ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In the market for a compact SUV, any advice?

After more research and a visit to the Honda dealer to look at the HRV I’m leaning towards the Kona. This will be my second car, so just need it for quick trips when the family ride is in use. Honda dealer said his best deal wouldn’t be cheaper than Hyundai’s best. Size wise, we have a full size SUV so hauling big stuff isn’t an issue. Leasing so not too worried about long term reliability or my kids not being able to fit when they’re teenagers. HRV is great, but if I can save a few hundred a year on the price I’m going Kona.
If you want to save $$, why buy or lease new, especially for a 2nd car with minimal expected mileage? Cars are a huge unnecessary expense for the most part, unless you simply love cars (they're transport to me, mostly).

Yeah they're not bad. Just had to throw the cheap joke out there.
It was a real thing...Subaru did advertise to lesbians in 1986...there’s a great story about it. I know it’s become a punchline but it’s a thing!

I’m on my second crosstrek...when I got my first one, a colleague at West Point just said: what are you a lesbian now? Where is your cayak!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RUScrew85
What trim level and engine did you get?
Base model, bro. I could have gotten a loaded up 2020 for cheaper than the base 2021 but it was the one color i'm opposed to. Besides, the Mrs has a thing about too much tech in cars so base is preferred.

Still it's a great little car so far. Exactly what I was looking for at the right price.

If you want to save $$, why buy or lease new, especially for a 2nd car with minimal expected mileage? Cars are a huge unnecessary expense for the most part, unless you simply love cars (they're transport to me, mostly).
I looked into used, and the deal I got leasing new came out cheaper. Yes, i would have owned it after 5 years and it would have been "more car" for the money, but neither felt necessary at this point. Also to beat the price i got on the new Hyundai, I'd be getting something with 40k miles... which made me think when reliability and not having to think about the car other than gassing it up counts for a lot.

Cars are just transport to me as well. Only car i have special feelings for are old jeeps, but that's a hobby for when i retire haha.

Julian's?

Langrock's on Nassau St in Princeton.

My Dad had an account there from when his Uncle was on the BOT and wanted him to follow on to P-ton, Yale Law and Milbank.

To this day I don't own a pair of blue jeans and ALL my dress/tie shirts are White, 100 % Cotton, Button Down, Oxford cloth with my monogram on the pocket. Made to measure at Saks (I still get a ex-employee discount.)

Last edited:
Langrock's on Nassau St in Princeton.

My Dad had an account there from when his Uncle was on the BOT and wanted him to follow on to P-ton, Yale Law and Milbank.

To this day I don't own a pair of blue jeans and ALL my dress/tie shirts are White, 100 % Cotton, Button Down, Oxford cloth with my monogram on the pocket. Made to measure at Saks (I still get a ex-employee discount.)
I only own one pair of blue-jeans. Most of the rest of the time, I wear gym shorts or sweat-pants. And occasionally, cargo shorts.

I prefer wearing nice soft plastics to cotton. My woobie sweatshirts are amazingly comfortable. I even have woobie blankets for my bed. Woobie = fleece.

What's a "saks"? Sounds like what people in Boston want when they're horny.

A clotheshorse I am not. LOL

I only own one pair of blue-jeans. Most of the rest of the time, I wear gym shorts or sweat-pants. And occasionally, cargo shorts.

I prefer wearing nice soft plastics to cotton. My woobie sweatshirts are amazingly comfortable. I even have woobie blankets for my bed. Woobie = fleece.

What's a "saks"? Sounds like what people in Boston want when they're horny.

A clotheshorse I am not. LOL

Sak's Fifth Avenue.

Yep- right in line with the OP price

BTW- I just dont find any Tesla besides the S all that attractive
Actually, it makes MORE sense to buy electric now. The internal combustion engine is dead. Gone. How long does the OP plan on owning the vehicle? The average length of car ownership is a little over 8 years.
What's the resale/trade-in value of an ICE car going to be in 8 years? You're going to have to pay someone to take it off your hands.

Okay, yeah - that's more than I figured it would be for a Macan base.

I hear what you're saying vis-a-vis the Porsche (and other sportscar-maker) SUVs. I had been poo-pooing the Porsche and Lambo SUVs, too. Right up until I got to drive a bunch of different Cayennes at a Porsche track day, and Macan S as a loaner. I had told my dealer that I was shopping for SUVs but wasn't really considering Porsche SUVs; that I was looking for larger ones. That bastard knew getting me in some would give me pause for thought. And it did - I liked both quite a lot, driving and comfort-wise.

But I'm still leaning towards the Telluride right now. Not making a decision until next Spring or summer, most likely.

The cost savings of getting a Telluride (as opposed to a Macan S or GTS or a Merc GL450) would also help me w/my current plan to add a GT3RS to my garage. As one of the purest forms of naturally aspirated 9000rpm engine brilliance, I want one before we can no longer buy gasoline powered cars.
re: Telluride. We might be in the market next year as well. If you or @yesrutgers01 go this route, please post. I’d love to hear your experiences/opinions. Thx.

Actually, it makes MORE sense to buy electric now. The internal combustion engine is dead. Gone. How long does the OP plan on owning the vehicle? The average length of car ownership is a little over 8 years.
What's the resale/trade-in value of an ICE car going to be in 8 years? You're going to have to pay someone to take it off your hands.
tesla-tard.

tell you what, having moved on from the SUV to a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab, I'll never go back. You get more room, can store or load stuff up in ways an SUV cannot, the ride is beyond outstanding in fact it's like driving a caddy ($hit you not). Look at the 1500

ok we get it, you dig the Tesla but your horizon is beyond wrong. lol

The median age of registered cars in US is now over 10 years old. EV battery won't last that long for the average American car user to utilize.

The median age of registered cars in US is now over 10 years old. EV battery won't last that long for the average American car user to utilize.
true and with consumer behavior, people tend to keep their cars when times are not great and that does not discout a period of very low borrowing rates

Nope. Since data is solid now on Model S's made since 2012, even the older 1865 batteries don't typically approach 10% range loss until 200,000 miles. I have a Model 3 with newer 2170 batteries with a better chemistry that are already showing a trend toward 300,000 to 500,000 miles without significant lost range.

How are you able to post from 10 years ago? My parents always told me when you're ignorant about a topic, it's best to refrain from commenting.

Last edited:
ok we get it, you dig the Tesla but your horizon is beyond wrong. lol
Perhaps. I'm being conservative. Maybe 5 years.

I think you're underestimating disruptive technology. We went from horses to cars in 10 years. Uber and Lyft vs traditional taxi. Look at the impact Apple and Google had on the smartphone business despite never producing phones. Ford, GM, and other legacy automakers will become the Nokia and Motorola of the 2020s.

Renewable energy and battery storage
Electric transportation
Autonomous vehicles and AI
Transportation as a service rather than vehicle ownership

This is the future and it's happening faster than most realize.

Last edited:
tell you what, having moved on from the SUV to a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab, I'll never go back. You get more room, can store or load stuff up in ways an SUV cannot, the ride is beyond outstanding in fact it's like driving a caddy ($hit you not). Look at the 1500
We are most likely going for a Ram1500 quad for me and a Mini for the Mrs. both on a lease. For now, turned in her Range Rover lease and sticking with a single car while we don’t really need two at the moment

We are most likely going for a Ram1500 quad for me and a Mini for the Mrs. both on a lease. For now, turned in her Range Rover lease and sticking with a single car while we don’t really need two at the moment
you will not be disappointed. Does not drive like a truck and with kids sports, I can't believe I didn't go this route sooner. Tons of room etc....

Had a toyota RAV4 which I kept on the road for 300,000+ miles. It was a great vehicle, part sports car(mine was a stick shift), part utility hauler. It was a great vehicle and ran great even when I turned it in. The only reason I got rid of it was I got sick of driving it. I had it 12 years and was just tired of it and needed a change.

you will not be disappointed. Does not drive like a truck and with kids sports, I can't believe I didn't go this route sooner. Tons of room etc....
What do you do when it rains? Is there a cover for the bed?

No longer have the kids going to sports but back then I had gone with a Sequoia so I did get used to the extra space. Been driving a Porsche then a BMW Conv since then but wife went with the big SUV’s. Want the space again for our 2 big dogs and some home depot tips trips. But don’t want to give up comfort either and the big trucks really do ride nice and you can get all the luxury needed in them.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Nope. Since data is solid now on Model S's made since 2012, even the older 1865 batteries don't typically approach 10% range loss until 200,000 miles. I have a Model 3 with newer 2170 batteries with a better chemistry that are already showing a trend toward 300,000 to 500,000 miles without significant lost range.
I would imagine, in a few years, the life span of batteries will not be a problem and the cost of replacing them far less than it is now .

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I would imagine, in a few years, the life span of batteries will not be a problem and the cost of replacing them far less than it is now .
EV battery lifespan is no longer an issue. That's one of the reasons EVs hold their value vastly better than ICE vehicles. After a million miles, everything else in the car may be worthless, but the batteries are still very valuable. Tesla will be recycling 100% of the materials within their batteries.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
If you are leasing just get what is most comfortable to you and don't keep it. New cars with direct injection (which is most of them) have major long term problems.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT