ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Homemade Cold Brew Coffee

RU Leonard 23

All American
Sep 9, 2010
anyone make their own? I got a simple starter kit at home for Christmas as I’m a big fan of cold brew.

Looking forward to expanding and trying new flavors.

Anyone into this and have experience?

Not sure why you would need a kit, unless you're just referring to the grinder. I do it myself during the summer. Coarsely grind whole beans, let them steep at room temp for a day, strain, add ice, enjoy.

I made my own--bought a cold brew maker over the summer and typically just head to Trader Joe's to buy the beans and to grind them there. Definitely make sure you coarsely grind the beans, otherwise it'll end up in the coffee.

Not sure why you would need a kit, unless you're just referring to the grinder. I do it myself during the summer. Coarsely grind whole beans, let them steep at room temp for a day, strain, add ice, enjoy.

This. Kit's unnecessary, but not a bad if you got it as a gift. Probably has a good strainer.

Started doing cold brew (iced) last summer - great stuff. Use good fresh ground coffee and good water. I prefer giving it 2 days, but 1 day is still excellent. As Belly said - throw grounds directly in water, mix, let sit for 1 day (12 hours at least). Strain, pour, prepare (cream and sugar), ice, drink, repeat. Make coffee ice cubes if you don't like it to water down. Best iced coffee you'll find and much cheaper/easier than going to the shop every day.

French press is an okay strainer, but not the best. Not a fan of heated cold brew - French press, pour over are better for hot coffee, imo.

Enjoy!

A cold brew maker? What are u getting? Don't throw your money away.
U need a grinder, and a container to steep and coffee filters. That's it.

I bought a 6-pack of 64 oz mason jars for like 10 bucks. Makes cold brew better than most shops. Absolutely amazing there's a market for machines, overpriced "cold brew specific" coffee grounds, etc.

Coffee, water, container, time, straining device, done.

I got a sun tea kit for Christmas, can't wait to use it this summer.

I bought a 6-pack of 64 oz mason jars for like 10 bucks. Makes cold brew better than most shops. Absolutely amazing there's a market for machines, overpriced "cold brew specific" coffee grounds, etc.

Coffee, water, container, time, straining device, done.
I have about a million mason jars because I can a lot, what’s your ratio for coffee to water?

1 to 1.5 cup coffee to 6.5 to 7 cups water. Mason jars are marked into 8-cup lines, so makes it easy. Prefer closer to 1.5 most days.

Reactions: ldwnmas
I use the Primula 50 oz. Cold Brew Coffee Maker from bed bath and beyond $30 - 20% coupon. Very simple to use and easy to fit in the fridge.

Second the Trader Joe's post above.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT