ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Her First Time Using Gas Pump?

My wife sat in her car honking the horn the first time she stopped for gas outside of NJ. Then went inside to ask the guy behind the counter if he was ever going to come out.

About 15 years ago I was getting gas in Pennsylvania and saw a Cadillac with Jersey tags sitting at a different pump. After pumping my gas and noticing the driver was still waiting in the car, I approached to tell him it was self-service. Before I could do so he said, "Fill Premium". The look on his face was priceless when I told him he had to do it himself.

Is she following the "data" or the "science".

I had to check twice to see what she was doing, I thought it was a jeans commercial....

From where I'm sitting, gas-girl looks pretty hot
camera-guy sounds totally p-whipped.

I think he filmed it so he could just get out at the end and 'congratulate" (i.e., meet) her.

just a long-con.

Reactions: BigWill
Let's face it , us NJ residents are not smart enough to pump gas. In fact the State Government said so.

In 1949, the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act and Regulations banned drivers from pumping their own gas in New Jersey. Like so many laws, the statute claims the ban is for the drivers’ own good:

Because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures, including turning off vehicle engines and refraining from smoking while fuel is dispensed

Now I for one want this law to remain in place forever. Why do I want to get out of my car in bad weather and pump my own gas? I certainly do not. If they had self-pumping here, the price for self-pumping (yes I mean pumping gas) won't go down, instead there will be a premium for paying for someone to pump it for you. Vote out any politician who tries to change it.

topping off is illegal, in all states afaik, EPA rules.
It must be true, cuz I just read it on the internet.
The one thing topping off does do, is wreak havoc with your evap system.
As far as illegal? I thought I read Oregon might have a law prohibiting topping off.

Let's face it , us NJ residents are not smart enough to pump gas. In fact the State Government said so.

In 1949, the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act and Regulations banned drivers from pumping their own gas in New Jersey. Like so many laws, the statute claims the ban is for the drivers’ own good:

Because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures, including turning off vehicle engines and refraining from smoking while fuel is dispensed

Now I for one want this law to remain in place forever. Why do I want to get out of my car in bad weather and pump my own gas? I certainly do not. If they had self-pumping here, the price for self-pumping (yes I mean pumping gas) won't go down, instead there will be a premium for paying for someone to pump it for you. Vote out any politician who tries to change it.
You do know that every gas station in america has a little roof over their pumps so when it rains you don't get wet right? If you are prepared to get all sorts of worked up over pumping your own gas, I can't imagine what you are like on any issue that actually matters when someone disagrees with you

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
If legit, could be the first time she is getting gas with that vehicle. Vehicle could be new, also hard to tell rear plate. Might be a dealers plate. Just a guess.

Years ago while driving to So. Carolina I stopped at a gas station and it was self-serve. I had never pumped gas before in my life. So I got out of the car and my young son
came out too to help me. So we figured how to do it and I put the nozzle in the tank and squeezed to get the gas flowing. But I had no idea that flow would stop when it was full.
So I figured there was enough in the tank so I pulled out the nozzle still squeezing the handle and doused my son with gasoline.
I do not pump my own gas anymore. I actually drive from Staten Island into Jersey to get my gas at Costco where it is cheaper.

Reactions: RUNYC13
You do know that every gas station in america has a little roof over their pumps so when it rains you don't get wet right? If you are prepared to get all sorts of worked up over pumping your own gas, I can't imagine what you are like on any issue that actually matters when someone disagrees with you
You do know that roofs don't protect you from single digit temperatures, nor really windy rainstorms or oppressive summer 90 degree days. And yes there are gas stations without roofs, so no every gas station does not have a roof. Second don't pretend to tell me what I am like as you spout your superior "pearls of wisdom". Your post is both obnoxious and rude. You are free to stand outside and pump your own gas, but I bet you don't if you live in NJ and no one will stop you either so go right ahead.

You do know that roofs don't protect you from single digit temperatures, nor really windy rainstorms or oppressive summer 90 degree days. And yes there are gas stations without roofs, so no every gas station does not have a roof. Second don't pretend to tell me what I am like as you spout your superior "pearls of wisdom". Your post is both obnoxious and rude. You are free to stand outside and pump your own gas, but I bet you don't if you live in NJ and no one will stop you either so go right ahead.
Here's the thing. If you don't want to pump your own gas you don't have to but don't complain when places charge a premium for that service. What's it an extra 20 cents per gallon for non self fill and the average car has about a 15 gallon tank so even if you are empty filling up you are talking about a $3 surcharge? That's more than reasonable and not a places fault that you don't want to get your lazy ass out of the car and fill your own tank and don't think you should have to pay any extra.... Do you tip your waiters/waitresses? You do know that cooking for yourself is far cheaper than eating out. You are complaining about having to pay for a service that literally every other state in the country already does

topping off is illegal, in all states afaik, EPA rules.

Been doing it for 40 years when I know that gas prices are going up. Haven't been caught yet. One of those unenforceable laws. Most of the time, I just fill it to full which is still more than what the pump jockeys give.

Reactions: SHUSource
About 15 years ago I was getting gas in Pennsylvania and saw a Cadillac with Jersey tags sitting at a different pump. After pumping my gas and noticing the driver was still waiting in the car, I approached to tell him it was self-service. Before I could do so he said, "Fill Premium". The look on his face was priceless when I told him he had to do it himself.
I have had to teach people from Jersey several times how to pump gas.

Here's the thing. If you don't want to pump your own gas you don't have to but don't complain when places charge a premium for that service. What's it an extra 20 cents per gallon for non self fill and the average car has about a 15 gallon tank so even if you are empty filling up you are talking about a $3 surcharge? That's more than reasonable and not a places fault that you don't want to get your lazy ass out of the car and fill your own tank and don't think you should have to pay any extra.... Do you tip your waiters/waitresses? You do know that cooking for yourself is far cheaper than eating out. You are complaining about having to pay for a service that literally every other state in the country already does
---------------------------
Do u live in NJ and pump your own gas? If the answer is no to pumping your own gas then stop your nonsense as you are either a hypocrite or foolish.

If you live out of state then you do not even know what you are talking about. Whether you pump your own gas in NJ or not it is the same price.

You have just called all of the NJ residents lazy asses because almost no one pumps their own gas here. That includes every Rutgers fan that lives in NJ that isn't foolish enough (apparently with the exception of you) to pump their own gas when it is a free service from the salaried employee of the gas station to do so. You have insulted Rutgers Nation and the good citizens of NJ.

Next time you let someone pump your gas in NJ, don't forget to give them the reasonable $3 tip you refer to......oh wait, I am sure you have never done that.

Women in NJ will never allow self-serve. I think the last poll that was taken, 90% of the women said they like full serve. And with Covid, I think it is 100%.
So we are stuck with this for another 100 years.
It probably employs million people.

Women in NJ will never allow self-serve. I think the last poll that was taken, 90% of the women said they like full serve. And with Covid, I think it is 100%.
So we are stuck with this for another 100 years.
It probably employs million people.

LOL yes a million people pump gas.

The last time that I was back in Jersey, I got out of the car to pump my gas and had an attendant scream at me that it was illegal.

Reactions: RUaMoose
My friend’s daughter and her friend filmed themselves pumping gas at at an out-of-state self serve wearing tank tops. They were pretty and very well endowed in the breast department. Somehow, the video made its way to YouTube. My friend was none to pleased and complained to YouTube who removed the video.

What are you talking about...NJ has always been one of the lower priced states for gas while not self pumping...you make no sense at all or just talking to hear yourself talk and not realize everyone is sitting here looking at you like you are an idiot.

Do u live in NJ and pump your own gas? If the answer is no to pumping your own gas then stop your nonsense as you are either a hypocrite or foolish.

If you live out of state then you do not even know what you are talking about. Whether you pump your own gas in NJ or not it is the same price.

You have just called all of the NJ residents lazy asses because almost no one pumps their own gas here. That includes every Rutgers fan that lives in NJ that isn't foolish enough (apparently with the exception of you) to pump their own gas when it is a free service from the salaried employee of the gas station to do so. You have insulted Rutgers Nation and the good citizens of NJ.

Next time you let someone pump your gas in NJ, don't forget to give them the reasonable $3 tip you refer to......oh wait, I am sure you have never done that.

Thank you...

OK 1st trip to PA when we started driving we had no idea what to do. It wasn't because we didn't know how to pump our own gas(worked at a gas station in high school) it was because we had no idea you had to prepay inside. So there we sat, "how the fvck do these things work in PA, hitting buttons lifting levers?" Till some nice old man said, "son you've got the gist, you just need to pay 1st then she'll turn on the pump."

What are you talking about...NJ has always been one of the lower priced states for gas while not self pumping...you make no sense at all or just talking to hear yourself talk and not realize everyone is sitting here looking at you like you are an idiot.

Thank you...
Lol if you think Jersey has cheap gas I would strongly suggest leaving the state at some point. Consistently .60-.70 cents less per gallon in Maryland and Virginia than Jersey.... We also pump our own gas

I actually always tip when I'm in Jersey. I hated not being able to pump my own gas when I was in school at rutgers. Your making a big deal over having to pump your own gas, complaining that you aren't protected in single digit temperatures and don't think you should have to pay extra for a service... Ok Karen, nice talking to you!

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
OK 1st trip to PA when we started driving we had no idea what to do. It wasn't because we didn't know how to pump our own gas(worked at a gas station in high school) it was because we had no idea you had to prepay inside. So there we sat, "how the fvck do these things work in PA, hitting buttons lifting levers?" Till some nice old man said, "son you've got the gist, you just need to pay 1st then she'll turn on the pump."
All the more reason why new jersey should get with the rest of the country and teach their residents how to pump gas... you know what else is awesome to do while driving? Making a left turn, lol

Reactions: RUaMoose
There is a little indicator on your gas gauge that points to the side of your car where your gas tank door is

It's always funny pointing this out to people.
So simple and effective yet most don't realize it is there.

NJ is my third state to live in and been here 20+ years now, but still hate that I can’t pump my own gas, it is so much slower and inconvenient to wait for the attendant. I’d we willing to pay an extra amount if I could pump my own gas.

The first time ever I needed gas in NJ, I pulled in and got out of my car, and some attendant came to my car and wanted to pump the gas. I told him I wasn’t interested. When he explained he had to, and at his station, there was no other way, I left to find another station. It was at the next station that the guy explained to me it was as state law. I hate it, free our gas pumps.

ADVERTISEMENT