ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurricane Isaias: heavy rain, high winds, and flooding in SC/NC/VA/MD/DE/PA/NJ/NY/New England

Saturday. My home in Morris County (JCP&L) still without power. Yet neighbors on the street behind us and up the block have had power since Wednesday night.

This is beyond absurd at this point. This wasn’t a CAT 5 on an island in the Caribbean. This state’s infrastructure sucks.
I feel your pain.
Mine was restored 4pm Friday. Then back off from 6-2am. The town is working on a massive amount of outages and that is to be expected they say, but it's really frustrating. And now my damn oven is beeping in error and needs to be repaired. I'm complaining sorry lol

Reactions: BoogieKnight
I feel your pain.
Mine was restored 4pm Friday. Then back off from 6-2am. The town is working on a massive amount of outages and that is to be expected they say, but it's really frustrating.
First Energy is going to catch hell for this once the outages have been resolved. And they deserve to. They absolutely suck.

Tell your neighbors to trim their f***ing trees. Screw your tree-lined oasis in exclusive Morris County

Okay....

Or tell JCP&L to get a better handle on their grids. We’re only here 7 years but heard this happened before where our little pocket was out long after the neighborhood’s power was restored. It took the then mayor to come see for themselves.

We know where the mayor lives and pics of her house with lights on will go up on social media tonight if nothing is done. Clearly she has a line right into First Energy because I was told power was restored to our pocket within an hour of the mayor’s visit last time.

Reactions: Jm0513
It's the utilities, not the government, that is responsible for delivering electricity and maintaining wires. The state has a Public Utilities Commission that tries to make the utilities improve their ability to cope with storms, but it's not easy going. My impressioni us that that a lot of the outages are from trees that fall on wires; there's no way around that except to kill every tree even remotely near a power line, or underground everything, which would be very expensive (and the utilities are entitled to pass on their costs to consumers.) I don't think NJ is any worse with power failures that other states; it's just a hard problem to cope with.

WVU ice storm detached the service from my house.
I was without power for 10 days.
I feel terrible for all of you having to endure this in summer conditions.
Were your power lines run behind your house? My sister and brother-in-law live in Montclair and that is the case with them. The logistics always led to delays. I was lucky enough to get power back within three days of Sandy and had them stay with me. They decided to tough out the WVU special because the kids still had school.

And it’s peace of mind not “piece” of mind. And **** a generator. Next house we are looking in neighborhoods that have their power lines run underground to supplying substation.

This state is a fvcking joke.

The power lines in my development are all underground. It's everything leading into here that is above ground. So frustrating. Our power did come back on around 10pm Thursday night.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
I feel your pain.
Mine was restored 4pm Friday. Then back off from 6-2am. The town is working on a massive amount of outages and that is to be expected they say, but it's really frustrating. And now my damn oven is beeping in error and needs to be repaired. I'm complaining sorry lol
try unplugging your oven and "rebooting" it? Doubt it would work but you never know.

It's the utilities, not the government, that is responsible for delivering electricity and maintaining wires. The state has a Public Utilities Commission that tries to make the utilities improve their ability to cope with storms, but it's not easy going. My impressioni us that that a lot of the outages are from trees that fall on wires; there's no way around that except to kill every tree even remotely near a power line, or underground everything, which would be very expensive (and the utilities are entitled to pass on their costs to consumers.) I don't think NJ is any worse with power failures that other states; it's just a hard problem to cope with.
How about the utilities "underground" everything and pay for it with allowing them to provide modern broadband to compete with cable companies? Or, just make the cable companies pay for it.

No, you're right. Sometimes that does the trick. Unfortunately, no luck for me though.
Probably got as power spike on power loss or return.. maybe even a nearby lightning strike. I had a lawn sprinkler control box in my garage killed by a power spike from lightning. It showed itself by one zone always remaining active if system was on and waiting for a time to start its program.. luckily I had my old "dumb" sprinkler control handly. Years later now.. still haven't reinstalled the smart sprinkler controller after it was fixed.

