ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Inexpensive Restaurant for After a Baptism

mikebal9

All American
Oct 15, 2005
Bound Brook
First, I apologize for another OT thread. But I need help, and where better to come than here?

My wife and I had our second son in July and we are looking to have him baptized at some point in the winter, probably January. Our church is in Somerville, so we'd like to find a place in the Somerville/Bridgewater/Bound Brook area.
We are looking for a BYO that is hopefully under $25 per person. I am guessing we'll have around 50-60 people. If anyone knows of a place that we can go for a nice luncheon after the service, we'd appreciate your insights. Thanks so much in advance.

My office has done byo stuff at Yutaca in Somerville. It's a hibachi place so not sure how that fits into a baptism lunch, but they were very accommodating.

Honest question. Do you need a party? If you are concerned about the cost is it worth dropping 2k on three hours? I get it if your family is super religious but outside of that why bother? I refused to throw huge first birthday parties. I didn't even have an engagement party..it's gotten out of control. My kids communions and baptism parties where at my house. People who,actually care about your family will show. Those who don't are only going to the party because they feel obligated. Just my two cents.

Especially if you're son is Petie or Paulie
Goodfellas_034Pyxurz.jpg

Reactions: Alaska_Dawg
Rent a hall like Elks, VFW, Firehouse.. bring in good catering and hire a balloon decorator. bamm.. you're done. I think I was at something at Somerville Elks in Bridgewater.. on 28 seemed nice enough. Some of those firehouse halls are nice... check em out online.

First, I apologize for another OT thread. But I need help, and where better to come than here?

My wife and I had our second son in July and we are looking to have him baptized at some point in the winter, probably January. Our church is in Somerville, so we'd like to find a place in the Somerville/Bridgewater/Bound Brook area.
We are looking for a BYO that is hopefully under $25 per person. I am guessing we'll have around 50-60 people. If anyone knows of a place that we can go for a nice luncheon after the service, we'd appreciate your insights. Thanks so much in advance.

Sunday Brunch is also available for private parties.
Party Price $23.95 per adult and $11.95 per child:

http://www.stagehousetavern.com/somerset/sunday-brunch-somerset.html

Vincenzo's in middlesex I believe. Nice place.

My brother lives in Branchburg, and after each of their three baptisms, they have hosted a group (smaller than yours, but thirty-something) at the Stoney Brook Grill in Branchburg, near Raritan Valley CC. I'm sure they could accommodate a group of the size you're talking about. It's not a BYO, my impression is that the price is fair. They keep going back there, so I guess they think it's worth it. Convenient to 22, 202, and 78, too. Food is good - not incredible, but perfectly fine for this sort of event where people aren't paying much attention to the food, anyway.

I had my son's confirmation party at Green Knoll Grille on 206 in Bridgewater about 3 years ago. They have private rooms and an outdoor bar and dining area. If I remember right they also had a outdoor play area for children. Prices were reasonable.

After my son's baptism, the church let us use their basement for a couple of hours, we catered it and brought in our own booze.

I do not recall the rental fee, it may have only been a "donation" to the church.

Somerville Elks. All new catering venue and close by. Have heard vety goods things about the changes made. Check it out. Person in charge is Jim McGrady who previously ran things at Maggiano in Bridgewater.

We did baptism and comunion parys for our kids at South side grille in South bound brook. Reasonable prices good food and great beer list. Unfortunately there was a fire there and it hasn't reopened yet. It may be open by the time you have your party, if so check there.

Also if you rent a hall you can get catering trays from Joes meat market. Everything from them is delicious but a bit pricey.

Not a BYOB, but good bang for your buck and they should be able to accommodate your large crowd. (Back in the day, Schiano was a regular there).
I've been to 2 baptism parties here and they were both pretty good!!

I am shocked,,SHOCKED you are not planning a tailgate in the Black Lot! :flushed:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT