ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Horrific week for Orlando continues

Bringing the kids to Disney in July. The Floridian was in the final cut but going to Polynesian instead will 100% be weary of lakes now. An eye opener for sure gotta feel real bad for family shouldn't happen at all

We (wife, son , his gf and myself) leave Monday for the Wyndam Bonnet Creek Resort on Disney property near Epcot and Caribbean Beach Resort. My wife and I were just talking 5 minutes ago that the news in Orlando just keeps getting crazier. Between airfare, resort (2 BR condo) , park tickets, food/beer delivery to condo I have approx 3K already paid, so .... we are going !

Reactions: vascosg
We (wife, son , his gf and myself) leave Monday for the Wyndam Bonnet Creek Resort on Disney property near Epcot and Caribbean Beach Resort. My wife and I were just talking 5 minutes ago that the news in Orlando just keeps getting crazier. Between airfare, resort (2 BR condo) , park tickets, food/beer delivery to condo I have approx 3K already paid, so .... we are going !
I stayed there 10 years ago. Very nice place and a great vacation. Enjoy!

Reactions: Abro1975
I read that article earlier this morning and practically got sick over it. Just horrible.

Bringing the kids to Disney in July. The Floridian was in the final cut but going to Polynesian instead will 100% be weary of lakes now. An eye opener for sure gotta feel real bad for family shouldn't happen at all
Polynesian is on the same lake... Seven Seas Lagoon

A bit of a Disney fan here but man, if they don't have any signs to warn of alligators.. life-endangering negligence. Then again, if the family had been there many times they might have seen alligators in the area waters. It is a fairly common sighting.

Last edited:

Screw it! Just stay in the room and don't leave. (Just kidding of course)

Polynesian is on the same lake... Seven Seas Lagoon

A bit of a Disney fan here but man, if they don't have any signs to warn of alligators.. life-endangering negligence.
Just wondering, do you post signs on the ocean shoreline stating there are sharks in there? You need to use your brain when swimming in a lake in Florida.

BTW - the article says there are no swimming signs.

Alligators are good eating. I'd have that water constantly patrolled by hunters and setup gator traps.
My Parent's place in Naples has that. Once they spot one a certain length they trap it and take it away. I forget but I think the number is 3 feet.

My Parent's place in Naples has that. Once they spot one a certain length they trap it and take it away. I forget but I think the number is 3 feet.
3 feet would be rather small to take away. Typically more like 5 feet. However a 3 feet alligator is much more aggressive than a 6 foot alligator.

They pulled 4 alligators out of that lake. I wouldn't be surprised if there are north of 50 in there.

Additionally all over florida people swim with alligators. If you ever go to one of the many springs you will see many people safely swimming during the day then at night the alligators move back into the area. The intercoastal waterway is loaded and people water and jet ski there all the time. The bottom line is that there is infinite safety in numbers and size. Additionally I would assume that a place like Disney is loaded with idiots that feed the alligators making them lose their natural fear of humans.

Unfortunate incident that is for sure.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
3 feet would be rather small to take away. Typically more like 5 feet. However a 3 feet alligator is much more aggressive than a 6 foot alligator.
Maybe it was 4 feet. I could be wrong.

It's a gated place with canals. Nobody is swimming in the water there. And they keep the grass high around them.

You couldn't have gotten me out of the ocean as a kid.

No I am now older and wiser. I don't go in over my ankles anymore. I am not on top of the food chain out there.

I feel awful for that dad. Gut wrenching.

Life is about odds. What are the odds here? Man. With that said, Florida + water = gators. Even in Disney. Its Florida.

Would have expected that you would be in for more than 3K assuming you are staying for a week. I got hit pretty hard staying at the Beach Club, more than twice that, but we did the meal plan and a full week of tickets but didn't need to rent a car. I didn't see any alligators during our stay in May.

They pulled 4 alligators out of that lake. I wouldn't be surprised if there are north of 50 in there.

Additionally all over florida people swim with alligators. If you ever go to one of the many springs you will see many people safely swimming during the day then at night the alligators move back into the area. The intercoastal waterway is loaded and people water and jet ski there all the time. The bottom line is that there is infinite safety in numbers and size. Additionally I would assume that a place like Disney is loaded with idiots that feed the alligators making them lose their natural fear of humans.

Unfortunate incident that is for sure.

I've read that there are now Nile crocodiles in Florida. Maybe this was one of those rather than a gator.

We were there in April and have visited a bunch of times. I have frequently asked about the alligators. We saw one in Bay Lake outside of the Contemporary, and my friend saw one at Saratoga Springs, but they were both small. We have always been told that the staff leaves them alone until they get larger, or until they get aggressive. If they are tiny and minding their own business, they leave them be.

When I was a kid, you could swim in Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. In fact, when the Polynesian opened, they used to have a wave machine in the lake so that people could surf. On top of that, the old Disney River Country was a fresh water swimming hole with water slides and was situated alongside the lake.

I once saw a gator in the Magic Kingdom's Rivers of America a number of years ago. It was chillin with the egrets and ibises.

Sad story. Such a freak event, we don't live in a risk-free world. I have been going to WDW since I was very young. I see alligators from time to time, but they are normally just hanging around. Whenever Disney employees see them, they are removed.

You couldn't have gotten me out of the ocean as a kid.

No I am now older and wiser. I don't go in over my ankles anymore. I am not on top of the food chain out there.

I feel awful for that dad. Gut wrenching.

Life is about odds. What are the odds here? Man. With that said, Florida + water = gators. Even in Disney. Its Florida.
I feel for the whole family. But none more than the 4 year old sister who is now gonna re-live that trauma for the rest of her life.

Reactions: hankee18 and csphi
Screw it! Just stay in the room and don't leave. (Just kidding of course)
But don't put your golf club away after your round, take one to the beach. I agree, should be some warning signs displayed as a reminder, but not many gators in Nebraska. Just unimaginable !

be honest - if you been to Florida you know there are lots of critters:

You don't walk on grass - because there are fire ants

any body of water may have gators

not to mention the Burmese python invasion spreading from the Everglades - along with other invasive species.

Cant imagine. I know when my kids were little we went there and stayed at the Polynesian and it really was a magical place and a great vacation. To have your 2 year old dragged away by an alligator in front of your eyes during such a happy time for them I just cant imagine what they are going through.

I had stayed at Polynesian over the weekend and left the park three hours before the gator attack.The Polynesian main pool. like the other Disney pools is fenced and you will need you Magic Band to gain entry. Beyond the fence there is the walkway and the sandy beach and then the lagoon. I recall seeing "no swimming" signs, but not 'beware of gator signs' on the beach. I wasn't looking for them, just knowing from my many times in FL not to go near bodies of water that are not swimming pools or oceans. Even though they try to clear WDW of gators after they reach a certain size, I'm surprised that this hasn't happened more frequently. Each night we were there, there were the Magic Kingdon fireworks and the parade of lighted floats on the lagoon, you get quite a few people gathering on the beach sitting in the lounge chairs and it's pretty dark.

I saw a few families in the parks wearing Nebraska gear. Now I wonder if I saw the family who lost this child and in his last hours of life. Very unnerving.

Couple other things...In my time there the monorail taking you to the parks has been closed in the early AM but open later on, which robbed a lot of the premium you pay for staying at the Polynesian. Now that the ferry to Magic Kingdom may be closed due to the attack, you may have to take the bus from the TTC to the parks or drive. And yes, it's is stinking hot in Orlando right now. Rain has held off until the evening.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletRunner
Remains recovered & they were fully intact. In my mind that is so much better than finding that the alligator had eaten the toddler. I hope the parents can find some peace in that fact & some peace in their lives going forward

Such an unthinkable tragedy.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
Wish I was that cheap hotel, airfare and park tickets I'm at $6800

Remains recovered & they were fully intact. In my mind that is so much better than finding that the alligator had eaten the toddler. I hope the parents can find some peace in that fact & some peace in their lives going forward

Such an unthinkable tragedy.
This is truly a freak, freak event. Even in FL, gator attacks, especially fatal ones are remarkably rare. I'm not sure if this helps or hurts the parents finding some peace in the future.

The boys body was intact and found pretty close to the beach - 10-15 yards - and in 6 feet of water. The gator probably had the boy for only seconds, but it was long enough to cause this tragedy. Just awful.

ADVERTISEMENT