Last edited:
How about the utilities "underground" everything and pay for it with allowing them to provide modern broadband to compete with cable companies? Or, just make the cable companies pay for it.
https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/12/us/winter-storm-power-lines/index.html

An old story, but NC looked into it. Estimated $41bn to bury it all. Not sure if this includes the high tension lines as well. Can only imagine what it would cost in NJ. Ton of right of way considerations as well.

Reactions: retired711
Were your power lines run behind your house? My sister and brother-in-law live in Montclair and that is the case with them. The logistics always led to delays. I was lucky enough to get power back within three days of Sandy and had them stay with me. They decided to tough out the WVU special because the kids still had school.
Yes, my service come from a pole on my property line behind my house.
I was the only house out, which means they come to help me last.
The first question I ask when someone tells me they’ve lost power is are your neighbors out also?

Reactions: RUPete

The lines that bring you electricity are electric utility lines. They do not have the slightest thing to do with cable or FIOS. And the cost would be fantastic. It wouldn't even guarantee against power failures caused by a problem at the utility plant or with the lines that bring electricity to your area.

The lines that bring you electricity are electric utility lines. They do not have the slightest thing to do with cable or FIOS. And the cost would be fantastic. It wouldn't even guarantee against power failures caused by a problem at the utility plant or with the lines that bring electricity to your area.
DUH.... if they are burying everything they have room to add new lines. It would solve several problems.. wind issues with power lines (maybe some power line EMR issues some people claim affects health) and add needed competition in the broadband market if not cable TV market.

Last edited:
DUH.... if they are burying everything they have room to add new lines. It would solve several problems.. wind issues with power lines (maybe some power line EMR issues some people claim affects health) and add needed competition in the broadband market if not cable TV market.

As pointed out by @RUevolution36, this would be a fantastically expensive project. And why do you think the cable company is going to want to subsidize the cost of burying power lines?

As pointed out by @RUevolution36, this would be a fantastically expensive project. And why do you think the cable company is going to want to subsidize the cost of burying power lines?
Verizon couldn't even finish out the rollout of Fios to all of NJ, as they originally promised the state. Too much $ and too complicated. Putting wires in the ground (of any type) is way more complicated than you think.

Probably got as power spike on power loss or return.. maybe even a nearby lightning strike.
A week and a half before the storm, we had a short 2-3 minute power outage here, we think a transformer blew. But it fried our WiFi extender, so we need to replace it.
Verizon couldn't even finish out the rollout of Fios to all of NJ, as they originally promised the state. Too much $ and too complicated. Putting wires in the ground (of any type) is way more complicated than you think.
Yep, we never got it here in Wayne.

Couldn't?

Couldn't?

Sure they could have. They chose not to. They did the bare minimum to satisfy the deal they got from the state.. (and I don't think they actually met the terms of the deal, iirc).. then put their investment into their cellular business.

Stop the Cap: FIOS expansion is still dead

Anyone with solar panels keep power despite the power companies power to their home being out?

Last edited:
Our neighborhood's lines are all underground, but there's a pole on the main street that feeds into our area of about 45 homes so we're still subjected to line/pole issues further upstream in the electrical grid. At least no individual house is impacted, though... when one of us is out, we're all out.

Couldn't?

Couldn't?

Sure they could have. They chose not to. They did the bare minimum to satisfy the deal they got from the state.. (and I don't think they actually met the terms of the deal, iirc).. then put their investment into their cellular business.

Stop the Cap: FIOS expansion is still dead

Anyone with solar panels keep power despite the power companies power to their home being out?
They didn't meet the terms. They renegotiated at least once and then gave up and said they were done.

Yes, my service come from a pole on my property line behind my house.
I was the only house out, which means they come to help me last.
The first question I ask when someone tells me they’ve lost power is are your neighbors out also?

My next door neighbor never lost power because their line comes from behind their house while the rest of the street did because our lines come from the front.

They didn't meet the terms. They renegotiated at least once and then gave up and said they were done.
My point is they COULD HAVE with the terms they were given... unless they went into it with a plan all along to hit the wealthier communities and do the bare minimum in the more difficult "last mile" areas. But mobile was making money hand over fist and they sent their investments that way. But they COULD HAVE done it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT