ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is your mail delivery slowing down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
Not sure if other people are experiencing this but I’ve noticed an decline in mail delivery. We typically get 2-5 pieces of mail a day- every day. In the last month or so, we’d go 2-3 days without a piece of mail- followed by a full mailbox.

I mean no big deal but what is annoying is when I’m supposed to get packages, I’ve received a confirmation of delivery message. No package that day. It arrives 1-2 days later,

Anyone else notice a downturn in service?

Here in Texas there’s a delightful lack of junk mail...unlike NY where most everything was junk.

no slowdown observed...

Reactions: JRZEER
Yes but in our case it is due to a lazy mail carrier. We have curbside mailboxes, and if my neighbor's kid parks a hair too close, no mail that day. In the spring & fall she'll get out of the truck but not summer or winter.

Reactions: bac2therac
Yes but in our case it is due to a lazy mail carrier. We have curbside mailboxes, and if my neighbor's kid parks a hair too close, no mail that day. In the spring & fall she'll get out of the truck but not summer or winter.
Our carrier isn't that bad. But, we do get packages chucked onto the front steps from halfway down the driveway, which is roughly 15 feet away.

Reactions: Greg2020
USPS is a mess. They dont hire/promote the best they can get or have. They try not to hire full time, and burn through piles of applicants who will be used for a few months. Carriers here cant even read well. They throw mail in the woods. They steal mail and stamps. They don't deliver SurPost packages.

USPS warns staff of temporary mail delays as it cuts ‘soaring’ delivery costs
https://federalnewsnetwork.com/mana...ail-delays-as-it-cuts-soaring-delivery-costs/

Reactions: bac2therac
I hope so. Mail sucks.

Haven't noticed mail slowing, but have had the package thing from UPS. Says it's delivered, go outside ...nothing. Comes hours later. Haven't had it more than a few hours, tho.

I was a rural delivery carrier (RCA) in Hillsborough and we routinely got out to deliver for blocked mailboxes especially when someone was having work done. We don’t have to and it is a pain in the arse because we have to shut the vehicle off every time we leave the vehicle. Only if someone routinely parked in front of their mailbox then I would skip them. If you have a problem, call your post office. They will talk to the carrier and try to resolve the problem.

Also, no one I worked with ever left a package on the lawn. I always felt guilty leaving packages on an uncovered porch when it was raining.

I know I only worked in Hillsborough and Franklin (I got sent over for three days when they were short handed) but we busted our butts and took pride in our work.

That is nice to recognize them, but the USPS is in big financial trouble. Trump has issues with the postal service (not sure what), and that just makes matters worse.
His issue is Amazon and Jeff Bezos. Does not like the discounted rate they were given to deliver the massive number of their parcels. It's actually what's keeping the Post Office afloat. It's Trumps usual petty retaliation for not having the support of Bezos.

The inconsistent delivery is due to the new Postmaster General's, another terrible Trump appointee, trying to eliminate overtime.Mail is being curtailed to keep carriers to an 8 hour workday.

Louis DeJoy is highly qualified to run the USPS by virtue of his generous donations to the Trump campaign. He bought and paid for his job with cold hard cash.

New Postmaster General Is Top GOP Fundraiser

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/07/851976464/new-postmaster-general-is-top-gop-fundraiser

Louis DeJoy, a North Carolina businessman who has given millions of dollars to the Republican Party, including the Trump campaign, has been named the nation's new postmaster general.

DeJoy has contributed more than $1.2 million to the Trump Victory Fund, and millions more to Republican Party organizations and candidates

Coming from a retired Letter Carrier, you need to talk to your neighbor rather than complain about your "lazy" mailman. Carriers are required to give a "commitment" on delivery time every morning prior to starting delivery. It's based on the mail volume for that day. Having to stop, turn off the truck, set the parking brake, and remove the keys numerous times during the day increases the delivery time. This results in possible discipline from management. Inconsiderate blocking of mail boxes was one of my pet peeves during my employment!

Last edited:
Reactions: LC-88 and Greg2020
I am a fan of the postal service.
Why? It's mostly useless. Almost anything sent by mail can be sent electronically. I don't think we receive any invoices, bills, etc through the mail.
95-99% of what we receive is useless junk mail, which kills trees and increases the carbon footprint.
At our vacation home, we don't have a mailbox or PO Box, and we never miss anything.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
His issue is Amazon and Jeff Bezos. Does not like the discounted rate they were given to deliver the massive number of their parcels. It's actually what's keeping the Post Office afloat. It's Trumps usual petty retaliation for not having the support of Bezos.
You have a source for this? Because we have not had an Amazon delivery from the USPS in quite a while. Most of the time it is an Amazon vehicle or UPS. So how is Amazon keeping the USPS afloat, or did you just want to rant against the Orange man?

Reactions: TRU2RU
That is nice to recognize them, but the USPS is in big financial trouble. Trump has issues with the postal service (not sure what), and that just makes matters worse.

Their trouble started back around 2005 or 6 when congress passed a bill to immediately force the USPS to "fully fund" their pension at that point projected out 75 years. Essentially they had to put away money for someone that was not even working there yet or possibly even born. From that day on they operated in the red going forward.

Trump’s Vendetta Against Jeff Bezos Could Destroy the Postal Service

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...t-jeff-bezos-could-destroy-the-postal-service

Trump has frequently attacked USPS, roping the agency into his long-running blood feud with Amazon and its founder, Jeff Bezos, who also owns another Trump target: the Washington Post. Trump has said the company costs the postal service “massive amounts of money for being their Delivery Boy,” calling for USPS to raise their prices—something experts and the USPS Board of Governors have recommended against.

For Trump, though, the pandemic has seemed an opportunity for him to settle scores with the agency—and as leverage in his longstanding feuds with Bezos and American democracy. Indeed, his apparent plan to bleed the postal service dry comes as the agency is poised to play perhaps a bigger role than ever in November’s election, as Democrats and voting rights advocates call for mail-in voting and other measures to ensure Americans can safely cast ballots in the midst of the pandemic
From 2018, and it sounds like a lovely deal for all of the postal workers, those people like Bezos and the anti-Orange man crowd care so much about. But anything to support a rant. As usual, the situation is complicated.
https://gen.medium.com/confessions-...azon-packages-until-we-drop-dead-a6e96f125126

The post office has been losing money for a long time and to make it profitable should be reinvented. Some suggestion is eliminate some far out rural deliveries( not cost efficient) or charge more for places like South Dakota or Montana, delivery to the house once or twice a week, or even have them pick it up at the post office like businesses. Eliminate more post office locations.

I haven’t mailed anything for over a year.

The inconsistent delivery is due to the new Postmaster General's, another terrible Trump appointee, trying to eliminate overtime.Mail is being curtailed to keep carriers to an 8 hour workday.

Louis DeJoy is highly qualified to run the USPS by virtue of his generous donations to the Trump campaign. He bought and paid for his job with cold hard cash.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/07/851976464/new-postmaster-general-is-top-gop-fundraiser

Louis DeJoy, a North Carolina businessman who has given millions of dollars to the Republican Party, including the Trump campaign, has been named the nation's new postmaster general.

DeJoy has contributed more than $1.2 million to the Trump Victory Fund, and millions more to Republican Party organizations and candidates

You guys are funny. DeJoy ran a global logistics company for over 30 years, which sounds like good experience to run the USPS:
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2014/07/30/new-breed-bought-by-connecticut-firm-for-615m.html

And referencing the link I posted above, the Amazon contract had part-time workers working with no time off, some for 17 days in a row. Sounds like the USPS was poorly run and inefficient---is anybody going to deny that? And why do they continue to deliver mail 6 days per week when mail volume is way down during a pandemic? Looks like DeJoy is trying to make the USPS solvent. Is anybody against that? But doing so will not come easy.

https://www.govexec.com/pay-benefit...der-takes-aim-overtime-and-late-trips/166917/

DeJoy, the new postmaster general, “is looking at cost” and “making USPS financially solvent, which we are not,” according to the memo described as his “expectations and plans.” The Postal Service previously requested $75 billion in financial assistance from Congress, citing the fallout of the pandemic. While postal management said earlier this year it would likely run out of cash by the end of September, the agency said in a financial document in May that by accessing a $10 billion loan from the U.S. Treasury and prioritizing some payments over others "it expects that it will have sufficient liquidity to continue operating through at least May 2021."

Mail volume and revenue during the pandemic have dropped precipitously in the Postal Service’s regular mail delivery—its most profitable offering—but those declines have been offset somewhat by huge upticks in package business. Still, USPS' expenses are growing faster than its revenue and it lost $651 million in May, not accounting for inflationary changes to workers’ compensation costs.

Reactions: Ronnie_B and TRU2RU
Their trouble started back around 2005 or 6 when congress passed a bill to immediately force the USPS to "fully fund" their pension at that point projected out 75 years. Essentially they had to put away money for someone that was not even working there yet or possibly even born. From that day on they operated in the red going forward.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer...sions--some-key-myths-and-facts/#791c736847f5

Not entirely true according to Forbes, it’s pre funding the post retirement medical benefits.

Why? It's mostly useless. Almost anything sent by mail can be sent electronically. I don't think we receive any invoices, bills, etc through the mail.
95-99% of what we receive is useless junk mail, which kills trees and increases the carbon footprint.
At our vacation home, we don't have a mailbox or PO Box, and we never miss anything.
Because for a very low cost they provide a service I find valuable when I need to use it

Reactions: Kbee3

Drain the swamp!

You have a source for this? Because we have not had an Amazon delivery from the USPS in quite a while. Most of the time it is an Amazon vehicle or UPS. So how is Amazon keeping the USPS afloat, or did you just want to rant against the Orange man?

USPS has been doing last mile delivery for UPS/FedEx for awhile now, of course...whether packages that are Amazon purchases started with UPS, FedEx, or even Amazon couriers it's not always obvious, but I still receive occasional Amazon-purchased packages via USPS, either last mile and maybe even start to finish. Perhaps it depends more on the seller on Amazon (whether 3rd party or Amazon itself) and/or the service (Prime or regular delivery).

Because for a very low cost they provide a service I find valuable when I need to use it
Should we be expecting the government to provide low cost services that lose billions of dollars and provide horrible working conditions for employees just because some citizens enjoy their occasional use of this low cost service?
Remember, the USPS is supposed to run on user fees (postage) alone. Maybe it is way too bloated and operations have to be re-engineered to be more efficient with modern times and the realization that very little important information is transmitted by mail in modern times.
The US Patent and Trademark Office runs on user fees, and often has surpluses, which in the past have been raided by the federal government to diverted to other agencies.
https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2016/05/17/diversion-uspto-user-fees-tax-innovation/id=69070/

Early in his administration, Pres. Trump proposed budgets to end such fee diversion:
https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2017/05/...fy-2018-budget-avoids-fee-diversion/id=83633/

Maybe the USPS should raise their rates and look for other ways to increase revenue and cut costs.

Yes, hearing about mail not being delivered due to driver shortages in neighboring towns. No idea what the issue is.

depends where you live and what the actual origin of the package is. I’ll search for the link to the story I read a few months ago that said USPS still delivers about 40% of the e-commerce shipments in the US. It’s a lower % in metro areas where Amazon, UPS, etc deliver too. In rural areas it’s almost all USPS.

Does the vacation home count against your personal carbon footprint?

Should we be expecting the government to provide low cost services that lose billions of dollars and provide horrible working conditions for employees just because some citizens enjoy their occasional use of this low cost service?
Remember, the USPS is supposed to run on user fees (postage) alone. Maybe it is way too bloated and operations have to be re-engineered to be more efficient with modern times and the realization that very little important information is transmitted by mail in modern times.
The US Patent and Trademark Office runs on user fees, and often has surpluses, which in the past have been raided by the federal government to diverted to other agencies.
https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2016/05/17/diversion-uspto-user-fees-tax-innovation/id=69070/

Early in his administration, Pres. Trump proposed budgets to end such fee diversion:
https://www.ipwatchdog.com/2017/05/...fy-2018-budget-avoids-fee-diversion/id=83633/

Maybe the USPS should raise their rates and look for other ways to increase revenue and cut costs.
It will hurt the red states the most since densely populated states, blue states, a private company would be able to make money. The lawmakers from the rural states will not allow for the Post office to be eliminated. I believe they are forcing the Post Office to lose money now by their requirements since the PO wanted to make changes to be profitable.

The USPS should be sold to a private company but then you wouldn’t have mail delivery to a large portion of the United States.

It will hurt the red states the most since densely populated states, blue states, a private company would be able to make money. The lawmakers from the rural states will not allow for the Post office to be eliminated. I believe they are forcing the Post Office to lose money now by their requirements since the PO wanted to make changes to be profitable.

The USPS should be sold to a private company but then you wouldn’t have mail delivery to a large portion of the United States.
You are probably right. Even if there is an evil plot to destroy the USPS, which I don't agree there is, the man in charge does not think these things through and the consequences. He just runs on the spur of the moment and blurts out on Twitter or to the media whatever enters his head at any given time.

I believe the mail in urban areas still is profitable. I think it is mail to all the remote low population areas where they lose money. So I have no issue if you get rid of mail for the Dakotas and Alaska

You are probably right. Even if there is an evil plot to destroy the USPS, which I don't agree there is, the man in charge does not think these things through and the consequences. He just runs on the spur of the moment and blurts out on Twitter or to the media whatever enters his head at any given time.
Read an article about this years ago. I wanted to know why the post office couldn’t be profitable.

When the USPS becomes private in 8-15 years, Amazon will buy it since they already have the infrastructure. Expect mail to cost $1-2 dollars and maybe 2-5 dollars in the rural states.

No pension or any benefits for those Amazon “privately owned business”. I hear Amazon is squeezing the privately owned business that have Amazon signs on their trucks so they barely make a good profit.

In the near future if you work, you work for Amazon.

Last edited:
Not sure if other people are experiencing this but I’ve noticed an decline in mail delivery. We typically get 2-5 pieces of mail a day- every day. In the last month or so, we’d go 2-3 days without a piece of mail- followed by a full mailbox.

I mean no big deal but what is annoying is when I’m supposed to get packages, I’ve received a confirmation of delivery message. No package that day. It arrives 1-2 days later,

I got anthrax sent to me over email. Scary shit.

Not in Highland Park. We have a normal/bills mail carrier and a larger package carrier here every day. Plus numerous paid delivery services. No drop off at all.

Reactions: Knight Shift
So what. I’m happy you have a 2nd home. But I’d keep it out of a discussion that includes carbon footprint.
It has nothing to do with anything in this thread. If you think a solar-powered home in the desert has a big impact on the carbon footprint compared with thousands of mail trucks delivering junk mail to homes 6 days a week, then I don't know what to say to you. Try to stay on point instead of whataboutisms. It is wasteful from a fuel and efficiency standpoint to be delivering mail 6 days per week.

Coning from a retired Letter Carrier, you need to talk to your neighbor rather than complain about your "lazy" mailman. Carriers are required to give a "commitment" on delivery time every morning prior to starting delivery. It's based on the mail volume for that day. Having to stop, turn off the truck, set the parking brake, and remove the keys numerous times during the day increases the delivery time. This results in possible discipline from management. Inconsiderate blocking of mail boxes was one of my pet peeves during my employment!
I tipped every Christmas. Not any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT