ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hoboken train crash

It looks awful. Possibly many casualties and major damage to the structure.

Believe it was the Pascack Valley line.

looks horrible in pictures. Train blew across the platform where everyone walks, collapsed the roof and rammed into the waiting room it looks like...holy cow!! the news says it's the pascack valley line.

Reactions: RU22
NBC reporting 3 dead.

3 reported dead and an estimated 75-100+ injured (many seriously) and some still in the wreckage.

Train was possibly on the Spring Valley line and the accident occurred at 8:45 a.m.

From wikipedia page on the Pascack Valley line:
"...The entire line is owned by NJ Transit, but the Pearl River, Nanuet and Spring Valley stations are leased to Metro-North Railroad. The line is single tracked, but sidings at points along the line, including the Meadowlands, Hackensack and Nanuet, permit bi-directional off-peak service...."

Last edited:
Ferry service in Hoboken, in addition to all trains and the Hoboken station are shut down.

However, these types of train crashes have happened in the past.

Train runs into into Newark Bay through open draw bridge1958
Hudson Reporter - Train wreck still raises questions and tears Bayonne remembers 1958 disaster with prayers wreath and ceremony
maxresdefault.jpg

The Broker in Woodbridge 1951
THNT Resident recalls deadly Woodbridge train wreck of 1951
635899260026227328-trainwreck1.jpg

I had a Great Aunt that survived the Broker wreck.

Awful. 3 confirmed dead 100's injured and people still trapped in the train/ceiling rubble. Apparently train didn't stop in time and went right into the terminal wall. All inbound and outbound services on NJ Transit, PATH, and ferry, suspended.

I'm sure most of you have already heard but I just wanted to make sure that everyone here was okay. Please check in guys! Ugh.

Awful. 3 confirmed dead 100's injured and people still trapped in the train/ceiling rubble. Apparently train didn't stop in time and went right into the terminal wall. All inbound and outbound services on NJ Transit, PATH, and ferry, suspended.

I'm sure most of you have already heard but I just wanted to make sure that everyone here was okay. Please check in guys! Ugh.

Glad to see you post....thought of you and was concerned

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
There's no way that would be known this early.
Why not? I mean, it's early to confirm a heart-attack. But not too early for the engineer, if he's alive, to have confirmed it was his fault because he was stricken with heart-attack-like symptoms.

Train runs into into Newark Bay through open draw bridge1958
Hudson Reporter - Train wreck still raises questions and tears Bayonne remembers 1958 disaster with prayers wreath and ceremony
maxresdefault.jpg

The Broker in Woodbridge 1951
THNT Resident recalls deadly Woodbridge train wreck of 1951
635899260026227328-trainwreck1.jpg

I had a Great Aunt that survived the Broker wreck.
The former Yankee Player ,lost in the 1958 open bridge disaster,was "Snuffy Stirnweiss".At the time,the story had it that he was late getting to the station at the shore,and sprinted to catch the train that was leaving the station.He had been known for his speed.So sad that it was the cause of his demise.

Anyone know the details ? I take the 6:40a NJCL out of South Amboy (arrive Hoboken 7:27a) but am WFH today.
My son is fine, he takes the North Jersey Coast Line every day also. Checking the rail map, does every North Jersey Coast Line train go to Hoboken, or only certain times go there?

Reactions: Rokodesh
Why not? I mean, it's early to confirm a heart-attack. But not too early for the engineer, if he's alive, to have confirmed it was his fault because he was stricken with heart-attack-like symptoms.

All true. I could have been clearer in my post. Anything of that nature wouldn't be released by credible sources yet. So there was no way that such information would have been released to the media already and no way anybody in the media would know for sure. And if he was not found alive, the cause of his death wouldn't be known yet.

Reactions: mildone
Anyone know the details ? I take the 6:40a NJCL out of South Amboy (arrive Hoboken 7:27a) but am WFH today.
Track 5 from Pascack Valley Line. Multiple deaths. All surviors have been saying the line has been running "short" trains for weeks now... meaning a lot of people standing because of fewer cars. Also.. people are still trapped inside.

CNN reporting the engineer was taken off the train "unresponsive"
ABC saying he's alive. Lots of misinformation out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT