ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is Hootie/Darius Rucker Most Underrated 20th Century Artist?

RUMadBro

Redshirt
Mar 4, 2018
I know the title might be a reach, but I feel like Hootie and Darius Rucker in general get no love for their songs. Am I the only one still requesting some good ol' 90's Hootie on karaoke night? Or are there some other Blowfish lovers out there?

Any other 90's band not appreciated enough?

I've long thought Rucker is better than credited for. Maybe he just hasn't issued had enough new songs (aside from Wagon Wheel). Need more than a great voice or "happy birthday" song would work

I've long thought Rucker is better than credited for. Maybe he just hasn't issued had enough new songs (aside from Wagon Wheel). Need more than a great voice or "happy birthday" song would work
Wagon Wheel is a great song, but he has some classics from the 90's. "Let Her Cry" still holds strong and has aged better than a lot of tunes from that era.

Even after Hootie, he has songs that always hit right in the feels like "It Won't Be Long Like This." IMO I just feel like he doesn't get appreciated for his deep lyrics and great voice. Also heard he's touring again...RU trip to a Darius concert?

I mean, the dolphins make him cry.
Who else could make that work? Boss move! Wonder what it was like writing that song and his bandmate's reactions.

The guy I argued with about Hootie insists they are nothing more than a glorified bar band. Darius changed the music scene for a generation and in the 90's everyone was a Blowfish. He still churns out hits and people of all ages still jam out to his hits.

Anyone think Ash and Hobbs played "Hold My Hand" during their weekly meetings?

I really think Los del Rio does not get enough credit for revolutionizing music in the 90's.

2 tix have already been purchased. Barenaked Ladies touring with them to boot (one of my favorite bands to see live as previously mentioned on this board).

Reactions: RUMadBro
Is this serious?
aRen’t U nuts about Hootie too?
2 tix have already been purchased. Barenaked Ladies touring with them to boot (one of my favorite bands to see live as previously mentioned on this board).
Wow, that’s a throwback concert. So you think it’s definitely worth seeing Darius/Hootie in concert? Trying to get another RU fan on board for the concert. Might be a hard sell...

I know the title might be a reach, but I feel like Hootie and Darius Rucker in general get no love for their songs. Am I the only one still requesting some good ol' 90's Hootie on karaoke night? Or are there some other Blowfish lovers out there?

Bumped into him in Hawaii the summer before last ...very nice guy

Who else could make that work? Boss move! Wonder what it was like writing that song and his bandmate's reactions.

The guy I argued with about Hootie insists they are nothing more than a glorified bar band. Darius changed the music scene for a generation and in the 90's everyone was a Blowfish. He still churns out hits and people of all ages still jam out to his hits.

Anyone think Ash and Hobbs played "Hold My Hand" during their weekly meetings?

Changed the music scene for a generation and everyone was a blowfish .. lol.

Pretty epic troll.

Wow, that’s a throwback concert. So you think it’s definitely worth seeing Darius/Hootie in concert? Trying to get another RU fan on board for the concert. Might be a hard sell...

Haven't seen Hootie live - missed op from the 90s. However, I've seen Darius Rucker twice (once as an open when he switched over to country). The guy is fantastic - did a version of 'Purple Rain' out here in MN in tribute to Prince, and was one of the best performances I've ever heard live.

Changed the music scene for a generation and everyone was a blowfish .. lol.

Pretty epic troll.
No troll don’t know what his fans call thesmleves...Blowfish? Hooters? Any suggestions?
Haven't seen Hootie live - missed op from the 90s. However, I've seen Darius Rucker twice (once as an open when he switched over to country). The guy is fantastic - did a version of 'Purple Rain' out here in MN in tribute to Prince, and was one of the best performances I've ever heard live.
Well I’m excited to see him live. RU tailgate before concert?

No love ? They had one of the best selling albums of all time .

Wagon Wheel is a great song, but he has some classics from the 90's. "Let Her Cry" still holds strong and has aged better than a lot of tunes from that era.

Even after Hootie, he has songs that always hit right in the feels like "It Won't Be Long Like This." IMO I just feel like he doesn't get appreciated for his deep lyrics and great voice. Also heard he's touring again...RU trip to a Darius concert?

I've always loved his voice, and like others said, it's too bad he doesn't come to mind when we think of excellent pop singers.

The song you mentioned, 'Let Her Cry,' was the one that I thought of after opening this thread. I actually ran out and bought the sheet music for that (it was before the internet age!)

No love ? They had one of the best selling albums of all time .
Their music was huge back in the 90’s. I just think they don’t get enough respect or talked about like other bands. And Darius is still making songs and touring. Hootie Reunion...maybe movie coming soon?
Who plays Darius?
I've always loved his voice, and like others said, it's too bad he doesn't come to mind when we think of excellent pop singers.

The song you mentioned, 'Let Her Cry,' was the one that I thought of after opening this thread. I actually ran out and bought the sheet music for that (it was before the internet age!)
Exactly. I feel like he’s left off of the list of great vocalists or even mentioned in 90’s greats. And “Let Her Cry” is one of my all time favorite songs. I still request it at dive bars. So underrated. Grab your guitar and play it for next season’s tailgate!!

Reactions: dconifer
Their music was huge back in the 90’s. I just think they don’t get enough respect or talked about like other bands. And Darius is still making songs and touring. Hootie Reunion...maybe movie coming soon?
Who plays Darius?

Exactly. I feel like he’s left off of the list of great vocalists or even mentioned in 90’s greats. And “Let Her Cry” is one of my all time favorite songs. I still request it at dive bars. So underrated. Grab your guitar and play it for next season’s tailgate!!

Didn’t you see Jerry maguire?
Cuba gooding

Not a fan at all. My vote for most underrated band of the 90s would probably be Pavement. Not everyone's cup of tea, but if you like any indie music from the last 15-20 years, realize that most indie bands would cite Pavement as one of their biggest influences. They were slacker cool before the term was invented. This article has them as one of the most underrated bands, along with 3 others I agree with: Slowdive, the Pixies and the MC5.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/top-4-underrated-rock-bands

From the wikipedia page: "They have often been described as one of the most influential bands to emerge from the American underground in the '90s. Some prominent music critics, such as Robert Christgau and Stephen Thomas Erlewine, went so far as to call them the best band of the 1990s."

If you want to try them out, here are two of their best songs. If you like these, you'll probably like a lot more, but if you don't like them, don't go any further, lol.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Hootie & the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View is among the highest-selling albums of all time (20+ million copies sold). I thought the album was a breath of fresh air when it was released in 1994. Grunge was at its peak at the time. I hated grunge. (I have warmed up to it since.) CRV sounded nothing like grunge and I was ultra grateful. I think millions of other music lovers felt likewise, which made it the best-selling album (10.5 million copies sold) in 1995. The album certainly did not break any new ground musically, but the masses (including me) were loving the familiarity of a bunch of pop rock songs you could sing along with.

Back in 2004, I saw H&TB at the Starland Ballroom. They were on fire that night. It was among the best club shows I've ever witnessed, and I've seen hundreds. The band was in the midst of a tour, playing arenas and amphitheaters. The night at Starland was a one-off club show. Darius mentioned the large venues and commented on how impersonal they can be. He and the band were enjoying the much more intimate Starland, stating it was a great rock and roll club. They were loving the vibe, admitting the club gave them that old feeling of being a hungry band on the way up. Their performance backed up their words.

In addition to playing all their hits, they covered Led Zep, Snoop Dogg, Blackstreet, Allman Bros., Ramones and even sang a few verses of "Growin' Up" because that's what you do in Jersey. A memorable night of music, to be sure. If it weren't so memorable, I would have never remembered so much of the evening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT