ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How some people manage to navigate daily life amazes me

"paperwork's not my thing, man"

But be kind to those for whom english.. especially Jersey DMV english.. is not their first language.

Went to Motor Vehicle this morning to get my RealID. The number of people that can't follow directions, fill out forms or comprehend simple instructions is astounding. How do these people stay alive?
Lol. Can you imagine them scheduling and taking Rutgers courses in the early-mid 80s? That was both an art and science….knowing precisely when to arrive/add/drop courses etc and still reaching your course load…and all without the use of personal computers. I used to book the maximum credits knowing that I had to drop some and had friends in line in front of me and behind me dropping and adding so that we all could reap the benefits before anyone else….that should have been a degree program.

Went to Motor Vehicle this morning to get my RealID. The number of people that can't follow directions, fill out forms or comprehend simple instructions is astounding. How do these people stay alive?
I’m more worried about the crazy drivers than those who cannot follow directions. Correlation?

Reactions: koleszar
I’m more worried about the crazy drivers than those who cannot follow directions. Correlation?
Motor Vehicle: issues drivers license to the nuts , then they go on road and don't follow the directions needed to drive safely 😉

Reactions: koleszar
Do you really need a RealID if you have a valid passport?

And the MVC experience is SO much better than it used to be.

Motor Vehicle: issues drivers license to the nuts , then they go on road and don't follow the directions needed to drive safely 😉
You haven’t seen bad drivers until you live in Florida. It can be insane. Lots of old ladies driving while sitting on phonebooks (you can imagine how old the phonebooks are) and my namesakes (Mr Magoos). I live in a nice coastal area but as you go inland you have to mow your front yard before you can even see your ‘74 Ford Pinto.

Reactions: redking and brgRC90

I don’t believe so but I don’t have a passport. The MVC experience was fine. I was out of there in 30 minutes and would have been even quicker if not for the brain dead patrons in front of me.

• Haha
Reactions: Joey Bags

"Starting May 3, 2023, you must have a REAL ID compliant driver license/ID to fly within the U.S., unless you use a U.S. passport or another federally approved form of identification."

Reactions: cshelley

I understand Real ID is required only if a valid passport is not shown.
But traveling domestically taking along your passport , every time, might be more of a hassle than just getting reaID to use.would be.

What if you had to surrender your passport after a conviction? Asking for a friend...
a friend of mine uses ( real) fake ID obtained by idenity theft .
Have your friend try that
but the >"SSN card (signed) and a W-2 will help you get that Real ID"<
is a serious reply

SSN card (signed) and a W-2 will help you get that Real ID.
All I needed for aRealID was current driver’s license, SS card, PSE&G bill and birth certificate. There are a bunch of other documents you can use though.

It was easier to dBA as Nick Pappagiorgio for me.

EiW13ocXcAAJKZD.jpg

Reactions: LeapinLou and Zak57
By not going to Motor Vehicles.

Reactions: redking
"Starting May 3, 2023, you must have a REAL ID compliant driver license/ID to fly within the U.S., unless you use a U.S. passport or another federally approved form of identification."

So the effective date got extended again? I bit the bullet when my nephew in Denver got engaged last spring and I had time and renewed my passport. A renewal is easy through the post office, easier than the DMV, but it takes 3-4 months to process.

So the effective date got extended again? I bit the bullet when my nephew in Denver got engaged last spring and I had time and renewed my passport. A renewal is easy through the post office, easier than the DMV, but it takes 3-4 months to process.
I went on the DMV website yesterday to schedule a RealID appointment and the only available non-renewal appointments were in South Jersey. I went back to the website about an hour later and there was 1 appointment available in Edison for today (must have been a cancellation).

Aren’t many places or states no requiring it? Or does it only replace a passport and we have a choice?
?

I have a friend who works at the DMV
They are continually shocked by how many people cant read in any language
You expect foreigners not to read English but they often cant read in their native language either

• Wow
I’m pretty sure I brought the same exact documents for my normal license that I did for the real Id. I did get shifted from line to line a bunch of times. Inefficient but way better than the hell it used to be. If you ever dealt with financial aid at Rutgers, it’s easy compared to that.

Aren’t many places or states no requiring it? Or does it only replace a passport and we have a choice?
?
As others have said a Passport just for domestic travel can be a hassle, one more thing you have to remember.

I imagine though if you have the Passport Card it would be easier.

Get used to it our society has been getting watered down mentally for some time now. I can spend hours tEllington you why. maybe over a beer sometime .

As others have said a Passport just for domestic travel can be a hassle, one more thing you have to remember.

I imagine though if you have the Passport Card it would be easier.
Not to sound ignorant and not trying to be- but why not just get a passport. Pretty easy and for the next 10 years travel anywhere you want to

Had 3 appointments canceled last year at the DMV for the Real ID
Basically given up… ineptness at it’s best.

Lol. Can you imagine them scheduling and taking Rutgers courses in the early-mid 80s? That was both an art and science….knowing precisely when to arrive/add/drop courses etc and still reaching your course load…and all without the use of personal computers. I used to book the maximum credits knowing that I had to drop some and had friends in line in front of me and behind me dropping and adding so that we all could reap the benefits before anyone else….that should have been a degree program.

And when it didn't work out - The ol' RU Screw.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
I have a friend who works at the DMV
They are continually shocked by how many people cant read in any language
You expect foreigners not to read English but they often cant read in their native language either

Great. Should be a real boon to the economy and society.

I feel like I say "what the fvck was that?" at least 10 times a day and my commute is only 30 mins.. People do some really stupid sh*t. Then I think to myself, "well that's why you won at life. Others, well I guess we all can't be winners". It's not so much that I beat the pack, the pack just couldn't keep up with average.

Reactions: Jm0513 and redking

As long as you bring your passport to travel within the US, you don't need a RealID. I always take my passport and also have the passport card as well. However, I just got the RealID in June. Process was super easy and you can get an appointment the next day. DMC had plenty of people helping others complete forms. In and out in less than 15 minutes.

Website says first time application fee is $130 and execution fee is an additional $35. If you want expedited it’s an additional $60.
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/passports/forms-fees/Passport Fees Chart_TSG_JAN 2022.pdf
Government requires passports to be free to travel, government should pay for it. A function of government that taxes should pay for but I guess that tax money goes to many other "essential" functions. Think it is time to rewatch the movie "Brazil" where a woman get a bill for her husband's abduction by government goon squad.

I used to fill out drop/add slips and add myself to a course and sign my own name. That way they could never accuse me of forgery. Worked every time.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
ADVERTISEMENT