ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Is your mail delivery slowing down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if other people are experiencing this but I’ve noticed an decline in mail delivery. We typically get 2-5 pieces of mail a day- every day. In the last month or so, we’d go 2-3 days without a piece of mail- followed by a full mailbox.

I mean no big deal but what is annoying is when I’m supposed to get packages, I’ve received a confirmation of delivery message. No package that day. It arrives 1-2 days later,

Anyone else notice a downturn in service?
Yet people think they can run something as complex and personal as healthcare.

Reactions: RUDead
Why? It's mostly useless. Almost anything sent by mail can be sent electronically. I don't think we receive any invoices, bills, etc through the mail.
95-99% of what we receive is useless junk mail, which kills trees and increases the carbon footprint.
At our vacation home, we don't have a mailbox or PO Box, and we never miss anything.
Some of us are old school and like the mail. I for one do. However, my wife does everything on line and once again, I'm the dinosaur for not keeping up with the times. Progress is great and all but sometimes people like things the way they are. And yes I just yelled at a kid to get off my farm.:Wink:

I see our resident liberals have turned yet another thread into an

3387933_2.jpg

Campaign.

Some of us are old school and like the mail. I for one do. However, my wife does everything on line and once again, I'm the dinosaur for not keeping up with the times. Progress is great and all but sometimes people like things the way they are. And yes I just yelled at a kid to get off my farm.:Wink:
Even worse, you live in the rural farm area. You should pay $5 for each piece of mail.

I was a rural delivery carrier (RCA) in Hillsborough and we routinely got out to deliver for blocked mailboxes especially when someone was having work done. We don’t have to and it is a pain in the arse because we have to shut the vehicle off every time we leave the vehicle. Only if someone routinely parked in front of their mailbox then I would skip them. If you have a problem, call your post office. They will talk to the carrier and try to resolve the problem.

Also, no one I worked with ever left a package on the lawn. I always felt guilty leaving packages on an uncovered porch when it was raining.

I know I only worked in Hillsborough and Franklin (I got sent over for three days when they were short handed) but we busted our butts and took pride in our work.

Hillsborough mail drivers are a bitch. Us landscapers need a place to park. Sometimes its very crowded as I try to stay away from mailboxes or even if we see him coming will stand by mailbox so we can put it in the mailbox. He just drives by like a speed demon.

It has nothing to do with anything in this thread. If you think a solar-powered home in the desert has a big impact on the carbon footprint compared with thousands of mail trucks delivering junk mail to homes 6 days a week, then I don't know what to say to you. Try to stay on point instead of whataboutisms. It is wasteful from a fuel and efficiency standpoint to be delivering mail 6 days per week.
KS ... Love your posts, but arguments that tie carbon footprint & second homes are incongruous.

Reactions: Greg2020
Even worse, you live in the rural farm area. You should pay $5 for each piece of mail.
Hey now, I'm not that rural, I have all the creatures of civilization three miles away. Just so happens my road and area is mostly small farms. In about 15 to 20 yrs. it'll be nothing but developments, but my road will be spared the carnage. Thank God for the NJ DEP and wetlands. They might be a pain in the ass to work with, but it'll save my neck of the woods.

Hey now, I'm not that rural, I have all the creatures of civilization three miles away. Just so happens my road and area is mostly small farms. In about 15 to 20 yrs. it'll be nothing but developments, but my road will be spared the carnage. Thank God for the NJ DEP and wetlands. They might be a pain in the ass to work with, but it'll save my neck of the woods.
Anything south of Newark is rural to me.

Yes but in our case it is due to a lazy mail carrier. We have curbside mailboxes, and if my neighbor's kid parks a hair too close, no mail that day. In the spring & fall she'll get out of the truck but not summer or winter.

Well, if they get out of the truck in spring and fall but not summer and winter it's not lazy. Unless you think they are only lazy for 1/2 the year.

One of the reason mail is slower in the northeast the past few weeks is due to the spike in COVID-19 in the south. Mail is being ru thru the northeast’s distribution centers while the southern distribution centers are running at 10-20 percent t capacity.

Reactions: RU Cheese
I am inclined to blame Trump. He has been pretty transparent about wanting a low turnout. And he has his crony running the post offices.

Look, someone who has asked a foreign official for a political favor will have no compulsions in asking his crony for a political favor.
Of course you see it that way. Many see it as he wants a fair election with voting taking place legally. Open mail in ballots are a total joke. Do you have any idea how many dead people will receive one and how easy it is to corrupt the process especially in senior/high density living.

Of course you see it that way. Many see it as he wants a fair election with voting taking place legally. Open mail in ballots are a total joke. Do you have any idea how many dead people will receive one and how easy it is to corrupt the process especially in senior/high density living.
We've had 100% mail in voting in Washington for years now with no reporting of voter fraud. Oregon the same thing for 26 years. The real reason for Trump's whining is that mail in voting thwarts the Republican agenda of voter suppression. Voter Photo I.D. laws passed by many Republican State Legislators prevents many inner city citizens, blacks, from voting because they don't have one. Reason is, they don't own a car because they can use mass transit, and therefore have no Driver's License. Trump knows full well that if they are allowed to vote by mail, he stands no chance of winning. He stated so many months ago.

Last edited:
I'm with you, the less information I have online the better. That goes double for my finances.

Reactions: LC-88 and koleszar
I always delivered it anyway and so did the other RCAs (part timers) that I worked with. And I always appreciated when I could hand it off to someone to put in the box. The vast majority of landscapers and construction workers were very accommodating and much less bitchy then our resident lawn mower.

Blame trump . It’s not the employees . It’s being done purposely around election time for spite and to create chaos.

shelly impressing us with his Po Sci analysis.

How come no one else came up with this factoid?

I used to be a mailman in Edison. Everyone thinks it's easy but it was by far the most difficult job I've ever had. You start out filling in for people who are off each day, so every day you're on a new route and it's like your first day on the job. They're only allowed to have 15% of the carriers be in this category, and that is nowhere near enough. Luckily the contract with the union mandated that we get at least one day off every pay period, and that was all we'd get. We'd do a route plus part of another route because there just weren't enough of us, so we'd work 13 straight days of mandatory overtime and then get our one measly day off before another 13 consecutive 11-hour days. Everything is rigidly timed with unrealistic expectations, so no matter how much you bust your ass, it's not enough. I put up with it for about three months or so and eventually took a big paycut to get out of there.

Why? It's mostly useless. Almost anything sent by mail can be sent electronically. I don't think we receive any invoices, bills, etc through the mail.
95-99% of what we receive is useless junk mail, which kills trees and increases the carbon footprint.
At our vacation home, we don't have a mailbox or PO Box, and we never miss anything.
USPS delivers a lot of packages. People get medicine, checks, and other important stuff through the mail.

Their trouble started back around 2005 or 6 when congress passed a bill to immediately force the USPS to "fully fund" their pension at that point projected out 75 years. Essentially they had to put away money for someone that was not even working there yet or possibly even born. From that day on they operated in the red going forward.
Yep and it's a shame that more people don't know this. I doubt there's another employer in the world that has this financial burden put on them, and the people who passed that law are now pointing at them for not being profitable.

The post office has been losing money for a long time and to make it profitable should be reinvented. Some suggestion is eliminate some far out rural deliveries( not cost efficient) or charge more for places like South Dakota or Montana, delivery to the house once or twice a week, or even have them pick it up at the post office like businesses. Eliminate more post office locations.

I haven’t mailed anything for over a year.
It's not supposed to be profitable, it's a government agency. As for why it loses money, see the above post I quoted from RU Golfer.

Hillsborough mail drivers are a bitch. Us landscapers need a place to park. Sometimes its very crowded as I try to stay away from mailboxes or even if we see him coming will stand by mailbox so we can put it in the mailbox. He just drives by like a speed demon.
As innocent as it may be, I'm pretty sure a mail carrier handing you someone else's mail is technically a federal offense.

His issue is Amazon and Jeff Bezos. Does not like the discounted rate they were given to deliver the massive number of their parcels. It's actually what's keeping the Post Office afloat. It's Trumps usual petty retaliation for not having the support of Bezos.
Wrong,wrong wrong. As a 30 year retired postal worker,upper postal management, the morons they are made,as Trump said a horrible deal.Hardly keeping the USPS afloat.What would have kept them afloat was if they had put effort into keeping the parcel business long before UPS, FEDEX, other delivery agencies ever got a foot hold. Again, morons at the top.The Amazon deal was horrendous they never figured the extra amount of fuel and wear on the trucks using central hubs to pick up the parcells, or the OT or extra workers they had to hire to try and keep the business with Amazon..As if that wasn't enough of their ignorant shortsightedness,they agreed to handle UPS "last mile" a dump off of parcels UPS knew were to areas they couldn't turn a profit on. So they'll just give it to the the dumb Motherfu#kers that run the USPS,lol Put your hate for Trump aside for a minute, Trump is 100% correct

Last edited:
I used to be a mailman in Edison. Everyone thinks it's easy but it was by far the most difficult job I've ever had. You start out filling in for people who are off each day, so every day you're on a new route and it's like your first day on the job. They're only allowed to have 15% of the carriers be in this category, and that is nowhere near enough. Luckily the contract with the union mandated that we get at least one day off every pay period, and that was all we'd get. We'd do a route plus part of another route because there just weren't enough of us, so we'd work 13 straight days of mandatory overtime and then get our one measly day off before another 13 consecutive 11-hour days. Everything is rigidly timed with unrealistic expectations, so no matter how much you bust your ass, it's not enough. I put up with it for about three months or so and eventually took a big paycut to get out of there.

USPS delivers a lot of packages. People get medicine, checks, and other important stuff through the mail.

Yep and it's a shame that more people don't know this. I doubt there's another employer in the world that has this financial burden put on them, and the people who passed that law are now pointing at them for not being profitable.

It's not supposed to be profitable, it's a government agency. As for why it loses money, see the above post I quoted from RU Golfer.

As innocent as it may be, I'm pretty sure a mail carrier handing you someone else's mail is technically a federal offense.
100%. Public has no clue, carried for 30 years in the $hitshow.Most management that told you what to do, never carried a letter!!!

Reactions: robcac26
I just received a cute little pack of seeds in the mail. Not sure who it's from but the packaging is adorable. I figure I'll eat one later if I'm bored and then plant the rest in the garden.
I know a couple on here I'd love to see you share them with,in fact, he'll probably reply, he follows me around.:Wink:

My mail carrier has been coming later and later, but at least she comes and delivers. Lately, I have a bourbon Manhattan waiting for her, as I am the last street she gets to.

9003919436-0_600.jpg

Mail is fine in Florida. Just received my ballots yesterday. Caught a great sale on paper and toner at staples!! All good.

Exactly , it’s hilarious that some people think trump is actually doing this to have a fair election . Every move he makes is for his benefit and his reelection purposes and if he loses he has a built in excuse .

Trump and all of his cronies have voted by mail and will continue to do so for this election . He will continue to spread misinformation all the way up to election time to create chaos because it’s the only chance he has to win . He could care less about fair elections because of he did he would have spoke out against Russia in our last one and the fact they are continuing to do it for this one

are we really allowing this now MODS...I mean seriously. If we are now allowed to post stuff like this, then let us know

Reactions: T2Kplus10

they are awful, we have helped them out sometimes, but quite frankly, its the friggin job, get out and deliver the mail...geez. When we work and have to move a trampoline or a table we dont say oh we are going to skip this...dont understand why mailman have sticks up their butt about getting out, some people have to walk for their mail route

I can't put my hatred for Trump aside as I have 150,000, and counting, new reasons.
I just gave you a reason not to blame him for this, and of course,there weren't any other mistakes made, by a boat load of people he relied on giving him correct information. Remember when it wasn't airborne? Remember when Pelosi said it was safe to go to restaurants and visit her dump of a city? Remember when Cuomo sentences 1,000's to die in nursing homes? Can we minus those deaths from the 150,000 you easily place on Trump? You were wrong on USPS, but like so many of you from the left, you just can't get yourself to say it.

We've had 100% mail in voting in Washington for years now with no reporting of voter fraud. Oregon the same thing for 26 years. The real reason for Trump's whining is that mail in voting thwarts the Republican agenda of voter suppression. Voter Photo I.D. laws passed by many Republican State Legislators prevents many inner city citizens, blacks, from voting because they don't have one. Reason is, they don't own a car because they can use mass transit, and therefore have no Driver's License. Trump knows full well that if they are allowed to vote by mail, he stands no chance of winning. He stated so many months ago.
Great result - Looks like everything is going fine in Portland and Seattle. No thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caliknight
they are awful, we have helped them out sometimes, but quite frankly, its the friggin job, get out and deliver the mail...geez. When we work and have to move a trampoline or a table we dont say oh we are going to skip this...dont understand why mailman have sticks up their butt about getting out, some people have to walk for their mail route
As I mentioned in my post, everything is rigidly timed. Getting out of the truck multiple times on a route that is supposed to be just driving is going to put you further behind schedule. The routes that are walking are timed accordingly.

When I started, they mentioned at orientation not to deliver to a house that would require you to walk through ice, or snow-covered stairs, etc., but I had the mindset that I'm going to deliver everything and that some ice and snow isn't a big deal. I quickly realized I was wrong when one other carrier broke his leg after slipping on a driveway, and on multiple occasions I fell down icy stairs that resulted in some pretty deep cuts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT