ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Insights on attending Thanksgiving Day Parade in NYC

MorrisAsh

All Conference
Dec 5, 2015
Morristown
So I've never gone to the NYC Thanksgiving Day Parade before but I'm considering taking my 10 and 7 yr old this year. Has anyone attended it who can give me some tips on where to stand, when to get there, etc.?

I would also love insights. We got hotel rooms at the Marriott right on the parade route where we are hoping to watch from.

How about inflating the balloons the night before?

There's a Marriott on the hotel route?

Inflation occurs next to the Museum of Natural History.

So I've never gone to the NYC Thanksgiving Day Parade before but I'm considering taking my 10 and 7 yr old this year. Has anyone attended it who can give me some tips on where to stand, when to get there, etc.?

• Expect lots of crowds. There are limited places where you can cross from one side of the street to the other before the parade, but not during the parade. Once you pick a viewing location, expect to stay there for the duration of the parade.
  • If it is warm, expect even more crowds.
  • If it is cold, dress warmly. Otherwise your kids will be miserable by the time they see Santa at the end of the parade.
  • Your little kids may not be able to see. If you put them on your shoulders, expect complaints from people standing behind you. Your best bet may be to hold them on your hip, so their head is level with your head.
  • There are basically 2 common options to view the parade: Near Central Park, or Near Mid-Town
  • The advantage of watching the parade near Central Park are that it starts and ends earlier (which may be a disadvantage if you don't want to get their earlier). Also, if you are on the park-side of the street, you won't have buildings blocking your views of the parade coming down the street.
  • The advantage of watching the parade in mid-town is you are closer to the train and bus station (which is key if you have kids in tow and are taking the train or bus into NY). Also, you are more likely to have restaurants where you can grab a cup of coffee near where you are standing.
  • Try to avoid standing in cross-streets to see the parade, if you have a choice. It makes it hard to look down the street. If you are on a cross street, you are better off on the south side of the street, so you have an angle to see the parade come from the north.
  • You probably want to get there at least an hour before the parade passes your viewing location. If you really want to be near the curb, you want to get there 2-3 hours in advance.
  • With a 10 & 7 year old, make sure you have a plan, just in case you get separated from your kids. That said, don't get separated from your kids.

Reactions: iReC89 and RUDutch
I would also love insights. We got hotel rooms at the Marriott right on the parade route where we are hoping to watch from.

I took my two oldest kids a few years ago (10 and 9 at the time) to the inflation thing. Everyone was really excited until we got there. They pack everyone into tightly contained walking lines. My kids couldn't really see anything and they were freaked out by the crowds. I thought it was going to be great and instead I spent my time making sure my kids didn't trip for fear they might get walked over. Maybe others had great experiences with it but I would pass.

Last edited:
I'll that you should consider the wind too. If windy I liked being building side to block it....and not at the intersections where is can come blasting thru.

Manage the liquids and go to the bathroom just short of the arrival. Hard to find facilities in some spots.

When we went and kids were younger, we tried to find spots with elevated steps or places in the back of the crowd where kids could get up on things and see over the crowd.

Reactions: dollarbill
  • Expect lots of crowds. There are limited places where you can cross from one side of the street to the other before the parade, but not during the parade. Once you pick a viewing location, expect to stay there for the duration of the parade.
  • If it is warm, expect even more crowds.
  • If it is cold, dress warmly. Otherwise your kids will be miserable by the time they see Santa at the end of the parade.
  • Your little kids may not be able to see. If you put them on your shoulders, expect complaints from people standing behind you. Your best bet may be to hold them on your hip, so their head is level with your head.
  • There are basically 2 common options to view the parade: Near Central Park, or Near Mid-Town
  • The advantage of watching the parade near Central Park are that it starts and ends earlier (which may be a disadvantage if you don't want to get their earlier). Also, if you are on the park-side of the street, you won't have buildings blocking your views of the parade coming down the street.
  • The advantage of watching the parade in mid-town is you are closer to the train and bus station (which is key if you have kids in tow and are taking the train or bus into NY). Also, you are more likely to have restaurants where you can grab a cup of coffee near where you are standing.
  • Try to avoid standing in cross-streets to see the parade, if you have a choice. It makes it hard to look down the street. If you are on a cross street, you are better off on the south side of the street, so you have an angle to see the parade come from the north.
  • You probably want to get there at least an hour before the parade passes your viewing location. If you really want to be near the curb, you want to get there 2-3 hours in advance.
  • With a 10 & 7 year old, make sure you have a plan, just in case you get separated from your kids. That said, don't get separated from your kids.
^All of this. My daughters are now 13, 15 and 17 did the parade when they were around the same ages as yours. We took them in to see the balloons being blown up, was a real treat for them. Ex got misinformation that we could watch the performers rehearse in front of Macy's at midnight. So we just went to the top of the ESB since there was no line. Dressing warmly is the key as it will be cooler in the shade of the city. I did see more than one person bring a 6 foot aluminum ladder so their kids could see. We actually sat atop an old telephone "booth". They are used as wifi hotspots now so I don't know what luck you'll have with that. Have fun.

I went as a kid but watched from some third floor corporate office. Great view but I was bored. I remember that whenever I start to think of going again. I guess its kind of a NYC bucket list thing thats worth doing if the weather is really nice (which it usually isn't)

Reactions: rurichdog
Sounds like a completely miserable experience only to be outdone by New Years Eve in Times Square.
not sure if your comment is directed at the parade or the balloon inflation. I've never done the balloon inflation. I've done the parade about a dozen times. It is really a lot of fun.

FYI, The balloon inflation night is a nice idea, if you can hold a kid above your head. Children can get up close and personal to the balloons as they line up along the permiter of the museum. It is crowded, but it moves along orderly.

Reactions: MorrisAsh
Dress warmly. If the wind gets blowing down the streets, it can be a miserable experience. I've never personally watched a Macy's Day Parade, but I've marched in one. Have the kids wear layers so that if it does warm up, they can just unbutton or unzip.

Agree with watching up near Central Park.
It's a great parade, don't listen to those that are miserable.

Depending on where you live Philadelphia has a great parade too and a lot easier to get there, park, watch and get out of town. NYC is superior but the trade offs make Philly an viable option.

Agree with watching up near Central Park.
It's a great parade, don't listen to those that are miserable.

Depending on where you live Philadelphia has a great parade too and a lot easier to get there, park, watch and get out of town. NYC is superior but the trade offs make Philly an viable option.
always thought about going to this one...easy option from Western NJ...

I recommend the Wednesday night inflating thing. It is crowded but when we went the police had it very well organized. The crowds do lessen toward the end however I understand that they are shortening the viewing hours this year so that the program ends at 8 pm.

Went to it 7 years ago and going again on Thursday

Upstream has dead on info above

get there early and dress warm.

New Balloon this year ! :

23561476_1398737386890665_6074651487309203138_n.jpg

It's a great parade. I've offered to take people in every year recently but no takers. My wife's grandparents lived in the 90's and hosted Thanksgiving afterwards for years. If you're making the whole effort, pick a spot at least 2hrs early. It will make a big difference for the kids to be able to sit and see.

Reactions: WhiteBus
This. Typical NYC overrated BS.
Haters gotta hate. Been to NYC about 8 times. Philly over 20. Neither fail to thoroughly entertain. I' m guessing you and skoolie never went.

Last edited:
Haters gotta hate. Been to NYC about 8 times. Philly over 20. Neither fail to thoroughly entertain. I' m guessing you and skoolie never went.

You must be a joy to hang out with.

I think parades are an acquired taste is all. If you love parades, you'll certainly want to see this one if you have the chance. If you think parades are overhyped boredom or only interesting for a short look, this one is quite close to the very top of the list of ones to avoid.

Question for the OP is which category his kids will fall in after 20 minutes or so. Worth mentioning because he's "considering it." If and when he's 100 percent sure, well, no reason to piss on his parade (ha!!)

Reactions: RUaMoose
For many on here we would never think to stay home and watch the game on TV. It's an event to go, just another game on TV. This is no different. It's nothing on TV, spectacular to see live.

Last edited:
For many on here we would never think to stay home and watch the game at home on TV. It's an event to go, just another game on TV. This is no different. It's nothing on TV, spectacular to see live.

Well some people enjoy games more on TV than live. Like me.

Different strokes.

Different strokes.
A football game on tv gives you a different perspective than watching it live, since you get camera zooms, replays, and analysis.

Watching the Thanksgiving parade on TV is also a different experience than being there. Watching on TV is really more like watching a series of staged performances, not like watching a parade. You miss the pageantry and you don't get a sense of the size of the balloons.

If you don't like parades, then you don't like parades. I assume the OP likes parades because he asked for advice about going to a parade. Saying the parade is "typical NYC overrated BS" isn't a helpful response.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
The TV coverage is mostly a bunch of Broadway show numbers performed in Herald Square.
Doesn't seem much like a parade.
I'm sure it's more parade-like in person.

Cool retro balloon this year is the baseball player, who first appeared in the "Miracle on 34th St" movie (live in the background) as a black and white balloon, even though the balloon itself was actually in color of course. They are paying homage this year by floating the balloon in black and white (as it was seen in the movie).....

We took our kids years ago, had fun, but it was a cold cloudy day......

I took my 10 and seven year old about 8 years ago. It is the type of thing I think you do once, just to say you did it. Lots of crowds, bathrooms scarce, My kids were standing on a planter and had an elevated view. It was fun to do once. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks for the advice. I’m going to take them in and see the balloon inflation this evening and not have to deal with the insanity tomorrow.

My wife and her family used to go to the parade as kids, and now that we have one of our own I just know this is in my future and I'm already anxious about it. NYC crowds on a major holiday for a parade is basically my triple crown of things I try and avoid.

Of course I'll be there with a smile on my face for the kid though if she wants to go.

Ok, we got back as well. Really really long lines. Think Newark Airport security queues at the holidays. Everyone was patient in the crowd. Lots of police, good crowd control. One block of balloons on 78th street and on block of balloons on 80th street. Pretty cool thing to do once.

Ok, we got back as well. Really really long lines. Think Newark Airport security queues at the holidays. Everyone was patient in the crowd. Lots of police, good crowd control. One block of balloons on 78th street and on block of balloons on 80th street. Pretty cool thing to do once.
And hopefully with the age of your kids, a lifetime of memories.

Different strokes.
Do you also like firework shows on TV. For me they're much more exciting being there. It's an experience. Same with football games, they're simply much more exciting sitting in the stands and feeling the crowd roar. I can't imagine the 2006 Louisville game was better on TV than me being there in person. Hell even the 2012 game against them was pretty friggin exciting and got the stadium rocking. You just watched those games, while I experienced them.

ADVERTISEMENT