ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hoboken train crash

Per CC the train "came to rest" as it reached the inner wall that leads into the waiting room area. Man is that lucky. If the train goes through that wall the damage - to humans and the station alike - would have been much, much worse.

Not for nothing, but after listening to the press conference with Christi and Cuomo, and I'm no Christi fan by a longshot, what's with some of Cuomo's comments? "It was a blessing only one fatality," well not for that one family it wasn't.. Christi was able to convey the same thing without making me cringe. And why bring up the bombings? IDK, maybe I'm wrong and both comments were appropriate in the situation.

Thanks for sharing that earlier. Hard to get an accurate picture of the injuries and fatalities from any news source this morning.

There was a report that one of the more serious injuries was someone who was seen that their legs were severed.

Person that died was on the platform and struck by debris (per CC press conf).

Not for nothing, but after listening to the press conference with Christi and Cuomo, and I'm no Christi fan by a longshot, what's with some of Cuomo's comments? "It was a blessing only one fatality," well not for that one family it wasn't.. Christi was able to convey the same thing without making me cringe. And why bring up the bombings? IDK, maybe I'm wrong and both comments were appropriate in the situation.
Possibly because of stuff like this...

Reactions: Wolv RU
am not remotely a CC fan either, but he does a good job communicating and taking questions at these kinds of things. One misstep this time was the attempt at humor re: not having an engineering background when asked about the building structure. Certainly not the time/place for humor.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to speak.
Agreed, and Curt Schilling is definitely one of those. Why speculate on this sort of thing especially without any knowledge on what really happened? For that matter also without even a clue about how railroads operate or are designed, etc.

Reactions: drewbagel423
Port Authority is already busy. Get to your buses commuters -- gonna be crowded...

I haven't read the thread yet but saw something on NJ.com that supposedly someone at the train station (maintenance worker) heard an explosion BEFORE the train crashed (that would imply a bomb went off). I would assume too early to tell.

Just. Stop.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I haven't read the thread yet but saw something on NJ.com that supposedly someone at the train station (maintenance worker) heard an explosion BEFORE the train crashed (that would imply a bomb went off). I would assume too early to tell.

Lots of people saying that. But attributing it to the "explosion" of the train hitting the wall.

I saw that maintenance other get interviewed. He said the train made "a bomb-like sound" as it crashed into the station. So almost immediately the internet trolls went crazy and said it was a bomb.

It was not a bomb. The train was going too fast and made a loud noise when it crashed. We can put that to rest now.

Bottom line: infrastructure of most of this country and this state especially blows, as well as the people calling the shots in this state- they also blow hard.

None of this is surprising, unfortunately. The metropolitan area especially should have the safest/most up to date technology for mass transportation. The fact that they've been short cars lately and some don't work properly is sickening

I did not get this from the media so you can chose to believe whatever you want. You assume that somehow the media always knows everything first. My brothers-in-law works for nj transit and told my wife as we were worried about his safety after hearing about this.

I am glad that your brother-in-law is fine. The engineer was treated and released.

I am glad that your brother-in-law is fine. The engineer was treated and released.

So what was his "medical emergency" ? Going to be interesting to find out what happened. Did he fall asleep, have some kind of seizure ? He looks a good 50 pounds overweight. Maybe NJT should tell these guys shape up or you're out of a job. The union would fight it tooth an nail.

Reactions: MulletCork
So what was his "medical emergency" ? Going to be interesting to find out what happened. Did he fall asleep, have some kind of seizure ? He looks a good 50 pounds overweight. Maybe NJT should tell these guys shape up or you're out of a job. The union would fight it tooth an nail.
Are you Donald Trump? Maybe the engineer was the hacker that hack the DNC. LOL

If those were bi-level cars in the train set, more would have been hurt because people would've been standing on the stairs inside the train. Not every conductor is diligent about keeping people off the stairs.

Also, never sit it the first car. Closest I sit to the front is the third car. Maybe that location is not good enough.

Reactions: Knightmoves

He was treated for minor injuries and released that day. Remarkable for a guy who suffered a heart attack in the morning

http://abcnews.go.com/US/investigat...way-engineer-tests-negative/story?id=42473469

The former Yankee Player ,lost in the 1958 open bridge disaster,was "Snuffy Stirnweiss".At the time,the story had it that he was late getting to the station at the shore,and sprinted to catch the train that was leaving the station.He had been known for his speed.So sad that it was the cause of his demise.

Yes, the player was George Sternweiss. He had played second base for the Yankees in the latter years of World War II and also was a starter in the 1947 World Series. He won the American League batting championship in 1945. True, many players were off fighting the war, but it's still an impressive accomplishment. I recall he played in an old-timers gave in Yankee stadium in 1958. Several weeks later the accident occurred, and I recall Mel Allen mourning him as someone "struck down in the prime of life." I was seven years old, and it never had occurred to me that a man in his forties could be said to be "in the prime of life."

Did you read the thread at all? Early on I mentioned hearing he had a heart attack.

Make that 100 lbs overweight for a 48 year old. It's pretty scary that an engineer who has a health incident can singlehandedly crash a train and endanger the lives of so many people at the same time.

Maybe Failsafe Operations are not entirely possible at this time but a single point of failure like this should not threaten the lives of so many people. The technology and control systems being used in these trains are hopelessly out of date for a developed country like the USA IMO.

Did you read the thread at all? Early on I mentioned hearing he had a heart attack.

"Hearing" he has a HA and having it confirmed are two separate things. For such an out of shape guy that had a HA and was in a violent crash he certainly was in and out if the hospital fast

Reactions: Phi_1055
"Hearing" he has a HA and having it confirmed are two separate things. For such an out of shape guy that had a HA and was in a violent crash he certainly was in and out if the hospital fast

Agree with this. After seeing the body photo of the engineer it is clear that he was a health risk based on his obvious obese condition.

But it doesn't mean he had a heart attack on the way into Hoboken.

Just as likely that he was in a rush to get to the nearest taco stand at the terminal.

We obviously don't know the whole story yet but personally I'd have some concerns if I knew that a blimp like Thomas Gallagher was the only person responsible for my safety on the train as it entered the station.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT