ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In-ground pool repair/removal

Scarlet Jerry

All Conference
Jul 30, 2001
I’m trying to get this in before the season begins. My folks live in Bergen County and they are looking to have an in ground pool removed or repaired (the concrete floor is uneven and probably needs to be replaced). Does anyone have any recommendations for contractors who do this work? Any estimates on cost? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Scarlet Jerry

I’m assuming it is a gunite finish…
If it’s cracking- that will be super expensive.
we had a 22000 gallon gunite that was just getting a little rough- no cracks- and to just refinish it- was going to be between 12-15k
Bergen county.
Best bet- call some of the big names and get quotes.

Most of the bigger pool service companies will assess and possibly do the work needed, or know who does it. If its northern Bergen cty, we used B&B just across the border in Rockland. They did an acid wash on our when it got a stain.

Most of the bigger pool service companies will assess and possibly do the work needed, or know who does it. If its northern Bergen cty, we used B&B just across the border in Rockland. They did an acid wash on our when it got a stain.
We had used Sylvan Pools to build ours but don't recommend them to anyone- they tried to get away with shortcuts until the inspector caught them. So stay away from them. Crystal Clear took care of our pool but not sure if they do big repairs like this.
If you do look to fix- do not use a mom and pop...But for cracks- it may be very expensive

We had used Sylvan Pools to build ours but don't recommend them to anyone- they tried to get away with shortcuts until the inspector caught them. So stay away from them. Crystal Clear took care of our pool but not sure if they do big repairs like this.
If you do look to fix- do not use a mom and pop...But for cracks- it may be very expensive
Agreed, Sylvan is not reliable. We had a bad experience with them as well. Low-lifes like Anderson replacement window salesman who wanted $1,200 - $1.500 per window but I'd get $125 off per if I signed up immediately. I laughed the guy out of the house.

Thanks for this info, everyone. It was very valuable. We spoke to a guy who has a pool store in Westwood, and he said that the issue in the pool floor was caused by animals burrowing below the pool. They apparently hibernate there during the winter, and part of their underground tunnel system collapsed. At least it’s not a sinkhole or something worse. It sounds like it will cost around 20K to remove the pool and fill the area, which is a lot cheaper than the replacement of the pool (around 60K plus the ongoing maintenance). I just thought that I would share this info in case someone else has the same problem. The lesson is that it’s a lot easier and cheaper to go with an above ground pool.

Scarlet Jerry

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Thanks for this info, everyone. It was very valuable. We spoke to a guy who has a pool store in Westwood, and he said that the issue in the pool floor was caused by animals burrowing below the pool. They apparently hibernate there during the winter, and part of their underground tunnel system collapsed. At least it’s not a sinkhole or something worse. It sounds like it will cost around 20K to remove the pool and fill the area, which is a lot cheaper than the replacement of the pool (around 60K plus the ongoing maintenance). I just thought that I would share this info in case someone else has the same problem. The lesson is that it’s a lot easier and cheaper to go with an above ground pool.

Scarlet Jerry
It will always be cheaper to go with an above ground. Just like a Honda will be less expensive that BMW.

I am glad you got realistic costs. Sounds about right.

As for Bergen county and worrying about above cost vs inground. As stated - Honda vs BMW- above will keep you cool in the summer and you will have fun. Inground- yep- will do that plus many more things. And if you are in an upper tier Bergen Co area- the old tales of a inground being less desirable- not true- it completely helps resale. And in most cases- 40+ years is the normal- as for yearly costs- now that you can convert to salt for less than $2k - you will not be dropping so much on chems. Cleaning- yeah- 1k for the open/close, but in most cases a person can clean on their own for about 1 1/2 hours per week. But even if you drop 100 every couple of weeks during a short summer- it really isnt that bad.

Sucks for the animals- that is crazy but filling it in sounds like the right move

Reactions: Scarlet Jerry
Probably too late to be of any help, but... would dynamite be out of the question?

My son has an above ground pool with a salt water system that generates chlorine, as I guess they all do. A couple hundred lbs of salt when he opens it, and the chlorine level stays consistent all summer. Crystal-clear water, going with salt is amazing.

When I moved into my house just over 20 years ago I got an estimate to remove a 44,000 gallon concrete pool. Even back then, it was somewhere in the mid-20s, and I think it would be about $40,000 now. It’s not easy, a limited amount of concrete can remain as fill, but it has to be broken to certain size pieces. I gave up and just kept it. I once visited a house where someone built a frame inside and used decking material to make a patio out of the space.

• Wow
Reactions: Postman_1
When I moved into my house just over 20 years ago I got an estimate to remove a 44,000 gallon concrete pool. Even back then, it was somewhere in the mid-20s, and I think it would be about $40,000 now. It’s not easy, a limited amount of concrete can remain as fill, but it has to be broken to certain size pieces. I gave up and just kept it. I once visited a house where someone built a frame inside and used decking material to make a patio out of the space.
Damn, that was a big ass pool!

My son has an above ground pool with a salt water system that generates chlorine, as I guess they all do. A couple hundred lbs of salt when he opens it, and the chlorine level stays consistent all summer. Crystal-clear water, going with salt is amazing.
I had a normal inground and was thinking of salt water- I thought the major point was no longer the need for chlorine- I may be wrong but..that was the big selling point.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I had a normal inground and was thinking of salt water- I thought the major point was no longer the need for chlorine- I may be wrong but..that was the big selling point.
It just breaks the salt into chlorine. It doesn’t have the irritants that store bought chlorine so it’s still better for the skin and for your clothes. It’s still not good to drink though.

Scarlet Jerry

Join the town pool...

Not one ounce of chlorine ever added. Along the house where he ran the system is a digital meter that shows the level 24/7, amazing. Walmart had the bags of salt, dirt cheap.

Not one ounce of chlorine ever added. Along the house where he ran the system is a digital meter that shows the level 24/7, amazing. Walmart had the bags of salt, dirt cheap.
We were considering changing our pool over to Salt but then we decided to sell anyway so let that cost go to the new owner.

We were considering changing our pool over to Salt but then we decided to sell anyway so let that cost go to the new owner.
My son{the engineer,lol} did the whole thing himself. Since it was an above ground pool, the walls had to be made of a composite so the salt wouldn't rust the $hit out of it.

I’m trying to get this in before the season begins. My folks live in Bergen County and they are looking to have an in ground pool removed or repaired (the concrete floor is uneven and probably needs to be replaced). Does anyone have any recommendations for contractors who do this work? Any estimates on cost? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Scarlet Jerry

Pull the drain plugs, Jackhammer the coping and deck away. Fill with dirt.

My son{the engineer,lol} did the whole thing himself. Since it was an above ground pool, the walls had to be made of a composite so the salt wouldn't rust the $hit out of it.
I haven’t seen an above ground pool in Franklin lakes in 20 years. My neighbor in Mahwah put one in a few years ago that crushed our home sale a couple of times…literally, after a great showing, people would walk down the driveway and say “is that an above ground pool? And what is up with the purple garage doors” lol

Anyway- I grew up with AG pools. Just funny how unaccepted they are some places.

• Haha
When I was in the industry, over 10 years ago, Inca Pools was about the best around workmanship wise. Which isn't saying much because they all stink. Google Inca and see what they say, if they still exist. If it's the floor that isn't good because the floor is not causing the problem it is what is happening under the floor that is doing it. Have to say fill it up and place sod. Save the repair money for retirement . Please do not let someone come in and tell you you can just pour a 2" slab over the bottom because in no time you will be looking at the same problem .

When I was in the industry, over 10 years ago, Inca Pools was about the best around workmanship wise. Which isn't saying much because they all stink. Google Inca and see what they say, if they still exist. If it's the floor that isn't good because the floor is not causing the problem it is what is happening under the floor that is doing it. Have to say fill it up and place sod. Save the repair money for retirement . Please do not let someone come in and tell you you can just pour a 2" slab over the bottom because in no time you will be looking at the same problem .
Ours was built by Sylvan Pools. Up here in NNJ, they are very popular- but I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
They put in the pool and whatever it is that they use to protect the electrical...Inspector came in and found that they did not extend the protection enough and ripped their company a new one. Made them take up everything and redo it- no cost to us, of course. But one time I was so happy to have a really good town inspector.

Who's gonna know?

OR... Just fille the existing pool with dirt. Call it a giant planter. Fill with mulch, trees, shrubs and flowers. Be sure to pull the drain plus first so it doesn't try to float away.
I never thought you were one of the irrational posters on this board – – I guess I was wrong. You’re not only gonna wind up paying more when it has to be excavated and then broken up by the buyer, but you are going to be hit with exemplary damages and a penalty as well —

I never thought you were one of the irrational posters on this board – – I guess I was wrong. You’re not only gonna wind up paying more when it has to be excavated and then broken up by the buyer, but you are going to be hit with exemplary damages and a penalty as well —
Also, a pool will float when it is empty, and there is hydrostatic pressure underneath, not when it is full of fill, and water that can not drain out – – and no, a drain plug is not even close to resolving that issue, it is there so that water can drain into the pool when the pool is empty before it floats. You have to remove everything — you’ll wind up with a little swamp otherwise. I may not have gone to the engineering school, but I have a lot more sense than that.

Also, a pool will float when it is empty, and there is hydrostatic pressure underneath, not when it is full of fill, and water that can not drain out – – and no, a drain plug is not even close to resolving that issue, it is there so that water can drain into the pool when the pool is empty before it floats. You have to remove everything — you’ll wind up with a little swamp otherwise. I may not have gone to the engineering school, but I have a lot more sense than that.

That's what the drain plugs on the bottom are for. Relieve the hydrostatic pressure. I had you covered in my first post on that.

LOL.

Salt water is the best thing you could ever do I went to it 3 years ago I have 30,000 gallon in ground pool hardly have to use any chemicals and the difference in the water is night and day

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT