ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurricane Ian to Bring Major to Catastrophic Impacts to Cuba/Florida (and 2022 Tropical Weather Thread):

Now I'm not fancy meteorologist but I have to conclude we have gotten more rain than Florida at this point from Ian.

Now I'm not fancy meteorologist but I have to conclude we have gotten more rain than Florida at this point from Ian.

Nah.

We're at about 4", across CNJ south of 95. It's a lot, but it's not hurricane-level.

2-4" along 95 over the last 3 days, 4-8" towards the coast, and 1-2" NW of 95. Far less than the 10-20" that were common across wide swaths of central Florida (in an area much bigger than NJ) and 6-10" in much of the rest of the state.

Reactions: thegock
Nah.

We're at about 4", across CNJ south of 95. It's a lot, but it's not hurricane-level.

2-4" along 95 over the last 3 days, 4-8" towards the coast, and 1-2" NW of 95. Far less than the 10-20" that were common across wide swaths of central Florida (in an area much bigger than NJ) and 6-10" in much of the rest of the state.

No way. We've had like 87 inches of rain. And according to my calculations it's been raining for 15 straight days.

Reactions: iReC89 and gmay8
What is your estimate of the total volume of rain a storm like this generates over its life?

What is your estimate of the total volume of rain a storm like this generates over its life?
Single handedly ending drought conditions on the entire eastern seaboard. They need a few of these to hit California, Arizona, Nevada, and all those other drought stricken western states.

in days, yes, in amounts, no. There is still flow from the Ian rain blocking roads and, in Florida, there is so much water that there are many chokepoints where there is no good way to "go around" the blockage. Schools will open Tuesday and Wednesday after closing for Ian.

Absolutely beautiful day down here today.. Orlando area. Saw some down trees in the area.

Now.. I am a bit shocked that it is still hanging around where it is... when is it going to move along and go rain on the Canadian maritime on way to Europe?

Assuming you mean over land and sea and from the time it was a tropical wave until it ceased to be a tropical entity at all (Saturday night - could go longer, but since then it was more of a standard low pressure system), then I'd take the roughly 2000 mile long path and also assume roughly a 300 mile precip width to get about 600,000 square miles, which is about 17 trillion square feet, and then I'd guess about 3" (0.25 feet) of rainfall, on average across the storm (that's a WAG, since some areas got 20" and some got nada), which translates to 4.25 trillion cubic feet, which then converts to about 32 trillion gallons of rainfall (7.48 gallons per cubic foot). That'll fill a few pools...and basements.

Assuming you mean over land and sea and from the time it was a tropical wave until it ceased to be a tropical entity at all (Saturday night - could go longer, but since then it was more of a standard low pressure system), then I'd take the roughly 2000 mile long path and also assume roughly a 300 mile precip width to get about 600,000 square miles, which is about 17 trillion square feet, and then I'd guess about 3" (0.25 feet) of rainfall, on average across the storm (that's a WAG, since some areas got 20" and some got nada), which translates to 4.25 trillion cubic feet, which then converts to about 32 trillion gallons of rainfall (7.48 gallons per cubic foot). That'll fill a few pools...and basements.

That's a lot.

Single handedly ending drought conditions on the entire eastern seaboard. They need a few of these to hit California, Arizona, Nevada, and all those other drought stricken western states.
That region of the country isn't a desert for nothing. Centuries of little rain does that. But hey, build more houses & pump in river water for agriculture...

bYXe8yv.jpg

Still have another day of this slop too.

We have a rain gauge that was emptied on Wednesday. It maxes out around 8 inches. It was at 7-7.5 inches this morning, and when I checked this evening, it was overflowing. I'm guessing we have had about 9-10 inches in South Monmouth, about 3 miles West of the Atlantic Ocean.

Not sure how else to get this to you, but thought you might be interested. IIRC, the news site is paywalled. Have you been to Flagstaff?

We have a rain gauge that was emptied on Wednesday. It maxes out around 8 inches. It was at 7-7.5 inches this morning, and when I checked this evening, it was overflowing. I'm guessing we have had about 9-10 inches in South Monmouth, about 3 miles West of the Atlantic Ocean.
Yep, that's really close to the max rainfall for the area in Ocean County, from the radar composite, which @rurichdog posted (and which is what I was looking at when I made my post on NJ rainfall ranges). It is a bit higher than what the radar shows, though, which can always happen locally. Lot of rain. We're at about 3.5" and the amazing thing is everywhere north of 80 has seen <1" and well less than 1" in far NWNJ.

in days, yes, in amounts, no. There is still flow from the Ian rain blocking roads and, in Florida, there is so much water that there are many chokepoints where there is no good way to "go around" the blockage. Schools will open Tuesday and Wednesday after closing for Ian.

Absolutely beautiful day down here today.. Orlando area. Saw some down trees in the area.

Now.. I am a bit shocked that it is still hanging around where it is... when is it going to move along and go rain on the Canadian maritime on way to Europe?
How bad did Orlando get hit? (I went to high school there a million years ago.) I know Lake Eola flooded some of downtown -- anything else of note? I hear nothing from my high school alumni group on facebook.

How bad did Orlando get hit? (I went to high school there a million years ago.) I know Lake Eola flooded some of downtown -- anything else of note? I hear nothing from my high school alumni group on facebook.
Orlando had major flooding from 10-15" rains and significant wind damage, also, from Cat 1 hurricane force wind gusts.

https://www.wesh.com/article/rainfall-totals-hurricane-ian/41494992

https://www.wesh.com/article/hurricane-ian-flooding-orlando/41453236

Reactions: retired711
It sure has sucked. Not only the tidal flooding, wind gusts 45-50, and rain but I also had 2 power outages yesterday. Not sure how long the 1st one was because power was out when I woke up. The 2nd was only a couple hours in the late afternoon.

Ah, life at the beach right?

It sure has sucked. Not only the tidal flooding, wind gusts 45-50, and rain but I also had 2 power outages yesterday. Not sure how long the 1st one was because power was out when I woke up. The 2nd was only a couple hours in the late afternoon.

Nephew has a winter rental oceanfront by the inlet and was at my Sister’s all day in Sea Girt because of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: knightfan7
Relatives in Cape Coral are saying that it could be as much as 6 months for power to be restored.
Serious damage to the entire system.

My co-worker owns 2 condos in Fort Meyers and lived more inland. 1 wiped out and the other maybe salvageable (but it was in the process of being renovated). Both cars floated away. She's been staying in a hotel in Tampa and needs to commute back and forth to meet with adjusters. It's real bad there. AC units all shot so good luck getting that back quickly. Hopefully weather stays cooler for all impacted.

• Sad
Reactions: rurichdog
Orlando got nothing compared to areas south and west.. and even the east coast got worse. Here is the city's latest update...

Seeing the limestone sinkholes destroying roads to the southwest.. like poor Arcadia.. I wonder if the excessive water still flowing over local roads, some passable, some not, will end up with more permanent damage to them. Some culverts were just too narrow to handle that much rainfall, that quickly. You know that's a common occurrence in the local downpours that come regularly in the summer months... but this was spread out over a huge area.. and water flows down the peninsula as a whole.. forming the everglades eventually. Those roads they built in straight lines east-west across the glades... they cut off a lot of natural flow as well.. I think there have been building projects to help alleviate that... raising sections of road.

we are about to have our 3rd evening in a row of flooding. Haven't seen it this bad in awhile and all due to the wind blowing water into the bay. Major street flooding since Sunday. The crazy thing is it comes up so fast too, all within a couple hours.

Well we kept clear of the rain until last night, then it came through Northern Jersey with a vengeance. Since last night we've gotten 2 5/8 inches of rain. And since Sunday night the temperature hasn't gotten above 48°.

bYXe8yv.jpg

Still have another day of this slop too.
The one saving grace with all the rain in our area has been that it's fallen over 3+ days, meaning urban and river flooding has been minimal, as that is often a function of heavy rain over a short period of time. In fact, I'd call it a blessing for most as we've been able to put a huge dent in the statewide drought (except N of 80, where generally only 1-2" of rain has fallen) with this rain without producing much flooding.

Hey - I use that same radar composite rainfall site, but wish it had historical views (it's only up to the current time, up to 72 hours) - do you know of a site that has 3-4 day radar composites for any timeframe for any location? For example, I'd love to look back at this for Florida during Ian. I forgot to save the graphic from a few days ago. TIA.

Reactions: rurichdog
we are about to have our 3rd evening in a row of flooding. Haven't seen it this bad in awhile and all due to the wind blowing water into the bay. Major street flooding since Sunday. The crazy thing is it comes up so fast too, all within a couple hours.

I use PredictWind for sailing forecasts. A quick check of the current conditions shows that it's still very much a closed low. Highest winds are about 60 nm east of Manasquan Inlet, at 17' - but the waves coming onshore are still 10-11'. And it's just sitting out there.

Reactions: newell138
My aunt, whose condo building faces the Sanibel bridge, won't be allowed back into her building for several months. The roof is gone and a wall is damaged, let alone the power and water to the building.

We just heard today for the first time from one of my cousins in Port Orange, just outside of Daytona. They were evacuated after their houses started to flood. The other cousin, who lives next door, was taken away by the National Guard. We haven't been able to locate her.

Yup. 3:30 was the biggest tidal flood threat of the 3 but I'm high and dry. A good portion of the beach area east and a bit west of the bridges has flooding, somewhat more than yesterday, but nothing we don't see a few times a year from what I can tell.

I don't seem to remember a storm that lasted this long in the almost 30 years I've lived here.

Reactions: newell138
Yup. 3:30 was the biggest tidal flood threat of the 3 but I'm high and dry. A good portion of the beach area east and a bit west of the bridges has flooding, somewhat more than yesterday, but nothing we don't see a few times a year from what I can tell.

I don't seem to remember a storm that lasted this long in the almost 30 years I've lived here.
Agreed. 3 days and counting The worst part is this cloudy rainy weather is depleting my tan

Reactions: Jm0513

Were you there in Oct 91 for the Perfect Storm or for the Dec 92 nor'easter? Both spent a few days meandering offshore with many tide cycles of flooding...

ADVERTISEMENT