ADVERTISEMENT

OT: House painting cost?

RobertG

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I have a two story home thats needs to be painted. Anybody have recent experiece w what it would cost?

Had my house painted 2 years ago. The owner of the company gave me two quotes. One for good job and one for not so good job. LOL. Obviously English was not his first language. I opted for the good job and it was 11.7k. The not so good job was 8.3k.

Reactions: RU205
Friend was an Assistant Hoops Coach at a local college.

He and his Brother painted homes in the summer. He had you buy the paint and then he charged you $ 200 a day to paint the home. He just liked to be busy and make a 100 bucks a day for him and his Brother. Did a nice job and cost me less than 2 K.

Had my house painted 2 years ago. The owner of the company gave me two quotes. One for good job and one for not so good job. LOL. Obviously English was not his first language. I opted for the good job and it was 11.7k. The not so good job was 8.3k.
Did you paint it in 18k gold...11.7 How big a home?

We are in the process of replacing the siding on our house, part of it dates back to the 1700s. You can see the old framing here in the bottom right.

I could have guessed the house was older without the reveal just by the way the windows are so close to the roof. The olde tyme homes often fixed the windows to the top beam. The balloon framed half arranged windows to conform to earlier side.

Last edited:
I could have guessed the house was older without the reveal just by the way the windows are so close to the roof. The olde tyme homes often fixed the windows to the top beam. The balloon framed half arranged windows to conform to earlier side.

The top windows were an addition on the original house. That addition was put on back in the 1800s. The big thick timber framing was the extent of the 1700s original house.

We are in the process of replacing the siding on our house, part of it dates back to the 1700s. You can see the old framing here in the bottom right.

That’s so cool. I love seeing old houses when you start pulling apart the layers. My house isn’t nearly as old as that but when I did a big renovation a few years back I got a kick out the seeing the old wood siding, diagonal sub flooring and old paint colors.

Reactions: Postman_1
That’s so cool. I love seeing old houses when you start pulling apart the layers. My house isn’t nearly as old as that but when I did a big renovation a few years back I got a kick out the seeing the old wood siding, diagonal sub flooring and old paint colors.

To the right in the picture above the, the slanted roof, is the kitchen. It use to be another building on the farm that they attached to the original house. Here is a picture of the beams holding up the kitchen floor (middle of the picture). They are trees trunks with the bark still attached.

lead paint colors? did you do that safely?

I have a 100 year old cedar siding house and just got it sided. The upkeep and maintenance was just non stop and the previous owners painted it so it lost that old shore look After getting estimates of 8-10k to paint we opted to spend a little more to side it and be done forever. It looks 100% better and no more hassle

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Welp, we found the neighbor who calls the town on people.
or.. he could be concerned for the person who posted finding the old colors.... (give more thanks today and less poor judgement) Old house, old paint.. be careful.. that is all.

I have 170 cedar sliding that is like iron. It is the modern pine on a porch that rots in 20 years.

I have a 100 year old cedar siding house and just got it sided. The upkeep and maintenance was just non stop and the previous owners painted it so it lost that old shore look After getting estimates of 8-10k to paint we opted to spend a little more to side it and be done forever. It looks 100% better and no more hassle
There are some great siding products that really look like wood siding

We have a big-level and had it done 4 years ago. $ 7,000 included some cement work on the front porch and foundation and painting. It Came out nice since it hadn't been painted for quite a few years prior to that.

Just had my house painted for $3400. It's a 2300 sq ft split. We hired a teacher who paints in the summer to pay his son's college tuition. Took him about 10 days, all with roller and brush. His kid will appreciate his dad's hard work someday.

Is his first name Ron ?

Just had my house painted for $3400. It's a 2300 sq ft split. We hired a teacher who paints in the summer to pay his son's college tuition. Took him about 10 days, all with roller and brush. His kid will appreciate his dad's hard work someday.
Good for this guy, I hope his son appreciates it. My dad worked shift work, 12 hour shifts, two days on, two days off. On his days off he worked at Clayton block on route 1 in Edison to help pay for my sisters law school. The things we do for our kids.

Good for this guy, I hope his son appreciates it. My dad worked shift work, 12 hour shifts, two days on, two days off. On his days off he worked at Clayton block on route 1 in Edison to help pay for my sisters law school. The things we do for our kids.
That's great for your sister. My Dad had us kids paint the house, and I paid my way through Rutgers and law school. I am grateful for all the lessons and skills I learned from my Dad.
To the OP, get a few quotes. Ale sure the prep work and primer and paint quality are the same.

We used a painter with the word Affordable in the company name. The paint peeled off a couple of years after painting.

Just repainted our hours ~2700 sq ft went from a brown to an off white , four coats later on walls and 2 coats on all trims, window trim, ceilings and doors later and I was content. Outside will be done in the spring. I have pretty good pricing with my company through sherwin williams and we are prob a shade over 1k in material in with a lot of labor.

For a house your size I'd think you would be 5-6k. If you buy you owner materials and just have the contractor get materials you could prob save some money.

I appreiate that guy..but anyone else wondering what the kid is doing during the summer to help pay for that bill? Help dad paint houses? lol.

Never had to worry about that, We open accounts in their names with American Funds.
When ever they received money as gifts and such, it went to the funds. By the time they were 17 they each bought their own cars. and then their first semesters at college. when the money
ran out they took out student loans. and got part time jobs. when my son graduated, he got a decent job and patd off his loan in a few years.
After two years my oldest daughter decided
college was not for her. She got a job and paid
off her debt. So in both cases it turned out
to be correct thing to do .

Reactions: Jm0513
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT