ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jack Reed Dead at 89

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
The Yankees' outfielder,known as Mickey Mantle's caddie for the many times he went into a game late to save Mickey's legs,has passed.
In that caddie role,he became a historical footnote by hitting the latest home run ever-in the 22nd inning of the Yanks 9-7 win at Detroit on June 24,1962.

The Yankees' outfielder,known as Mickey Mantle's caddie for the many times he went into a game late to save Mickey's legs,has passed.
In that caddie role,he became a historical footnote by hitting the latest home run ever-in the 22nd inning of the Yanks 9-7 win at Detroit on June 24,1962.
I'm old enough to remember this guy.

I'm not old enough to remember him, but it's a cool story that I didn't know.

I do remember Reed. I also remember the home run because I listened to that game. The home run he hit in that game was the one and only major league homer in his career.

I’m old enough to remember the game. It was at Yankee Stadium. One team put up a 7 spot in the first inning—I think it was the Yanks. Detroit had 6 in the first and a singleton in the 2nd (could have been the other way around)and it was 7-7 from then on until Reed hit the homer in the 22nd inning.

I’m old enough to remember the game. It was at Yankee Stadium. One team put up a 7 spot in the first inning—I think it was the Yanks. Detroit had 6 in the first and a singleton in the 2nd (could have been the other way around)and it was 7-7 from then on until Reed hit the homer in the 22nd inning.
My memory says the game was at Tiger Stadium -- that Reed's homer was in the top of the 22nd. Here's the box score. Note that Rocky Colavito had seven hits, making him one of the few players ever to do that.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET196206240.shtml

Reactions: thegock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT