towards unlikeability and got too wound up in the mob stuff and the murder of the Dice character. I wished there had been more focus on the music. But I still enjoyed the show, even if it was far from perfect - was hoping the 2nd season would improve.

Pretty surprising, as the ratings seemed good, as did the reviews. If you like the show and want to see it continue, email their CEO: richard.plepler@hbo.com

The show was too "dark".

If you lived through the 80's with all the excesses (e.g. cocaine / invincibility)....this show was a sad reminder of why the past wasn't all that great.

MO

Reactions: Mike from MD
You rooted for Don to beat his demons.

Don Draper was one of the better characters in recent TV history. But he wasn't an all-around good, likable guy you root for. When it comes down to it, he was kinda a scumbag.

Same thing with Roger, though to a lesser degree, and he was certainly funnier and lighter and rarely needed rooting for.

ADVERTISEMENT