ADVERTISEMENT

OT: It's a Sad Day: No More Ho Jo's

RutgersMO

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2001
Rutgers & NJ @ Heart

I remember the Howard Johnson's near my house in Brookdale Gardens, Bloomfield.

The guys would all congregate on Friday / or Saturday night and find out if you made it to first base. Circa 1965 a woman stood up in Howard Johnson's and announced she would marry any man who wanted the deferment that was ending by 11:59pm that night. We looked at the girl, and shrugged (she was plump, non descript....might have had a nice personality) and decided to take our chances.

Ho Jo's will be missed!

MO

The guys would all congregate on Friday / or Saturday night and find out if you made it to first base. Circa 1965 a woman stood up in Howard Johnson's and announced she would marry any man who wanted the deferment that was ending by 11:59pm that night. We looked at the girl, and shrugged (she was plump, non descript....might have had a nice personality) and decided to take our chances.

Ho Jo's will be missed!

MO
Nah no one will miss ho jo‘s trust me

Reactions: Jm0513 and WhiteBus
Wow, that really is the end of an era. I remember as a very little kid in the 70's we'd do these 2-3 week road trips in the summer to different parts of the country. Howard Johnson and Holiday Inn were staples on these trips.

Wasn't there one in Piscataway? We used to go there for ice cream late at night.
I think the Mets had a player named Howard Johnson. Hope he is still around.

The ho Jos in Claymont Delaware was my go to place away from home while attending law school. A big breakfast consisting of two eggs, pancakes, toast, sausage and bacon would last me a whole day.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Ho Jo's won't be missed, they have been crap since most of us were going in the 60s and early 70s.
When was the last time you all been in one???

Reactions: Jm0513
Wow, that really is the end of an era. I remember as a very little kid in the 70's we'd do these 2-3 week road trips in the summer to different parts of the country. Howard Johnson and Holiday Inn were staples on these trips.

That's the motels, which remain. Inexpensive and clean during those vacation trips in the 60s. The restaurants only existed because you were saying at a HoJos and didn't know the area.

That’s sad.

Howard Johnson’s is super iconic.

Ho Jo's will be missed!

MO
All you can eat clam strips and fish fillets! What could be better?

Reactions: batts
The one on the Asbury Park boardwalk was quite unique.

4700330238_65db54a1a3_z.jpg

ab8fa8affbea83d05e8f464fc770fb6d.jpg

d8f7d4e6c152e3a953a259699aae14e1.jpg

Ho Jo's won't be missed, they have been crap since most of us were going in the 60s and early 70s.
When was the last time you all been in one???
LOL definitely in the 60's ...and possibly sometime in the late 70's! But I've lived in CA since 1968 (after Graduation from RU) ....then onto Oregon in 2019 and now Washington 2021~

MO

Rt. 17 in Paramus was our go-to Ho Jo's when I was a kid in the early to mid-80s. Dang, now ya got me thinking of some of the other long gone restaurants and food chains... The Ground Round, Roy Rogers (still at reststops but yeah), and how about TCBY?! They were huge! And then ya blinked and they were gone, seemingly just as fast as Blockbusters, ha. Steak and Ale was another. Bennigan's are hard to find these days. And how about Lone Star?! They had awesome fries in like a spicy pink sauce. And remember ShowBiz Pizza, the Chuck E. Cheese knockoff? Ha. And Chi-Chi's. Also, I had no idea that Don Pablo's had gone extinct. Just looked it up.

Reactions: RU Golfer
Rt. 17 in Paramus was our go-to Ho Jo's when I was a kid in the early to mid-80s. Dang, now ya got me thinking of some of the other long gone restaurants and food chains... The Ground Round, Roy Rogers (still at reststops but yeah), and how about TCBY?! They were huge! And then ya blinked and they were gone, seemingly just as fast as Blockbusters, ha. Steak and Ale was another. Bennigan's are hard to find these days. And how about Lone Star?! They had awesome fries in like a spicy pink sauce. And remember ShowBiz Pizza, the Chuck E. Cheese knockoff? Ha. And Chi-Chi's. Also, I had no idea that Don Pablo's had gone extinct. Just looked it up.
That HoJo was on the south bound side correct? There is a Roy Rogers on Hooper Ave in brick. I remember all that you listed except Don Pablo's. Don't forget Ground Round and Beefsteak Charlie's.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
The one on the Asbury Park boardwalk was quite unique.

4700330238_65db54a1a3_z.jpg

ab8fa8affbea83d05e8f464fc770fb6d.jpg

d8f7d4e6c152e3a953a259699aae14e1.jpg
Growing up in Monmouth County in the 1970s this was my introduction to Ho Jos. If the weather was nice and we had behaved in church on Sunday our treat was going to the Asbury Park boardwalk, hop on a few of the kiddie rides. Then if we still hadn't acted up, a maybe a grilled cheese lunch at Ho Jo.

Of course I did not realize how unique this location was in terms of the building until I got a little older.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Growing up in Monmouth County in the 1970s this was my introduction to Ho Jos. If the weather was nice and we had behaved in church on Sunday our treat was going to the Asbury Park boardwalk, hop on a few of the kiddie rides. Then if we still hadn't acted up, a maybe a grilled cheese lunch at Ho Jo.

Of course I did not realize how unique this location was in terms of the building until I got a little older.
The building now is home to Tim McCloones Supper Club.

Reactions: Skull83
The one in Asbury Park was great... Never ate there, but while waiting in line for Springsteens Christmas Show, probably around 2000, we would run into the Ho Jo's and they would sell us beers and put them in big white styrofoam cups.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Route 1, North, Woodbridge in the 50's. Only positive I can offer is that they had great maple walnut ice cream.

Oh, I did spend a memorable night at the HJ Inn at intersection of Rt 18/RT 1 one Military Ball Weekend @1962.

Reactions: 29PAS
All you can eat clam strips and fish fillets! What could be better?
That is my childhood. HoJo's was my Dad's favorite. Regardless of where we ever ate- Dad always got fried fish filets. So, the all you could eat was a weekly no brainer. I always got the clam strips and loved mixing the tarter sauce and ketchup to dip my fries into.

Route 1, North, Woodbridge in the 50's. Only positive I can offer is that they had great maple walnut ice cream.

Oh, I did spend a memorable night at the HJ Inn at intersection of Rt 18/RT 1 one Military Ball Weekend @1962.
My family use to go to the Ho Jo's off the GSP exit 135 circle in Clark during the late 60's. The clam strips and choice of 28 ice cream flavors made it a favorite place as a kid back then.

I had a few memorable nights at that Hojo's in the fall of '66!

History of the HoJo's clam strips. Link below states: "In 1966 Howard Johnson’s ended its 32-year contract with the Soffron Brothers. . . . .Soffron Brothers continued in business into the 1990’s spanning three generations of family ownership until the building and land was sold to Mercury Brewing."

howard_johnson.jpg

Last edited:
Ft. Lauderdale for Spring Break.. HoJo's was a great spot...
s-l1600.jpg

The one in Pompano was similar
It was torn down and is a parking lot now
Across the street at the beach there was a 1000ft pier that extended out to a reef
I used to snorkel 300-400 yds out to the reef before I was even 13.
Even from Google Maps you can see the reef (but not HoJo's lol)

YKRkSLl.jpg

That is my childhood. HoJo's was my Dad's favorite. Regardless of where we ever ate- Dad always got fried fish filets. So, the all you could eat was a weekly no brainer. I always got the clam strips and loved mixing the tarter sauce and ketchup to dip my fries into.
Our family was often at the HJ fish fry and clam fry dinners, all you can eat for $3-4 each at their RT 22 Springfield location. Unlimited fries and sodas as well.

The one in Pompano was similar
It was torn down and is a parking lot now
Across the street at the beach there was a 1000ft pier that extended out to a reef
I used to snorkel 300-400 yds out to the reef before I was even 13.
Even from Google Maps you can see the reef (but not HoJo's lol)

YKRkSLl.jpg
Parents would face a court if they let their kid do that today!

That HoJo was on the south bound side correct? There is a Roy Rogers on Hooper Ave in brick. I remember all that you listed except Don Pablo's. Don't forget Ground Round and Beefsteak Charlie's.
Yup, I had Ground Round but forgot Beefsteak Charlie's! Ha. And yup, southbound side, right after one of the exits. :)

Last edited:
Parents would face a court if they let their kid do that today!

I wouldn't doubt it
Luckily my parents were in NY, and I was with my aunts who stayed at HoJos while I swam with the trigger fishes
I had US Divers rocket fins, weight belt, mask and knife.
I had a spear gun back home (I shot it through a closet door)
I blame Jacques Cousteau and Falco for making me a risk to myself and others
I look back and an old quote comes to mind "God looks out for fools and children."
I know I was one and probably both lol

Howard Johnsons was a staple of family drives from NJ to Florida in the summer during the early 1980s. Getting fried clams (and then ice cream for dessert) was always something I looked forward to.

Reactions: newell138
Jacques Pepin has a clip on his Facebook page of when he was one of the chefs for Howard Johnson's. They served more people per day than anyone except the US Army.

Reactions: batts
Middletown Rt 35 was ours, Tom Turkey, and one the 28 flavors. Now out on Cape Cod, the Lost Dog Pub is in a building that was the 2nd HoJo’s ever.

DSCF0524.jpg

My family use to go there for breakfasts in CA. I thought the breakfasts were pretty good. I loved their chocolate milk!

ADVERTISEMENT