ADVERTISEMENT

OT: HeavenUniv, follow up message regarding chocolate gravy

Southern Gentleman

All American
Aug 10, 2011
Sir,

I chastised you a couple of weeks ago for saying that chocolate gravy is a well known Southern food item and that I had never seen it before at any restaurant in Arkansas. Well today, I saw a package of chocolate gravy mix at a local farmers market!

I immediately thought of you and I would like to send it to you with my compliments! if you will email me your address, I will ship it to you free of charge!

I have no idea how and why it was there for sale, but I could not resist.

Southern Gentleman
kchogfan1@yahoo.com

Please put chocolate gravy in the subject line So I won’t miss it!

Just so happens my daughter is making cheddar biscuits tomorrow in culinary class. Maybe I'll tell her leave some without the cheese.

OK. Please STOP. Grits need nothing other than real butter on top of them or maybe a poached egg.
How do you like yours? Creamy or al dente?

YUFesLo.jpg

Reactions: RUSK97
OK. Please STOP. Grits need nothing other than real butter on top of them or maybe a poached egg.

The thought of chocolate gravy on grits, or even biscuits, just grosses me out!
Oh c’mon. I get the purist appeal, but grits takes on a whole different dimension as the base for so many toppings. Like crumbled bacon and sweet corn. Or pulled pork. Or ham and redeye gravy. Or the classic gulf shrimp (I like mine with tasso ham gravy).

Chocolate gravy...is this sweet or savory? Are we talking mole negro or mole poblano-like?
to the point.. this could be a bitter taste with little in common with what we think of as "Chocolate"..

I prefer farina to grits (wheat vs corn).. though it has been a long time.

And while I like chocolate well enough.. and pancakes or waffles or french toast.. I do not want chocolate chips anywhere near them and I suspect that goes for chocolate gravy as well.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
HeavenUniv, regarding the top food, I’ll hit on a few:

1. fried pies are awesome! Especially like apricot or peach.
2. fried okra lightly coated in flour and cooked with onions In a cast iron skillet. Better than sex in the early years.
3. fried green tomatoes. You bet, about 3/8 of inch thick. Many great recipes out there.
4. fried chicken? Best damn fried chicken anywhere. None of that Nashville hot bullshit.
5. hush puppies and onion rings? They go together like a QB and a wide receiver combo. cant have one without the other!
6. fried pickles are great, especially with a cold beer.
7. Edamame? Fancy name for soybeans. I had a bunch at a sushi restaurant yesterday! Arkansas produces more soybeans than any state.
8. muscadines. Picked those little bastards for more years than I can remember. Got poison ivy every time! They need a lot of sugar to make them palatable!
9.purple hull peas. Judy bought 2 lbs of them today. I expect them on Thanksgiving
10. Watermelon? For Gods sake Arkansas is the watermelon capital of the world. Check out Hope Watermelons or Cave City melons.
11. Petit Jean Meats. Great hams and bacons. Google them. I recommend their products!
12. Cavender’s Greek seasoning. OMG! Made around Harrison, Ark. at one point they were clients of mine. They gave me a 5 pound bucket of seasoning that took almost a year to go through it. Great stuff!
13. Yarnell’s ice cream . Similar to Ben and Jerry’s. Just our local version. I know the family somewhat.
14. Mountain Valley Water! In Hot Springs, Arkansas. Some of the purist water in the world. Think Fiji water but without the cost. Freezes pure, no impurities.
15. Grapette. Hard to find grape drink. “Wanna coke? Yeah, get me a Grapette!”
16. Riceland rice. Available in your local grocery store everywhere. Arkansas is one of the top rice producing states in the country. Because of the rice and water needed for it, we are also the duck hunting capital of the world!

Thanks for asking!

Oh c’mon. I get the purist appeal, but grits takes on a whole different dimension as the base for so many toppings. Like crumbled bacon and sweet corn. Or pulled pork. Or ham and redeye gravy. Or the classic gulf shrimp (I like mine with tasso ham gravy).

Hard to beat ham and red eye gravy. Shrimp and grits are more a low country staple but not bad at all.

It used to crack me up the week between Christmas and New Years. All the supermarkets in South Carolina—Piggly Wiggly, Bi Lo, Food Lion, etc. used to have big signs everywhere outside that said “Get your collard greens!” So of course the stupid Yankee had to get “that look” once again when I asked what was the deal about the collard greens. Then they told me you are supposed to eat them on New Years for good luck for the year. Although it still wasn’t as bad as not knowing that peas didn’t have to be green or not knowing what elephant ears and she crab soup were!

Southern, do people in Arkansas consider themselves more Southerners than Midwesterners? I already know your feelings about Missouri lol

We are kinda in our own land. BBQ for example: not Carolina with vinegar based sauces, not Kansas City with Smokey tomato based sauces, nor Texas Brisket and beef, more like Memphis with dry rubs.

I think most will say we are Southerers but the truth is more mid westerners.

I am spending wayyy too much time on the Internet. Just read that De Soto died in Arkansas.

Hard to beat ham and red eye gravy. Shrimp and grits are more a low country staple but not bad at all.
True, shrimp n grits probably originated in South Carolina’s low country (I didn’t know this until much later in life), but I grew up on the Gulf and it was a staple there too. I had just always assumed it was Creole.

True, shrimp n grits probably originated in South Carolina’s low country (I didn’t know this until much later in life), but I grew up on the Gulf and it was a staple there too. I had just always assumed it was Creole.
Essentially it is. In South Carolina it originated with the Gullah. A lot of the food culture there was inspired by them.

Gullah

I think that it is interesting how often you will find great food in all parts of the country. Each region/ state is different of course. But that diversity makes travel that much more interesting.

However, I still say NO to chocolate gravy.

Reactions: Section124
Southern, I am going to put a little of the chocolate gravy to the side and put some on a Taylor Ham sandwich and some on a Pork Roll sandwich, freeze them and send them to you. Let me know which one you like better lol.

Southern, I am going to put a little of the chocolate gravy to the side and put some on a Taylor Ham sandwich and some on a Pork Roll sandwich, freeze them and send them to you. Let me know which one you like better lol.
Will you be mailing this from Central Jersey?

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
DJ, I live in Manchester which is part Shore and part Pinelands, the northernmost part of South Jersey and the southernmost part of Central Jersey—maybe I will send him a submarine hoagie from Quick Wawa too.

HeavenUniv, regarding the top food, I’ll hit on a few:

1. fried pies are awesome! Especially like apricot or peach.
2. fried okra lightly coated in flour and cooked with onions In a cast iron skillet. Better than sex in the early years.
3. fried green tomatoes. You bet, about 3/8 of inch thick. Many great recipes out there.
4. fried chicken? Best damn fried chicken anywhere. None of that Nashville hot bullshit.
5. hush puppies and onion rings? They go together like a QB and a wide receiver combo. cant have one without the other!
6. fried pickles are great, especially with a cold beer.
7. Edamame? Fancy name for soybeans. I had a bunch at a sushi restaurant yesterday! Arkansas produces more soybeans than any state.
8. muscadines. Picked those little bastards for more years than I can remember. Got poison ivy every time! They need a lot of sugar to make them palatable!
9.purple hull peas. Judy bought 2 lbs of them today. I expect them on Thanksgiving
10. Watermelon? For Gods sake Arkansas is the watermelon capital of the world. Check out Hope Watermelons or Cave City melons.
11. Petit Jean Meats. Great hams and bacons. Google them. I recommend their products!
12. Cavender’s Greek seasoning. OMG! Made around Harrison, Ark. at one point they were clients of mine. They gave me a 5 pound bucket of seasoning that took almost a year to go through it. Great stuff!
13. Yarnell’s ice cream . Similar to Ben and Jerry’s. Just our local version. I know the family somewhat.
14. Mountain Valley Water! In Hot Springs, Arkansas. Some of the purist water in the world. Think Fiji water but without the cost. Freezes pure, no impurities.
15. Grapette. Hard to find grape drink. “Wanna coke? Yeah, get me a Grapette!”
16. Riceland rice. Available in your local grocery store everywhere. Arkansas is one of the top rice producing states in the country. Because of the rice and water needed for it, we are also the duck hunting capital of the world!

Thanks for asking!
This is a pretty darned great list, though no. 1-6 collectively clogged my arteries just thinking about it. Anybody got a Jersey edition (or wherever you’re from)?

LOL. I am NOT jumping in on Taylor Ham versus Pork Roll again! But, then again, my ex, the plaintiff, always called it Taylor Ham, therefore I may just have to go with Pork Roll.

Reactions: czxqa
This is a pretty darned great list, though no. 1-6 collectively clogged my arteries just thinking about it. Anybody got a Jersey edition (or wherever you’re from)?
North, Central or South?

ADVERTISEMENT