ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I am now officially retired!

As of today, I am retired from Rutgers -- maybe I should rename myself "camdenlawprofemeritus?" I have enjoyed being a professor, but it is now time to kick back and spend my time as I wish and that includes being in touch here. Best wishes to all of you!!
Haven’t you been kicking back this entire time already? Since your retired from that extreme workload. In your opinion why is the cost of higher Ed so high? My neighbors kid is deciding on Villanova, Boston College, and Fordham. By the end of 4 years it will be close to $300G total.

Haven’t you been kicking back this entire time already? Since your retired from that extreme workload. In your opinion why is the cost of higher Ed so high? My neighbors kid is deciding on Villanova, Boston College, and Fordham. By the end of 4 years it will be close to $300G total.

I'm sure you're aware that the kid (assuming New Jersey residence) could save a lot of money by going to Rutgers. I understand why someone might prefer to go to a college or university with a Catholic orientation, but there is a stiff financial price to be paid for doing that.

I'm sure you're aware that the kid (assuming New Jersey residence) could save a lot of money by going to Rutgers. I understand why someone might prefer to go to a college or university with a Catholic orientation, but there is a stiff financial price to be paid for doing that.
Of course I am aware my kid went to TCNJ. RUTGERS and TCNJ are now closer to $30G a year for room board tuition. It’s a bargain compared to private’s but in no way affordable to the average person. Again I did not ask you to tell me what I knew already comparing the prices of the above mentioned schools to RUTGERS but why is college so expensive? You just retired so I’m interested in what your opinion is.

Reactions: rucoe89
Awesome news! Enjoy your retirement. Now you have time to go to alot more RU games. Best of luck.

Reactions: retired711
Of course I am aware my kid went to TCNJ. RUTGERS and TCNJ are now closer to $30G a year for room board tuition. It’s a bargain compared to private’s but in no way affordable to the average person. Again I did not ask you to tell me what I knew already comparing the prices of the above mentioned schools to RUTGERS but why is college so expensive? You just retired so I’m interested in what your opinion is.

When complaining about the high cost of college, you shouldn't be including the cost of room and board. Your kid is going to need food and a place to sleep whether he goes to college or not. If the cost of room and board from the college is too high, there are cheaper options, such as off-campus housing or living at home and commuting.

I always thought TCNJ was a lot more expensive than RU. Isn't it?

As of today, I am retired from Rutgers -- maybe I should rename myself "camdenlawprofemeritus?" I have enjoyed being a professor, but it is now time to kick back and spend my time as I wish and that includes being in touch here. Best wishes to all of you!!

That is great, enjoy retirement! Don't stop posting here though, I mean now you have more free time anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You just named 4 expensive Private schools. Why choose those besides for religious reasons? If not for religious reasons, then public in state is the way to go.

The cheapest and easiest way to go to Rutgers is to go to community college for two years and then transfer to Rutgers for the last two and live off campus. Apply for scholarships! Plenty of scholarships are to be had for poor students who can't afford college and for students who are not poor but have great grades and test scores. If you have both, college is basically free! (not including food and misc cost)

That will save you a ton of money plus it is easier to transfer to Rutgers - New Brunswick from a CC with good grades than to get into RU-NB straight from HS.

As your biggest fan nobody is happier than me in the thread, @camdenlawprof

Enjoy every minute of your new future. Including as you said spending some of it with us right here.

Congrats camdenlawprof. Enjoy your new life. Work will never again conflict with the things you want to do in life.

Typical of this board a poster announces his retirement as a college prof and it gets threadjacked into a question of why college is so expensive. We are very good at this sort of thing.

Congratulations. One of the benefits of course is not having to answer as many stupid questions if you don’t want to!!

Reactions: gogs7
You = Lazy
:)

You just named 4 expensive Private schools. Why choose those besides for religious reasons? If not for religious reasons, then public in state is the way to go.

The cheapest and easiest way to go to Rutgers is to go to community college for two years and then transfer to Rutgers for the last two and live off campus. Apply for scholarships! Plenty of scholarships are to be had for poor students who can't afford college and for students who are not poor but have great grades and test scores. If you have both, college is basically free! (not including food and misc cost)

That will save you a ton of money plus it is easier to transfer to Rutgers - New Brunswick from a CC with good grades than to get into RU-NB straight from HS.
Even out of state public school is cheaper than those private schools.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge
As a long time retiree, my advice to you is to find new interests to fill up those days. I did and it really makes a huge positive difference.

10 years retired. Keep yourself busy and keep your time on the board to a minimum especially on the CE board. It may take a year or two to feel comfortable in retirement.

When complaining about the high cost of college, you shouldn't be including the cost of room and board. Your kid is going to need food and a place to sleep whether he goes to college or not. If the cost of room and board from the college is too high, there are cheaper options, such as off-campus housing or living at home and commuting.
I think you neglected to read the NJ parents' manual. It's standard operating procedure when comparing costs of education. You take the liberal sum of annual expenses for Rutgers tuition, room, board, books, fees, travel expenses, pizza money, beer money, pocket money, traffic ticket money; then compare it to tuition alone for one semester at X college out-of-state. Then you complain about why is Rutgers so expensive and come to the conclusion that you must send your kid to the out-of-state school.

I think you neglected to read the NJ parents' manual. It's standard operating procedure when comparing costs of education. You take the liberal sum of annual expenses for Rutgers tuition, room, board, books, fees, travel expenses, pizza money, beer money, pocket money, traffic ticket money; then compare it to tuition alone for one semester at X college out-of-state. Then you complain about why is Rutgers so expensive and come to the conclusion that you must send your kid to the out-of-state school.

The crazy part is that is not even a joke.

So many people have done that to me. When I tell them the real cost, they don't believe it or tell me that those fees can be waived.. which is not how it works.

Reactions: RUSK97
As of today, I am retired from Rutgers -- maybe I should rename myself "camdenlawprofemeritus?" I have enjoyed being a professor, but it is now time to kick back and spend my time as I wish and that includes being in touch here. Best wishes to all of you! quote] Congratulations. Enjoy every moment of your new Life, in great good health and happiness.(Now that you are not officially connected to RU,perhaps the Hex has left with you.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

As a long time retiree, my advice to you is to find new interests to fill up those days. I did and it really makes a huge positive difference.
Suggestions on that?
Have a friend who retired at 53, and he said that 6 months into retirement that he is tired of golfing and fishing.

Congratulations,
I retired earlier in June, in my mid
Seventies, hurt my self twice trying
To keep busy riding my bike and working around the house. Should
Having retired sooner. So today
Is my first day of doing nothing, and
Starting my new life, 57 years of working is enough.

Congratulations,
I retired earlier in June, in my mid
Seventies, hurt my self twice trying
To keep busy riding my bike and working around the house. Should
Having retired sooner. So today
Is my first day of doing nothing, and
Starting my new life, 57 years of working is enough.
That’s true. People if they want to enjoy their retirement should do it earlier since they might not be capable physically and mentally later in life if you can do it financially. I retired at 53 and no regrets.

That’s true. People if they want to enjoy their retirement should do it earlier since they might not be capable physically and mentally later in life if you can do it financially. I retired at 53 and no regrets.
That,s great. Even at 66 I could not afford, it but i got to build up our nest egg. But a few years earlier would have been nice. At 70 i had a house full of independents

If you know people who think they can not afford Rutgers, the Bridging The Gap program provides 100 percent tuition for families with an adjusted gross income under $60,000, 75 percent tuition in the $60,000 to $80,000 range, and 50 percent for the $80,000 to $100,000 range for Rutgers students at the Camden campus.

Congratulations, Professor! Hoping to join your ranks someday soon!

@chrisru99 -- As you know -- Rutgers and TCNJ are both great schools that are cheaper. But to each their own in your neighbors case and for many the school is about prestige. In the Northeast that means private from what I have observed over the years.

What makes school so more expensive? I think much of it is an arms race we see in all organizations today. The mantra "attract the best and the brightest" means you have to layout significant expenses in order to keep ahead. This means top quality professors (they demand the money just like free agents), top quality support staff, top quality facilities, etc.). The money had to come from somewhere and that was either private support (think the alumni or foundation giving to institutions) and/or tuition. If you don't have enough of the former, you have to rely on the latter. The private support got leveraged directly (faculty chairs, buildings, scholarships) or put into endowments. At the same time you want to attract best and brightest hoping they succeed and give back, but some can't afford it. You draw from scholarships or endowments. If not enough scholarships, you draw from endowments. This is also where monies for other school investments is drawn from. Over time if that is not replenished that depletes and you need tuition dollars to keep things going. It is pretty viscous for private schools right now and within 25 years folks should not be surprised if over 25% (if not more) disappear. State institutions are also feeling pressure. Historically (over 50 years ago) their support predominately came from government. As the movement to reduce taxes and spending in government took root over time, state institutions got less and less public support, but had to keep up with investments. This led to states having to raise tuition in order to have the things necessary to succeed. I think society needs to invest in education and would like to see states get more support. California's investment in its system was monumental in helping drive the state's success. Yes, it can be painful as a taxpayer, but it would be more painful to not have a society that is educated and helping advance things forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUnTeX
ADVERTISEMENT