ADVERTISEMENT

OT: home audio question

bethlehemfan

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 6, 2003
Scarlet brothers

I have a semi remote vacation place with about a 500 square feet in the living room area. I hooked up a bose soundbar for movies and music and after sending them back twice for distortion I got one that lasted a year. Now it’s producing distortion so I am going to toss it. Bose sucks btw.
Anyway any suggestions for quality sound at a reasonable price (<$500) that’s not too bulky? I don’t have much room.

Reactions: RU85inFla
Scarlet brothers

I have a semi remote vacation place with about a 500 square feet in the living room area. I hooked up a bose soundbar for movies and music and after sending them back twice for distortion I got one that lasted a year. Now it’s producing distortion so I am going to toss it. Bose sucks btw.
Anyway any suggestions for quality sound at a reasonable price (<$500) that’s not too bulky? I don’t have much room.
Oh crap. I just purchases two Bose Soundbar(R) 30 Series iii speakers, one for our living room and one for our patio/hot tub area. These are not soundbars.

I debated between Sonos and Bose, and after reading extensive reviews on Crutchfield and Amazon, I was swayed to Bose because reviews said the speakers provided better bass reception, and I listen to a lot of heavy rock music.

People rave about Sonos. The playbar is their signature soundbar, but it is $699 and a bit large. They have a Sonos beam.

I highly recommend reading reviews on Crutchfield and initiating a chat or a call with one of their experts. Crutchfield has sold audio for a very long time (pre-internet), and the great thing about buying from them is that they provide FREE tech support when things are not working right. I had an issue with my Onkyo receiver, and the tech support guy had it figured out in 5 minutes.

Which Bose product do you have?

Reactions: bethlehemfan
Huge fan of Sonos. Have a semi wired, semi wireless set up. We tested the plays (1, 3, 5) and settled on the play 1 which usually lives in the kitchen but also can be brought onto our deck. Great sound for such a little thing. The key with them is the app is super easy.

Oh crap. I just purchases two Bose Soundbar(R) 30 Series iii speakers, one for our living room and one for our patio/hot tub area. These are not soundbars.

I debated between Sonos and Bose, and after reading extensive reviews on Crutchfield and Amazon, I was swayed to Bose because reviews said the speakers provided better bass reception, and I listen to a lot of heavy rock music.

People rave about Sonos. The playbar is their signature soundbar, but it is $699 and a bit large. They have a Sonos beam.

I highly recommend reading reviews on Crutchfield and initiating a chat or a call with one of their experts. Crutchfield has sold audio for a very long time (pre-internet), and the great thing about buying from them is that they provide FREE tech support when things are not working right. I had an issue with my Onkyo receiver, and the tech support guy had it figured out in 5 minutes.

Which Bose product do you have?
It’s a soundbar. I have the solo 5 soundbar I think. I actually heard they knew there was an electrical problem with them. I have other Bose speakers which have been workhorses so you may be ok and they may have fixed the issue.

Stay away from Bose, overpriced cheap garbage with a great marketing department.

Check out this article with gear at all price points: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/top-picks-soundbars-and-home-theater-box

Huge fan of Sonos. Have a semi wired, semi wireless set up. We tested the plays (1, 3, 5) and settled on the play 1 which usually lives in the kitchen but also can be brought onto our deck. Great sound for such a little thing. The key with them is the app is super easy.

"Friends don't let friends buy Bose"

Love Sonos!

Have 4 Play 1s and a Play 5 and will be looking to add to that during Black Friday sales specifically a Play Bar and a Sub.

As mentioned the app is VERY easy as is setup.

Thanks, everyone. It's funny, I was going to post an OT thread about this yesterday before ordering, but I did not want to clog up this forum and distract everyone from all of the football (ahem) discussions. Sounds like. Bose is a lot like our head coach- came from a big name company and cannot deliver. I wanted these speakers to listen to all of the streaming "Birthplace" media Rutgers Athletics will be delivering over the coming year, and I fear that with the Bose/Ash speakers, they will not be able to audibly deliver the message. They would sound kind of dead and lifeless.

I returned the Bose speakers before they arrived and ordered Sonos 5 speakers and the Sonos connect to link to my home receiver system.

Thanks again.

Thanks, everyone. It's funny, I was going to post an OT thread about this yesterday before ordering, but I did not want to clog up this forum and distract everyone from all of the football (ahem) discussions. Sounds like. Bose is a lot like our head coach- came from a big name company and cannot deliver. I wanted these speakers to listen to all of the streaming "Birthplace" media Rutgers Athletics will be delivering over the coming year, and I fear that with the Bose/Ash speakers, they will not be able to audibly deliver the message. They would sound kind of dead and lifeless.

I returned the Bose speakers before they arrived and ordered Sonos 5 speakers and the Sonos connect to link to my home receiver system.

Thanks again.
Agree thanks all. I figured a diversion might be welcome lol.

Thanks again.
I can vouch for the connect (also hooked up to my AVR) and the Sonos 1. The app is the best I have seen. In addition to any local media (including really good support for libraries on a NAS), you can connect to most major providers: Amazon, Sirius, etc. Plus, with connect, the same app drives your AVR, nice. Sonos 1 rocks. That little guy spits out some juice. Probably not as good as you'll get with decent speakers wired through your receiver (but not far off), but much better than any Bluetooth. Easy placement options - all you need is an outlet. I imagine the 5s are also well engineered. BTW - for a portable bluetooth speaker, the OontZ Angle is pretty good bang for the buck.

Good luck.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I can vouch for the connect (also hooked up to my AVR) and the Sonos 1. The app is the best I have seen. In addition to any local media (including really good support for libraries on a NAS), you can connect to most major providers: Amazon, Sirius, etc. Plus, with connect, the same app drives your AVR, nice. Sonos 1 rocks. That little guy spits out some juice. Probably not as good as you'll get with decent speakers wired through your receiver (but not far off), but much better than any Bluetooth. Easy placement options - all you need is an outlet. I imagine the 5s are also well engineered. BTW - for a portable bluetooth speaker, the OontZ Angle is pretty good bang for the buck.

Good luck.
I'm guessing from your avatar, you like Maiden. Does Maiden and other hard rock sound good through the Sonos?

Scarlet brothers

Ask / Look Here:

https://www.avforums.com/forums/soundbars-soundplates-soundbases.307/

I'm guessing from your avatar, you like Maiden. Does Maiden and other hard rock sound good through the Sonos?
Yup. I did a test last summer. Put the Sonos 1 on the deck. We have a decently sized backyard. Walked to the swing-set next to the property line, a bit uphill, maybe 120 ft back. Cranked up Drop Dead Legs. Closed my eyes and was in MSG in the 80s.

Well maybe not quite, but it sounded really great.

Yup. I did a test last summer. Put the Sonos 1 on the deck. We have a decently sized backyard. Walked to the swing-set next to the property line, a bit uphill, maybe 120 ft back. Cranked up Drop Dead Legs. Closed my eyes and was in MSG in the 80s.

Well then, the Sonos 5 should sound great to my neighbors. We have a deep backyard that is mostly woods, and probably the usable part is about as deep as yours. Hope my neighbors like Master of Puppets, Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Corrosion of Conformity, Van Halen, etc.

Reactions: mdh2003
Well then, the Sonos 5 should sound great to my neighbors. We have a deep backyard that is mostly woods, and probably the usable part is about as deep as yours. Hope my neighbors like Master of Puppets, Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Corrosion of Conformity, Van Halen, etc.
Ha! Yeah, you'll get their attention. I'm sure my backyard acoustics played a part, but the speaker was up for it. As a drummer, the arena big drum sound really scratches where I itch. I wanted to see if that little black box could deal with the powerful, driving, opening beat of that song. It did an awesome job.

I tested my 5 with Hardwired To Self Destruct. Sounded GREAT!

We have the Definitive Technology W Studio Micro 3.1 sound bar. Got it on sale around Black Friday last year for under your price point. We like it and it sounds great in our house...

I have Definitive Technology floor speakers that I absolutely love. Incredible sound.

Ha, a great way to see what that speaker can do.

I did much the same with my Denon Heos 7. Heos is a nice Sonos alternative.

Ha, a great way to see what that speaker can do.

I did much the same with my Denon Heos 7. Heos is a nice Sonos alternative.
Just rotated out a Denon receiver for a new Onkyo. The learning curve on my Denon (which now occupies our basement gym) is steep. Have had that thing for 12 years, and still the thing befuddles me. How is the learning curve on the Heos 7?

Just rotated out a Denon receiver for a new Onkyo. The learning curve on my Denon (which now occupies our basement gym) is steep. Have had that thing for 12 years, and still the thing befuddles me. How is the learning curve on the Heos 7?

Couldn't be easier. Hook it to Wi-Fi and use the app.

I was among a select minority that had problems with whatever mesh network Sonos uses (or used about 5 years ago) and it kept disconnecting mid-use. And I had to physically reconnect at the speaker. POA and just a poor listening experience.

Too bad cause I loved the Sonos app and music selection. Returned it and went with Heos when it came out. Haven't had any probs.

Scarlet brothers

Not too long ago, I spent months shopping for speakers for family room. I did a ton of reading, but eventually, the only way to know if you like a particular speaker, or set of speakers, is to go out and listen to them in person. So I did. For months.

For just a $500 soundbar, you don't have to spend months. There aren't that many options. But I would recommend spending at least a half day out listening to them. You're going to be hearing whatever you get for years, so a half day is probably worth it.

Since you are operating from a fixed budget of $500, it's more important than ever to get out and give it a listen. Because what's good at that price is highly subjective and will vary from one person to the next greatly.

Whereas, if you order a $1500 Samsung or Paradigm soundbar system, most people will probably agree it's pretty good, given the limitations of the speaker size(s).

Another thing people often aren't aware of is that the room itself, and what's in it, can have a pretty big impact on the quality of sound produced by any speaker, even a soundbar. If the room has a lot of hard surfaces, walls, uncovered windows, hardwood floors with no rugs, it's not going to sound nearly as good as if it's a soft and acoustically absorbent room, with carpeting or thick rugs, soft furniture, thick window treatments and even acoustic panels.

Anyway, go out and listen before you buy. I think Best Buy has a bunch of soundbars out for listening. It's not an ideal environment, but it's better than trusting what somebody else thinks, which could be completely different from your taste in sound.

Also a huge fan of Sonos - I have a beam and two play 5's in the family room. Awesome as both a movie surround sound system and for music playback. You can set them up so they play the way you like based on whether tv is the source or music. Also have 2 play ones in both the kitchen and living room. Very flexible as they all work great through the sonos app - easy to set up and all work flawlessly. Another nice thing about sonos is you can start with one speaker and add on as you need to. Their products have a long shelf life and support life cycle. The company recently went public so who knows if that changes.

Scarlet brothers

If you bought it with a credit card you have a two year warranty

Ha! Yeah, you'll get their attention. I'm sure my backyard acoustics played a part, but the speaker was up for it. As a drummer, the arena big drum sound really scratches where I itch. I wanted to see if that little black box could deal with the powerful, driving, opening beat of that song. It did an awesome job.

I tested my 5 with Hardwired To Self Destruct. Sounded GREAT!

Got the Sonos equipment. I got a bit of bad advice from Crutchfield. First fail is that the Sonos connect could not be used on my stereo. I have two zones on my receiver, and both zones are wired with speakers (main room and patio speakers). I could not independently listen to the Sonos speaker without having my patio speakers on at the same time.

Did not realize that Sonos does not let you stream Bluetooth. Another major limitation for my listening needs. Tried running a connection from our TV to the Sonos connections, and the sound was awful. I boxed them up and sent them back to Crutchfield.

I don't see the appeal of Sonos, unless you have one in every room of the house and you want to stream internet music.

Forgot about that, but Bluetooth is one of the advantages Heos offers over Sonos.

Sonos is like the Apple of the space, but there are a number of alternatives.

Appeal of Sonos and others is creating a multi-room home audio system with little effort and comparatively cheaply, using it to listen to your own library and the endless library on the Web. Audio is not great compared to traditional hard wired speakers, but most folks don't care much about audio (iTunes), especially for a decentralized system.

Or something like that.

Scarlet brothers

500 sq ft is a huge room.

make room.

"not too bulky" and "quality sound" are mutually exclusive terms.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT