ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If you WANT to get corona just go to Lakewood

Even if delivery was infeasible due to not typically being part of the calculus for a liquor store owner/operator, it would be great if liquor stores could adjust by offering a pickup service so folks wouldn't have to go inside if they didn't want to.

A drive through liquor barn could be a nice option in these times.
There is one in Brick, I think, but that is close to Lakewood.

Even if delivery was infeasible due to not typically being part of the calculus for a liquor store owner/operator, it would be great if liquor stores could adjust by offering a pickup service so folks wouldn't have to go inside if they didn't want to.

There is one in Brick, I think, but that is close to Lakewood.
I think there used to be one right on the NJ side of the Goethals Bridge. Bayway Liquors?

Lots of guys I have worked with would go there.

I think there used to be one right on the NJ side of the Goethals Bridge. Bayway Liquors?

Lots of guys I have worked with would go there.
There used to one outside Bound Brook and Somerville I believe in Finderne right by the UPS depot. Was barn style you drove in popped the trunk in went your order and drove out the other side.

Reactions: RUnTeX

Joe Canal’s in Lawrenceville does curbside pickup. They have been closing the store to walk ins intermittently but have kept up curbside pickup. Works well.

For some, religion is a necessity, and so is exercise, which is often done in state parks/forests--hiking, trail running, mountain bike riding, all of which are often and easily practiced at social distancing. For some, religion provide mental well-being. Exercise promotes physical and mental well-being, and this has been scientifically proven.

What kind of message are you sending? Turn to drugs and alcohol?

Bringing it full circle. A day or two after the Gov. closed state parks and forests, a bicycle rider was killed by a drunk driver in Ocean County. Wonder if that bike rider had the option to ride in a State park or forest if he would have chose that option.
Absolutely not ... the state is more apt to open liquor stores and go easy on those seeking to buy drugs... I’m for religious freedoms , exercise is great just not when 500-600 people are within an 1/8 of a mile of each other . I miss my park walks ... the upcoming beach time....I don’t have a problem with golf , tennis either....what Tucker Carlson was asking Murphy is why the right to practice one’s religion is off the table... What the governor should have said this will be corrected sooner rather than later... and left it at that... Murphy’s reply of “ it’s above my pay grade “ ... it was not well thought out... and about the Bill of Rights not good... but it was a tough situation to be put into for Murphy.

Absolutely not ... the state is more apt to open liquor stores and go easy on those seeking to buy drugs... I’m for religious freedoms , exercise is great just not when 500-600 people are within an 1/8 of a mile of each other . I miss my park walks ... the upcoming beach time....I don’t have a problem with golf , tennis either....what Tucker Carlson was asking Murphy is why the right to practice one’s religion is off the table... What the governor should have said this will be corrected sooner rather than later... and left it at that... Murphy’s reply of “ it’s above my pay grade “ ... it was not well thought out... and about the Bill of Rights not good... but it was a tough situation to be put into for Murphy.
Agree. It wasn’t the best reply. What the Governor should have said is what I posted earlier in the thread...

He didn’t say you couldn’t worship. It’s the public assembly thing the State is trying to control.

My family and I have been going to Mass via streaming with different parish’s. In this day and age, that’s not hard to pull off.

Or even some good old fashioned Bible, Torah or Quran study.

I see liquor stores as essential. Sadly, there are many alcoholics amongst us. Suddenly cutting off their drug will lead to serious medical issues, and we can't overburden the already overburdened hospitals. Not to mention the potential for violence. That's what Murphy should have said. Instead, he danced around the answer. The truth is always better.

Does anyone know what the # of covid cases are in Lakewood right now? The last number I have 1,143 from two days ago. Been looking for daily updates but all sources are at the number above.
BTW I think the REAL number is a lot higher than that but the state is purposely reducing the numbers.

Does anyone know what the # of covid cases are in Lakewood right now? The last number I have 1,143 from two days ago. Been looking for daily updates but all sources are at the number above.
BTW I think the REAL number is a lot higher than that but the state is purposely reducing the numbers.

1214 cases in Lakewood.

APP.com gives a daily listing of cases by town.

There was a drive through beer store in a Brick until a few years ago. There is at least one liquor store delivering in the shore area.

Reactions: Knight Shift
1214 cases in Lakewood.

Those numbers are seriously skewed. The residents of Lakewood are being instructed to not get tested. They have crowd sourced a network of Hatzulah, home care services etc.. to administer oxygen meds at peoples homes. Many within this community own home care, Skilled Nursing Facilities etc. so there are a lot of resources. I bet the number of infected to be easily 10 times the reported number.

Those numbers are seriously skewed. The residents of Lakewood are being instructed to not get tested. They have crowd sourced a network of Hatzulah, home care services etc.. to administer oxygen meds at peoples homes. Many within this community own home care, Skilled Nursing Facilities etc. so there are a lot of resources. I bet the number of infected to be easily 10 times the reported number.

Interesting. So this community could truly become (or is) a super pod for positive cases. It would make sense given their cavalier attitudes and reckless disregard for the mandates. How do you know so much about their infrastructure and practices? And if it keeps them home and out of the community/local hospitals, give them all the Hatzulah they want!!!

Interesting. So this community could truly become (or is) a super pod for positive cases. It would make sense given their cavalier attitudes and reckless disregard for the mandates. How do you know so much about their infrastructure and practices? And if it keeps them home and out of the community/local hospitals, give them all the Hatzulah they want!!!
I have been consulting in the senior care space for the better part of the decade. So I am familiar with these players.

You can also read it the other way. They continue to create an unsafe environment for surrounding communities when they continue to disregard social distancing parameters and leave their insular community. Also reckless disregard for first responders and healthcare workers when they can no longer care for their own. There is also the hoarding of necessary equipment and supplies for a select few rather than the common greater good.

I have been consulting in the senior care space for the better part of the decade. So I am familiar with these players.

You can also read it the other way. They continue to create an unsafe environment for surrounding communities when they continue to disregard social distancing parameters and leave their insular community. Also reckless disregard for first responders and healthcare workers when they can no longer care for their own. There is also the hoarding of necessary equipment and supplies for a select few rather than the common greater good.

Agreed, and I appreciate your input....my response was losely based around some sarcasm that they would shelter in place with their own in home care, not rely on first responders/healthcare system, and not go out into the community. But most of us realize the chances of that are pretty much zero.

Agreed, and I appreciate your input....my response was losely based around some sarcasm that they would shelter in place with their own in home care, not rely on first responders/healthcare system, and not go out into the community. But most of us realize the chances of that are pretty much zero.

The good news is that the EMS first responders for that community are the Hatzis, so they're at least keeping it in the family, so to speak. Once they get to the ED, that's another story.

The entire Bottle King chain is now entirely delivery ($50 or more) or curbside pickup where you place your order on line and they send you an e-mail letting you know it's ready for pick up.

1214 cases in Lakewood.

Are you counting those infected in their Brooklyn communities when they make the return trip up Route 9... No , their respect of others outside their clan does not, never has and never will exist...if you are a non Hasidic you don’t exist ... as part Ashkenazi I say that while I always try to wrap my head around it. They adhere to no laws unless it is based in their beliefs.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Are you counting those infected in their Brooklyn communities when they make the return trip up Route 9... No , their respect of others outside their clan does not, never has and never will exist...if you are a non Hasidic you don’t exist ... as part Ashkenazi I say that while I always try to wrap my head around it. They adhere to no laws unless it is based in their beliefs.
You exist but just to serve them.
That's what they study & teach all day.

My wife has a wonderful relationship with a number of Orthodox families. The kids adore her.

She has worked with them for years and since they know her they do not feel as cautious around her as they do people they do not know. They do face a lot of nasty comments and cold treatment. People group them together as if they are all the same. In fact most people are not aware the vast majority of Jews in Lakewood are not Hasidic but Orthodox and there is a difference.

How we pre-judge them they also pre-judge us

My wife has a wonderful relationship with a number of Orthodox families. The kids adore her.

She has worked with them for years and since they know her they do not feel as cautious around her as they do people they do not know. They do face a lot of nasty comments and cold treatment. People group them together as if they are all the same. In fact most people are not aware the vast majority of Jews in Lakewood are not Hasidic but Orthodox and there is a difference.

The one’s that have been the problem are I believe to be Hasidic not Orthodox... I had a number of former classmates who kept a Kosher home and adhered to the Jewish laws... they were different from the people that have been reported to be an issue in Lakewood.

There is very little chance that people outside the Lakewood Orthodox community will encounter community spread via contact with members of the Lakewood Orthodox community. Realistically, the only point of contact is the hospital system. While the activities of the Orthodox community in Lakewood represent some threat to the external community, that threat is pretty well contained due to the insular nature of the Orthodox population.
Don’t they buy gas and go to supermarkets?

The one’s that have been the problem are I believe to be Hasidic not Orthodox... I had a number of former classmates who kept a Kosher home and adhered to the Jewish laws... they were different from the people that have been reported to be an issue in Lakewood.

In Lakewood the Hasidic are a small percentage of the population

The majority of people are Orthodox

Exactly. It's not their fault at all. Everyone else is wrong. They are the real victims here.

Exactly. It's not their fault at all. Everyone else is wrong. They are the real victims here.

Who said that

I have been very critical of the behavior in Lakewood and I have heard my wife discussing it with a few of her Orthodox clients and how wrong it was.

They agreed with her and in fact in early March an Orthodox woman called my wife and told her to stop coming to town because of the virus.

We're not pre-judging them.

The community, as a whole, participates in a massive welfare fraud. Tax evasion is rampant. Their demands on the local school district re: courtesy busing costs actual taxpayers $10MM per year.

They can be safely judged on their body of work.

We're not pre-judging them.

The community, as a whole, participates in a massive welfare fraud. Tax evasion is rampant. Their demands on the local school district re: courtesy busing costs actual taxpayers $10MM per year.

They can be safely judged on their body of work.
Yes people in that community have done all of those things. There are about 75,000 Jewish people in Lakewood the vast majority of them have not done any of those things

Courtesy busing as you are aware is provided to every religious school in the State. While I agree it is a problem in Lakewood because of the demographics it is not unique to that community

Tax evasion is not unique to that community either. I can tell you some stories about the Albanians, Italians, Russians, Koreans, Greeks and basically any other group that run businesses

Last edited:
A lot of decisions made by the Governor in this State that defy logic. Governor Murphy was just on Tucker Carlson, who grilled him hard:
Why are liquor stores still open, but houses of worship and state forests are not? He did not have a really good answer. Seems like he convened more "experts" on alcohol and addiction on the liquor store decision than he did on closing the state parks and forests. That said, it is tough to lead during these times. If EVERYBODY would behave reasonably, maybe such draconian restrictions would not be necessary. We know that is not possible.

who cares the reason ? If he decided liquor stores stay open, he is doing a good job

I can see closing down the cafe portions of book stores, but don’t know why the store portion had to be shut down.

Yes people in that community have done all of those things. There are about 75,000 Jewish people in Lakewood the vast majority of them have not done any of those things

Courtesy busing as you are aware is provided to every religious school in the State. While I agree it is a problem in Lakewood because of the demographics it is not unique to that community

Tax evasion is not unique to that community either. I can tell you some stories about the Albanians, Italians, Russians, Koreans, Greeks and basically any other group that run businesses
I can't speak for the rules/laws of NJ as I am only familiar with NYC.

To that, I do not inspect a private dwelling (a house) when doing building inspection. Just multiple dwellings (an apartment building/complex), business (all sizes/kinds), public assembly (religious institutions, movie theaters, arenas, etc.) and education facilities (any kind of school- public/private, elementary, HS, college, trade, etc.).

The only time I inspect a private dwelling is when it somehow falls into one of those categories. Only way legally that can happen if it's been registered with the City and State as a religious institution or an education facility.

In almost 25yrs of doing this I have yet to inspect the Albanian, Italian, Russian, Korean or Greek school or religious institution based out of someone's own house. I guess they exist in NYC, just haven't come across one.

For some, religion is a necessity, and so is exercise, which is often done in state parks/forests--hiking, trail running, mountain bike riding, all of which are often and easily practiced at social distancing. For some, religion provide mental well-being. Exercise promotes physical and mental well-being, and this has been scientifically proven.

What kind of message are you sending? Turn to drugs and alcohol?

Bringing it full circle. A day or two after the Gov. closed state parks and forests, a bicycle rider was killed by a drunk driver in Ocean County. Wonder if that bike rider had the option to ride in a State park or forest if he would have chose that option.

I understand that food and medical supplies and alcohol are necessary for many or most people, but religion? That is a habit that some people seem to enjoy, and they should enjoy it when they can, but this a national crisis. It seems they can take a break and simply wait until it is safe again.

Reactions: Kbee3
I understand that food and medical supplies and alcohol are necessary for many or most people, but religion? That is a habit that some people seem to enjoy, and they should enjoy it when they can, but this a national crisis. It seems they can take a break and simply wait until it is safe again.
There is no reason anybody has to stop this.

It's just the public assembly and getting together in a group thing we need to keep an eye on.

You can still "practice" your religion in the safety of your own residence. Now if someone tried to put the kibosh on THAT, well then we got a problem.

Dude...

When there's 75,000 people in the community and several hundred get charged with the same crime as a result of a single investigation, there's no way the practice isn't utterly endemic.

No town spends anywhere near $10MM a year on out-of-district courtesy busing. No other town spends even a tenth of that. The structure is absurd and it needs to be dismantled.

As for tax evasion in other communities... we'll talk about that when we talk about other communities.

Lakewood, New Jersey is one big, giant scam.

There is no reason anybody has to stop this.

It's just the public assembly and getting together in a group thing we need to keep an eye on.

You can still "practice" your religion in the safety of your own residence. Now if someone tried to put the kibosh on THAT, well then we got a problem.
My wife's church is doing Zoom or whatever the hell it's called services. Can you tell I'm a heathen?:)

In Lakewood the Hasidic are a small percentage of the population

The majority of people are Orthodox
I ‘m not disputing the fact that many are Orthodox but there are many Hasidic in Lakewood as well...the groups coming from Brooklyn are for the most part defiant younger under age 45 who flaunt the fact that they live by different laws and there beliefs are the only thing that matters... even Reformed , Conservative and Orthodox Jews are considered outcasts by them ... they are taking over all of Lakewood and soon the other nearby towns...Deal and Elberon Is being bought by Brooklyn’s finest...here is the best part ...we all pay for their schools, bus services etc....So please don’t try to convince people that they are nice... many are con artists , connivers and manipulators.

ADVERTISEMENT