ADVERTISEMENT

OT: In the market for a compact SUV, any advice?

JMORC2003

All Conference
Dec 22, 2008
Dreading the fact that I have to do the new car thing again, but the time has come that I need something new as a second car. Looking at a few compact SUVs just for local driving, kids to baseball, home depot runs, back and forth to the train station when we're back in the office, that sort of thing. Narrowed down to 3, Hyundai Kona, Honda HRV, Nissan Kicks. Any experience or advice? If you have one, what are you paying? I'm looking to lease vs. finance.

Buick Encore or Chevrolet Traxx. If looking for something a little larger, Chevrolet Equinox is very popular. #iworkforgm

Reactions: DirtyRU
I've been in the market for the same thing. But I'm hoping to get it as a hybrid or plug-in hybrid.

Understand that we don't get all makes and models down here in NZ, so I'm a bit limited.

But the two I'm looking at are the Toyota Yaris Cross that gets 72 mpg (hybrid), and the Subaru XV. The hybrid version of the Subaru doesn't get much better mileage than the non-hybrid, so that might be a factor. I like Subarus and Toyotas in general. Haven't driven the Toyota yet as it won't be in NZ until January. But hoping it's really good.

Just putting it out there...car thread on TKR so this moronic post is a necessity...Honda Accord.

Reactions: m1ipabrams
I would consider the Mazda cx30 turbo.

mazda’s seem pretty hot right now. I am considering cx 5 vs a Subaru Forester Anyone here have any experiences with these ?

I also don’t don’t know about turbo engines if you want to keep long term.

Honda CRV has not failed me. I'm sure some vehicles have more advanced features and possibly a better look, but the reliability and safety of Honda has treated our family very well. The CRV has ample interior space, comfortable to drive and has enough power to serve my needs. I added a hitch and use it to tow 2,000 lb trailer loads from time to time.

Reactions: thegock
Hyundai Kona, Honda HRV, Nissan Kicks.

9 responses and only 1 responded to the OP's final 3 and that took 8 posts before we got to it. It is why I love this board. lol

I can't help the OP either but wouldn't have posted anything until I read these responses to his very direct question about his final 3. lol

I will say this though...the 3 you have selected, from people I know that have them or some of the people still in the car business that I know...all three are good solid vehicles for the money. Go through each one and just compare your needs and wants and then the prices. I know you were hoping to get some real life experiences from the board, I have done that often and it has worked out...but don't see it happen too often when it comes to vehicles.

I’ve rented a bunch of small SUV’s. I like the Hyundai’s. While I’ve never driven the small Mazda suvs I’ve had a lot of success with larger Mazda Suvs I’ve bought.

I would consider the Mazda cx30 turbo.
I’ve rented a bunch of small SUV’s. I like the Hyundai’s. While I’ve never driven the small Mazda suvs I’ve had a lot of success with larger Mazda Suvs I’ve bought.

Would definitely give the Mazda a look. We bought our son a 2018 Mazda 3, and it is an outstanding car. Great finish, build and the electronics package is fantastic.

Back in the day, we called SUVs station wagons. Sans the faux wood paneling of course.

Reactions: bossnj1
Dreading the fact that I have to do the new car thing again, but the time has come that I need something new as a second car. Looking at a few compact SUVs just for local driving, kids to baseball, home depot runs, back and forth to the train station when we're back in the office, that sort of thing. Narrowed down to 3, Hyundai Kona, Honda HRV, Nissan Kicks. Any experience or advice? If you have one, what are you paying? I'm looking to lease vs. finance.
As you probably are aware there are many good online comparisons of these 3 vehicles. The Honda appears to always be the 3rd choice for various reasons although if cargo space is important to you the Honda is the winner.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Also from what I have seen the Honda HR-V 2021s are not coming out until spring. At least from what I have been able to find. Not sure about the others. So if you are looking to make a near term decision and having the most recent model is important, it’s something to consider.

I would go with the Kona or HRV (A few of the Nissan's in my consumer report have had mechanical issues - Kicks is no one of them)

My CRV is 10 years old with 150K and going strong.
Look for Sales, I think the Kona has a heck of a warranty and might give you a better price.

Good luck!!!!

9 responses and only 1 responded to the OP's final 3 and that took 8 posts before we got to it. It is why I love this board. lol

I can't help the OP either but wouldn't have posted anything until I read these responses to his very direct question about his final 3. lol

I will say this though...the 3 you have selected, from people I know that have them or some of the people still in the car business that I know...all three are good solid vehicles for the money. Go through each one and just compare your needs and wants and then the prices. I know you were hoping to get some real life experiences from the board, I have done that often and it has worked out...but don't see it happen too often when it comes to vehicles.
Maybe because we feel there might be better options. Which is why I love this board too. 😉

Reactions: LETSGORU91

lol this is true and in this thread I am guilty!

I had a Nissan Juke about 10 years ago, which was basically the predecessor to the Kicks best I can tell. It was great for local driving but rather uncomfortable for long drives, and the back seat was very tight. Most notably there was no center console, and as such no arm rest for my right arm while driving. I am not sure if that has changed but it was asinine.

Honda CRV has not failed me. I'm sure some vehicles have more advanced features and possibly a better look, but the reliability and safety of Honda has treated our family very well. The CRV has ample interior space, comfortable to drive and has enough power to serve my needs. I added a hitch and use it to tow 2,000 lb trailer loads from time to time.
I would go wit

My CRV is 10 years old with 150K and going strong.
Look for Sales, I think the Kona has a heck of a warranty and might give you a better price.

Good luck!!!!

Another vote for the Honda CRV. Although it might be a bit bigger than OP wants

The wife has had one for a couple of years and loves it.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
LOL. I don't think that is in the same budge range as the vehicles the OP listed. Why not the Model X? A friend of mine has an X, and man is it a sweet vehicle.
While the upfront costs are greater for the model Y, the cost of ownership is vastly cheaper than that of a ICE car. Electricity is cheaper and more efficient than gas, EVs have little to no maintenance or service. The price of batteries is on a declining curve, while the energy density and range is on an upward curve. Also the resale value of a Tesla is far greater than any ICE vehicle. These facts are often overlooked when people see a bigger up front cost. Not to mention, Teslas are the safest cars in the world, with the best tech, autonomy, infotainment, and oh yeah....they're F...ING so fun to drive.

Just rented a Nissan Kicks while visiting our son’s family. I was surprised and how well it drove, good pick up, lots of pep, etc. But, to call it an SUV is a stretch, more of a sub compact hatchback.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Porsche Macan. Drove a Macan S loaner when my car was in for service and it was pretty awesome. The base model Macans are relatively inexpensive as long as you don't go nuts w/options. If doing a lease, Porsche's hold their value well, so lease deals might not be too bad.

I also really, really like the Kia Telluride and what you get for the money seems amazing. Reviewers have fallen all over themselves to praise it as well. The 2021 Kia Sorrento appears to have taken some pointers from the Telluride, and is smaller. So that might be an option too.

I question the U part of the tiny SUV's. Friend of mine has an HRV and she's complained about not being able to handle Home Depot or Home Goods runs because the trunk is so small. Looks like lease deals between HRV and CRV are $50/mo difference. In my situation, the extra $50 would be well spent for the extra space.

Porsche Macan. Drove a Macan S loaner when my car was in for service and it was pretty awesome. The base model Macans are relatively inexpensive as long as you don't go nuts w/options. If doing a lease, Porsche's hold their value well, so lease deals might not be too bad.

I also really, really like the Kia Telluride and what you get for the money seems amazing. Reviewers have fallen all over themselves to praise it as well. The 2021 Kia Sorrento appears to have taken some pointers from the Telluride, and is smaller. So that might be an option too.
Laughing...no where near OP

As for the Telluride...while not in the class OP is looking for in size or price, I have heard absolutely wonderful things. My wife is just out of a Evoque Lease and was considering a Mini Countryman next but her good friend, who was always a BMW/Benz type of guy...Also top performer mortgages for over 30 years, recently purchased the Telluride and said it was one of the best decisions he ever made.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Another vote for the Honda CRV. Although it might be a bit bigger than OP wants

The wife has had one for a couple of years and loves it.
Another vote for the CRV. Just bought one for my daughters first car. We test drove almost every small SUV on the market. The CRV was hands down the winner. Tons of room, great technology, 4 cylinder turbo and rides really nice. It is a used 2018, coming off a one owner lease.

After more research and a visit to the Honda dealer to look at the HRV I’m leaning towards the Kona. This will be my second car, so just need it for quick trips when the family ride is in use. Honda dealer said his best deal wouldn’t be cheaper than Hyundai’s best. Size wise, we have a full size SUV so hauling big stuff isn’t an issue. Leasing so not too worried about long term reliability or my kids not being able to fit when they’re teenagers. HRV is great, but if I can save a few hundred a year on the price I’m going Kona.

Last edited:
Reactions: yesrutgers01
Have a Chevy equinox (170k mi) and it's been trouble free except for a recalled HVAC issue. When purchasing a new car I've avoided getting one with a Turbo. I just don't trust that these will be as reliable over the long term. Manufacturers are sticking them on small engines just to get the MPG ratings up. I just bought a Subaru Outback and from what I can tell it's an amazing value. An Equinox with the features of the premium trim (1 up from base) would cost ~$3-5$k more.

I would never recommend a Nissan. That company's reputation has been headed down for years. Plus their CVTs have more issues than the CVTs used by others, including Subaru.

Not sure if some would consider this a small SUV or not, but my brother has had a Jeep Liberty for about ten years and in the horror show that is northern Virginia-Washington area commuting traffic. Still going strong and rarely in the shop.

I question the U part of the tiny SUV's. Friend of mine has an HRV and she's complained about not being able to handle Home Depot or Home Goods runs because the trunk is so small. Looks like lease deals between HRV and CRV are $50/mo difference. In my situation, the extra $50 would be well spent for the extra space.
+1
Small/compact SUVs are pretty worthless.

Audi Q3/Q5
Suburu Outback - really a wagon but classed as an SUV. More cargo space than Forester
Honda CR-V

Have owned each (except Q3 - we had a Q5 and now have a Q7). All have been solid and reliable. I liked the driving experience best on the Audi as well as fit/finish but the Outback AWD is great too and has a lot of safety features for the $$ (our daughter is going to be driving the Outback primarily). No longer have a CR-V - our other vehicle is an F-350 for towing!

Or people trying to pretend to be snobs.
Or people that just happen to like BMW's...Is it just BMW or are you referring to all foreign high end manufacturers?
Some of the biggest so called snobs I have met in Bergen Co have actually been buying their kids and themselves Jeeps(at least for the Dad's 2nd car) And no bigger so called snobs than Tesla...But to me, I don't call anyone a snob if they like high end products, houses or cars. Being a snob is a personality, not a consumer product preference. I see complete AH's driving "only" American made or Accord level vehicles because they feel they are better than you because they don't over spend to go from point A to point B...

Or people that just happen to like BMW's...Is it just BMW or are you referring to all foreign high end manufacturers?
Some of the biggest so called snobs I have met in Bergen Co have actually been buying their kids and themselves Jeeps(at least for the Dad's 2nd car) And no bigger so called snobs than Tesla...But to me, I don't call anyone a snob if they like high end products, houses or cars. Being a snob is a personality, not a consumer product preference. I see complete AH's driving "only" American made or Accord level vehicles because they feel they are better than you because they don't over spend to go from point A to point B...
+1 on this. Those Wranglers can get to over $50k with options.

ADVERTISEMENT