ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If you were named NCAA President - key initiatives?

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
NCAA is looking for a new President.
Make your pitch for what your key initiatives would be?

The easy ones I'm sure people will say is "NIL" and "Transfer Portal" but not sure how much that really accomplishes.
But does that really solve any of the financial or structural issues in college athletics?

My easy ones:
  • 1 Year Transfer sit-out period - no exceptions (see below).
    • No bogus "hardship waiver" process that has no actual standards and took forever to make decisions
    • Only exception is if you graduate from the school - then you can transfer without a sit out.
  • No automatic qualifiers for College Football Playoffs
    • If you want automatic qualifiers they must be within the Top 10 of CFP rankings
    • No highest ranked G5 or ACC champ making the playoffs while being ranked #20
  • NCAA Basketball Tournament "First Round" is the 8 lowest ranked teams.
    • No more Rutgers is ranked 43rd but has to play in the first round nonsense.
    • Don't care about losing tv money - current process is against common ethics of sports

The easy ones I'm sure people will say is "NIL" and "Transfer Portal" but not sure how much that really accomplishes.
But does that really solve any of the financial or structural issues in college athletics?

My easy ones:
    • No bogus "hardship waiver" process that has no actual standards and took forever to make decisions
    • Only exception is if you graduate from the school - then you can transfer without a sit out.
    • If you want automatic qualifiers they must be within the Top 10 of CFP rankings
    • Don't care about losing tv money - current process is against common ethics of sports

Also no sit-out if the coach leaves for any school except the one the coach goes to.

My easy ones:
As the new NCAA President, my top initiative would be:

Disband the NCAA

Hmmm... this would take a lot more thought than I can put in right now... but the broad strokes would be to rally all the "have-nots" to rally the politicians in DC to support an effort to rein things back in to make the parity of college teams within the P5 and D1 better. Like the 85 schollie limit did. Have the IRS watch all these NIL deals closely.

I'd also immediately stop trans women from competing with actual women OR at least put in rules to penalize them in individual competitions. That is, If that Penn trans swimmer's next time is X.. and the best womens time is X-Y.. then the Penn trans swimmer must wait Y before THEY start. Same for runners and other events. For team sports.. I dunno. That would take more thought.

Reactions: beaced
Stop pandering to the Blue Blood programs while sh#ting on the other 130 FBS programs.
SEC= Secret Extortion Conference

My easy ones:
1) Lower the scholarship limit.

2) Eliminate paycheck games in football. Nobody needs to watch Alabama beat Directional Drillbit Tech 77-0. OOC games should be against other power conferences.

3) Centralize scheduling. Take it away from the schools.

4) Institute NFL style tiebreakers to determine CFP participants. No more polls, ESPN spin, or committees meeting in hotels.

2) Eliminate paycheck games in football. Nobody needs to watch Alabama beat Directional Drillbit Tech 77-0. OOC games should be against other power conferences.

4) Institute NFL style tiebreakers to determine CFP participants. No more polls, ESPN spin, or committees meeting in hotels.
I'd add every 5 years.. the schedule ignores conferences in favor of a season-long double-elimination tournament. Try to balance home/away... add a double-losers bracket so they can play the full season too even though making the final 16 (which would be the playoffs) is no longer possible.

Can you imagine a schedule that has us play teams from all P5s (including some Big ten) and a few others in D1 land? Can you imagine Alabama being forced to play at Michigan or Ohio State or even Minnesota in November because that is what the balanced schedule called for?

This way, every 5 years you get some feeling for the conference power of all its teams compared to other conferences.

Would never happen of course.. without some serious political HAND being awarded to the NCAA.

And for the expanded CFP in normal years.. no 6 teams.. no 12 teams.. NO BYES. Settle on factors of 4... 8 or 16 and allow all P5s to be represented by their champions and then take the next best.. and with 8.. no more than 2 per conference and with 16, 3 is the absolute max for a conference.

They will never lower the scholarship limit.

They will never lower the scholarship limit.
Remember when D1 offered 105 scholarships, you had few schools. Increasing the scholarship back to 105 would reduce the number of FBS schools. It's expensive, and plenty of schools can't support that financial commitment. Many players at FIU or Troy or Liberty would run back to Florida State or Nebraska or UVa. to be that 86th through 105th player. The number of D1 schools would drop from 130 down to 100 in a NY minute. Now you could start the debate of expanding playoffs and the quality of the team available.

Hmmm... this would take a lot more thought than I can put in right now... but the broad strokes would be to rally all the "have-nots" to rally the politicians in DC to support an effort to rein things back in to make the parity of college teams within the P5 and D1 better. Like the 85 schollie limit did. Have the IRS watch all these NIL deals closely.

I'd also immediately stop trans women from competing with actual women OR at least put in rules to penalize them in individual competitions. That is, If that Penn trans swimmer's next time is X.. and the best womens time is X-Y.. then the Penn trans swimmer must wait Y before THEY start. Same for runners and other events. For team sports.. I dunno. That would take more thought.
All female players should be checked to determine male hormone levels.A standard should be determined and held to.Ladies should be competing against ladies.

My easy ones:

Work with the NFL to keep cheating coaches from leaving to the pros ala Pete Carroll.

The play in game should only be P5 schools, If you win your conference tournament you play on Thurs or Fri.

Finishing pulling the plug on the BIGXII

Keep the football playoffs to 4 and make the 4 teams the conference championship game winners.

Some interesting ideas above.

Four that I would add are:

1. vigorous enforcement of NCAA rules so that the UNC's, PSU's, and Miami's of the world get punishments that match their violations. That would include post-season bans and TV bans, ESPN and conference TV contracts be damned.

2. Limit all coaching contracts to a 2 year limit, with the possibility of rolling them over each year when coaches meet expectations. That regulation would prevent such large sums of money from being wasted on long-term contract buyouts rather than on fulfilling the educational mission of the universities involved.

3. Universities should not have to "guarantee" a certain number of tickets sold to bowl games in order to be invited. No university should lose money because it was invited to a bowl game, meaning that bowl payouts should be sufficient to cover all costs for the schools involved. If a bowl cannot do that, it should no longer be sanctioned. Several years ago, the NCAA did have a regulation requiring a host city to "sell" 40% of the capacity of the stadium itself in order to be able to continue to operate the bowl. If there isn't enough interest locally in supporting the bowl, then it should no longer be sanctioned.

4. The playoffs for FBS football should expand to 16 teams to expand interest in what has been a rather boring system thus far. When November rolls around each fall, a 16 team playoff will keep more universities in the running almost to the end of the season. The current 4 team playoff offers little suspense about whether Bama plays Oklahoma plays Ohio State plays Clemson. It seems like the same ol', same ol' each year. The NCAA basketball tournament structure offers a great model and allows for the St. Peter's or the Chicago Loyolas of the world to enjoy a moment in the sun. The football playoff doesn't do that.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
ADVERTISEMENT