ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Headlights on in daytime?

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
This probably has a simple answer, but I wanted to check:

My 2010 Toyota Prius does not have daytime running lights. (Later Priuses do.) My wife would like me to have the headlights on during the day for the sake of safety. Is there any problem with doing this? My guess (I could be wrong) is that headlights are a bigger drain on the battery than daytime running lights. Are they, and is the difference big enough that I shouldn't have headlights on during the day? Is there any other reason it might not be good to have headlights on during the day? Thanks so much!

I thought that DRL were required by law by 2010. Hmmmm.

DRL send less voltage to the lights so as to not burnout the bulbs as fast. So the only negative I can think of is you may need bulb replacement sooner.

Reactions: retired711
Just drive fast and make sure teh gas engine is on.. then use the lights as much as you like.

(no, I don't have a real answer for you.. but I suppose whether you have halogen headlamps or led might matter.. if that's a thing)

Do they go off when to pull out the key/fob?
I'm not sure what you're asking, but the lights automatically go out 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off, and so there's not a risk of having the battery depleted by the lights being on for a lengthy time with the ignition off.

I thought that DRL were required by law by 2010. Hmmmm.

DRL send less voltage to the lights so as to not burnout the bulbs as fast. So the only negative I can think of is you may need bulb replacement sooner.
Believe it or not, DRL are not required in the United States. GM i(yes GM) petitioned to have them made mandatory, and the National Highway Traffic & Safety Administration said that GM's data wasn't good enough. As Richie Ashburn used to say on Phillies broadcasts, "Hard to believe, Harry." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp#United_States

I'm not sure what you're asking, but the lights automatically go out 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off, and so there's not a risk of having the battery depleted by the lights being on for a lengthy time with the ignition off.
I’d leave them on then.

I also like the fact that if they are on you don’t forget to turn them on and your taillights are also already illuminated.

That’s not the case with daytime running lights.

Also, very easy to change the bulbs on most cars these days.

The headlights are not a drain, even without an alternator (which Prius’s don’t have).

Same with your car’s clock.

Lights on. Right on !!

Reactions: retired711
ADVERTISEMENT