ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Holland Tunnel

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
More than 100,000 vehicles pass through the Holland Tunnel each day. But soon, many of these New Jersey-bound cars will need to find an alternate route. In just a few weeks, one of the busiest tunnels in the world will be shut down overnight, six nights a week, for nearly three years.
The specific days times of closure are:
Sunday through Thursday from 11:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.
Friday from 11:59 p.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Saturdays will have no scheduled closures

This is reverse work now. Believe same rules were in place for NY bound vehicles and that work is now completed. Hurricane Sandy fixes.

This is reverse work now. Believe same rules were in place for NY bound vehicles and that work is now completed. Hurricane Sandy fixes.
Correct, the same work was done in the inbound tunnel, started nearly 3 years ago.

EscapefromNYposter.jpg

Reactions: bac2therac
Outbound Lincoln Tunnel will be a real experience for Jersey bound drivers.

I live around the corner from the HT and have lived in Hoboken/JC/Weehawken since '96. Not a big deal to be honest.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I bet most of the people up in arms about this never even drive through the tunnel at the times it is going to be closed and also had no idea that this project has already been going on for 3 years.

Reactions: RU205
at least it is at 11pm and not earlier.... just gotta watch when you go in and out.
or...just avoid as much as possible. NYC is too congested as it is, building vertically does nothing to handle the volume of people.... and congestion pricing is crap idea. glad to see Brooklyn and Jersey city growing ... now if Newark would take on the Jersey City approach, then people over next few years will not have to go into NYC as much.

How often do you think you're going to be sitting in traffic between 11pm and 530am?
Probably never for nine to fivers.

But how about people who work night shifts in NYC like bartenders, restaurant and hospital staff etc?

You know, the little people. 😀

Probably never for nine to fivers.

But how about people who work night shifts in NYC like bartenders, restaurant and hospital staff etc?

You know, the little people. 😀
Yeah I didn't say it isn't going to suck for anyone, but the majority of people freaking out are not going to be affected, and for the people who are affected, it's most likely just going to be a matter of taking a detour. Because of the time of day the closure takes place, there probably isn't going to be much traffic, certainly less traffic than the daily rush hour. Like I said, this project was already happening for 3 years going the opposite direction and most people here weren't even aware of it.

Drove into Midtown on 1/2 through the Lincoln and had dinner downtown later that evening. Drove back to NJ through the holland, granted I hadn’t driven into the city in 3 years but it seemed like normal traffic to me at 8pm. I guess I’m used to being in traffic having worked in Manhattan for 20 years. Blast some free bird to pass the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT