OT: Identify weed

wcfan10

Sophomore
Feb 22, 2010
IMG_20170430_1215481_zpsf21libgu.jpg
a>

a>

Hi,

I just noticed this morning that I have a light green weed that is taking over my lawn.
its a light green weed that looks like crabgrass but it has like miniature cornstalks on them and they spread very aggressively. I have about 20 sqt feet of this and other parts of the lawn.

I was wondering if there is a weed killer than can knock this wee d out without killing the grass? I'd hate to use Roundup, and then seed again....

I took pictures of it, but I'm not sure how to upload them on this site.

IMG_20170430_121527_zpshcuoubb0.jpg

thanks

Last edited:
When it's in brownie form, it's a real PITA and can cause a lot of problems.

https://njaes.rutgers.edu/weeds/thumbnail.asp

Is it any of these? A picture would really help.

Side note: I've been fighting turfgrass weeds ever since I bought my house 18 months ago, and found 1 that wasn't even listed on that site. After some googling I found out I had an invasive weed called kyllinga, and the only stuff that would kill it but keep the grass was some expensive stuff off Amazon.

Seems like a Google image search would go a long way. Don't think there's a way to upload pics here, can only link pics hosted somewhere else online

I hate to plug another school's website but the best weed and grass identifier tool I have found is on the NC State Turffiles site. Grasses and weeds are primarily identified by a dozen or so characteristics (e.g., root structure, leaf blade, seed head type, ligule type, auricles type, etc.). The tool describes and defines these characteristics through text and pictures. Based on your observations and description it helps you identify the grass/weed. Sort of a decision tree approach. Once you identify the grass or weed you can look for a herbicide that can help (hopefully). Some herbicides are effective against certain weeds but not others. Round up for lawns is a selective herbicide that is effective against many, although not all, weeds but won't hurt your lawn if used as directed. The weed be gone products are also "selective" herbicides that have different active ingredients for different sets of weeds and safe for your lawn if used as directed. There are specialty herbicides, some of which are available for residential use, that are often more expensive but also can be more effective. Make sure you closely follow the label and instructions with any herbicide.

Sounds like poa annua, an annual bluegrass.
Could be, impossible to tell for sure with the brief description. If it is, mesotrione is probably the best remedy. It's a multiple inning battle if it is, so to speak. Most poa annua, though not all, is a fall germinating
Grass. So you're looking at a multi application program. Again, grass/weed identification from the info that what was provided is questionable.

Hi,

I just noticed this morning that I have a light green weed that is taking over my lawn.
its a light green weed that looks like crabgrass but it has like miniature cornstalks on them and they spread very aggressively. I have about 20 sqt feet of this and other parts of the lawn.

I was wondering if there is a weed killer than can knock this wee d out without killing the grass? I'd hate to use Roundup, and then seed again....

I took pictures of it, but I'm not sure how to upload them on this site.

thanks

Well back in the day when a lid cost $20 dollars there was:
a. Acapulco Gold
b. Panama Red
c. Thai Stick
d. And some home grown varieties usually laced with STP or PCP or horse tranquilizers

Why do you ask....what have you been smoking?

MO

Reactions: jared04
I attached 2 pics on the first post of this thread.
Spanky - Thanks for your kind offer. but my e-mail to your account kept bouncing back. thanks.

Last edited:
Picture looks like poa annua to me. Multiple applications of mesotrione will control it. Also use a good pre emergent in late summer or early fall to help prevent the crop next spring. Dithiopyr (Dimension) is a good one.

Video above says that the grass is reproducing. Maybe he should call planned parenthood for a solution. Saw a guy next door to me throwing condoms all over his lawn. Maybe he took the video too literally.
All the more reason to mix clover seed in with your grass seed. When plants reproduce (go to seed or flower), they absorb higher amounts of nitrogen from the soil than during normal growth. Clover, and other legumes, take nitrogen from the air and convert it to a plant usable form in the soil.
IIRC, clover seed used to be sold as a part of grass seed mixes. Does anyone remember this? What happened? Why is clover now thought of as a weed? It's one of the best possible things to grow for soil health.

Reactions: gef21
Based on the stuff above and a couple pics.. I think I have that poa annua / bluegrass problem.. from what I read on the Scotts site.. the wet spring/ heavy dew mornings may be helping this grow a bit.. they suggest less frequent and more deep/saturation watering and to keep your grass tall.. which I don't understand because this stuff has been outgrowing the regular grass

Look at the stem/stalk in the lower right.. its pretty dark and brown.. not usual for normal "grass"... this is in a shady spot under a large oak..

21ne636.jpg

though out of focus.. you can see the seed blossom on this stem that eluded the mowers blade
2vcj585.jpg

Looks to be a cross of, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing thing is, you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus on this stuff.

Reactions: jared04
All the more reason to mix clover seed in with your grass seed. When plants reproduce (go to seed or flower), they absorb higher amounts of nitrogen from the soil than during normal growth. Clover, and other legumes, take nitrogen from the air and convert it to a plant usable form in the soil.
IIRC, clover seed used to be sold as a part of grass seed mixes. Does anyone remember this? What happened? Why is clover now thought of as a weed? It's one of the best possible things to grow for soil health.

I add clover to my mix every single year.

The first picture looks like the grass seeding itself, but the second looks like a weed that I'm currently dealing with. It looks a little like seeding grass, but it's lighter in color and pulls out easily with almost no roots. First time I've seen this in my lawn.

The first picture looks like the grass seeding itself, but the second looks like a weed that I'm currently dealing with. It looks a little like seeding grass, but it's lighter in color and pulls out easily with almost no roots. First time I've seen this in my lawn.

By reading this thread and many others I'm reminded that this board has many different views and interests. I don't personally care where people place their lawn in terms of priority but obviously others do. Some are fine with anything green, some want a monostand that is close to perfect. Different strokes for different folks. "Grass" includes many types and cultivars. Crab grass is a grass, as is Quack, poa annua, poa trivialis, Japanese stilt grass and hundreds of others. If you do place an importance on uniformity and the way the lawn looks you probably don't want what some view as "undesirable" grasses or weeds. MAny grasses do seed this time of year. If you care or want a monostand or uniform lawn you probably don't want something like poa annua. KBG has rhizomes and won't pull out easily and is darker than poa annua. If you don't care, fine, if you do care you can look at any good turf university website for more info.

ADVERTISEMENT