ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jersey City is most expensive city in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

rutgersdave

Hall of Famer
Jan 23, 2004

You’ve heard people complain about the notoriously high costs of living in New York City and San Francisco. But guess what — there’s somewhere else in the US that’s more expensive to live in.

The title now goes to none other than Jersey City, located right across the Hudson River from Manhattan.

Yes. You heard that right.

Sometimes referred to as the invisible sixth borough of New York City, rent there now averages $5,500, according to a report by the listing portal, Rent.

To compare, last month, the average rental price in Manhattan topped $5,000 for the first time in Big Apple history.

I guess i could lol, the building in the right is the one I live in, along with half the NJ Devils. Rents became absurd, but have now started to already fall back. The the 3 bedrooms on the end with a view from staten island to the GW, were going for $8900, amenities are great. I lived in one of thos when they were much less. Now have 2 bedroom on the north side.

we own elsewhere and use it when we are down by NY.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Mayor Fulop’s #MakeJerseyCityYours is code for build luxury housing for NYCers and price out long time Jersey City residents. They officially ran out of space in Downtown/Newport areas so they’re moved onto Journal Square/ McGinley Square.

Reactions: Section124
Mayor Fulop’s #MakeJerseyCityYours is code for build luxury housing for NYCers and price out long time Jersey City residents. They officially ran out of space in Downtown/Newport areas so they’re moved onto Journal Square/ McGinley Square.
They are building five new high rises in newport as we speak…

They are building five new high rises in newport as we speak…
I know. That spot between Hoboken light rail station and Newport Green Beach wouldve been the perfect spot to expand Newport Green into a legit city park with open space/ ball fields/ playgrounds. But can’t make money off city parks. 🤷🏻‍♂️

seems like when a town is a dump, knock it for that.
Let it turn into the rich's playground, make that a no- no
Angry Kacey Musgraves GIF by Cuco

seems like when a town is a dump, knock it for that.
Let it turn into the rich's playground, make that a no- no
Angry Kacey Musgraves GIF by Cuco
To be fair it would be nice if every attractive place didn't become completely unaffordable for most people, which often destroys whatever character a place has. Rich people are, well, kind of boring, and anyway how many damn high end restaurants and boutiques do we need?

To be fair it would be nice if every attractive place didn't become completely unaffordable for most people, which often destroys whatever character a place has. Rich people are, well, kind of boring, and anyway how many damn high end restaurants and boutiques do we need?
Or “luxury housing” with paper thin walls and other shoddy complaints that NYCers have when they move into those Newport or J Sq buildings.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
I guess i could lol, the building in the right is the one I live in, along with half the NJ Devils. Rents became absurd, but have now started to already fall back. The the 3 bedrooms on the end with a view from staten island to the GW, were going for $8900, amenities are great. I lived in one of thos when they were much less. Now have 2 bedroom on the north side.

we own elsewhere and use it when we are down by NY.
8900 a month rent? What type of people rent these units?

People who don't have the discipline to save up a downpayment.
Lol, like me? we own elsewhere and I use my place when I need to be in the city. Do not want to pay $3million for an apt that we will 4-5 years.

People that live there? A mix of empty nesters, nhl players (Hughes heischer and about 7 other devils), young graduates 8900/3 with huge patio and awesome view, a lot of people in banking. Quick turnover most go for a few years while figuring out where to buy. Newport was an abandoned rail yard, displaced no one and is heck of a lot better than when the bought

I only went to JC once - to see a George Clooney's father give a talk at restored movie theater in Journal Square. I don't remember which theater but it was huge and nice. JC itself felt like foreign country

You’ve heard people complain about the notoriously high costs of living in New York City and San Francisco. But guess what — there’s somewhere else in the US that’s more expensive to live in.

The title now goes to none other than Jersey City, located right across the Hudson River from Manhattan.

Yes. You heard that right.

Sometimes referred to as the invisible sixth borough of New York City, rent there now averages $5,500, according to a report by the listing portal, Rent.

To compare, last month, the average rental price in Manhattan topped $5,000 for the first time in Big Apple history.
Lots of new construction there so not a surprise.

Lol, like me? we own elsewhere and I use my place when I need to be in the city. Do not want to pay $3million for an apt that we will 4-5 years.

People that live there? A mix of empty nesters, nhl players (Hughes heischer and about 7 other devils), young graduates 8900/3 with huge patio and awesome view, a lot of people in banking. Quick turnover most go for a few years while figuring out where to buy. Newport was an abandoned rail yard, displaced no one and is heck of a lot better than when the bought

If you can afford $8900 per month for when you "need to be in the city" congratulations. And there are excellent places in Bergen towns that 3 non-NHL players can rent for $4k per month.

And I said nothing about displacing anyone.

Reactions: Local Shill
I have worked in Newport since 2005. Love it. However since COVID have been full time remote. As much as I love it I just don’t see enough going on there to live there. In fact a number of people I know have bought and moved back to the burbs over the years. Hoboken still much better for restaurants. You are paying for access to the city but they need more parks from Newport to Exchange Place.

I have worked in Newport since 2005. Love it. However since COVID have been full time remote. As much as I love it I just don’t see enough going on there to live there. In fact a number of people I know have bought and moved back to the burbs over the years. Hoboken still much better for restaurants. You are paying for access to the city but they need more parks from Newport to Exchange Place.
I’ve been out of JC for 8 years now, but lived there from 2006-2014. Started in Newport, which I did not enjoy at all. Apartments were nice with incredible views, but it’s such a transient community. After 2 years, I moved over to the Grove St area, which I absolutely loved. JC restaurants are as good as Hoboken, if not better. All that said, I now live in Hunterdon County, which I far prefer (likely because it just suits me better in my early 40s, whereas JC was great from my late 20s-early 30s). When I left JC in 2014, I think I was paying ~$3500/month for a 1BR apartment including parking.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
JC is a typical NJ city.....high crime, awful public schools. The only people moving there are those that can't afford NYC (and of course, they are only interested in the few gentrified blocks were semi-rich people kicked out the poor and middle class).

At least JC did better than AP for families! It came in at the 497th best town/city to raise a family. LOL!

I’ve been out of JC for 8 years now, but lived there from 2006-2014. Started in Newport, which I did not enjoy at all. Apartments were nice with incredible views, but it’s such a transient community. After 2 years, I moved over to the Grove St area, which I absolutely loved. JC restaurants are as good as Hoboken, if not better. All that said, I now live in Hunterdon County, which I far prefer (likely because it just suits me better in my early 40s, whereas JC was great from my late 20s-early 30s). When I left JC in 2014, I think I was paying ~$3500/month for a 1BR apartment including parking.
Grove St definitely has great restaurants. Not so much Newport. We used to do bunch of corporate events there. Issue with JC is that PATH and light rail are good during business hours, but very inconvenient afterward. I spent way too much on Ubers trying to catch trains at Hoboken it back home as a result. 😃. All in all love working there and anyone saying otherwise hasn’t been there. Best thing JC ever did was the light rail and river walk.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
JC is a typical NJ city.....high crime, awful public schools. The only people moving there are those that can't afford NYC (and of course, they are only interested in the few gentrified blocks were semi-rich people kicked out the poor and middle class).

At least JC did better than AP for families! It came in at the 497th best town/city to raise a family. LOL!
When my company initially moved there in 2005, a lot of folks were not happy. That quickly changed when we got there. The waterfront/Grove St are really a great places. For folks from the burbs, you are never going to interior JC so you will not have issues. I experienced no crime in almost 20 years of being there. In fact, Newport definitely has more of a family feel than I expected. People that have not been there still think of the waterfront prior to the 90’s when there really was high crime. Once the mall and exchange place was built, that was the kick start. The light rail just made development explode. Give it a chance. I think you would even like it. 😃

Reactions: T2Kplus20
This study is a joke.

Tico, I usually like your posts, but can't disagree more here. Building housing is what keeps cities affordable, and that's the reason why Jersey City is actually far more affordable than NYC.

Jersey City is a great place to live and to visit. Everyone criticizing it in this thread is betraying their ignorance.

Take it up with local zoning and the updated building codes. Towns make it so expensive to build between fees, meetings, regulations, meetings, fees, meetings, fees, revisions...by the time you get a shovel in the ground after buying the expensive land your only option is luxury or call the state for a tax credit and make it affordable.

Work force housing is almost impossible to building without losing your ass.

If you can afford $8900 per month for when you "need to be in the city" congratulations. And there are excellent places in Bergen towns that 3 non-NHL players can rent for $4k per month.

And I said nothing about displacing anyone.
Where did I say mine was 8900. I said 3 bedrooms on the ny facing end were 8900, and that I had lived in one. When the building opened those were around 5700. I mentioned i live in a north facing 2 bedroom (Great views of mid-town on up).. Those go for around 6k now, but thats not what I got it for.

kids dont want to live in Bergen…

When I taught at Pace in lower Manhattan I remember the rooftop bar at the exchange place…I can’t really comment on JC…seemed nice enough, but that bar was pure swank and the view could not be beat…I mean if you’re going to pay that much for booze…☺️

...The only people moving there are those that can't afford NYC...
Um... you must realize that the story from OP said JC charges MORE than NYC.. marginally. And NYC has all the same disadvantages you mentioned if you think about it. What the OP story should have taught you is that maybe your old ideas about JC don't apply any longer.. at least not universally. Instead you just plow ahead with your old set opinion.

The study is wrong though. Jersey City stereotypes are outdated, but JC is still way cheaper than Manhattan. Jersey City is basically the same as a nice neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens at this point.

Reactions: Steveriknight
Um... you must realize that the story from OP said JC charges MORE than NYC.. marginally. And NYC has all the same disadvantages you mentioned if you think about it. What the OP story should have taught you is that maybe your old ideas about JC don't apply any longer.. at least not universally. Instead you just plow ahead with your old set opinion.
Although taxes are lower in New Jersey. That might amount to a lot per year for some people.

The study is wrong though. Jersey City stereotypes are outdated, but JC is still way cheaper than Manhattan. Jersey City is basically the same as a nice neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens at this point.
I thought the analysis was based on cost of housing as a percentage of income so that was why JC was highest

+1
The study is stupid and 100% wrong, especially factoring in price per sq ft. Obviously, I'm not into cities and NYC/Manhattan is dirty and messy. However, at least is it iconic, historic, and contains many world famous places and experiences. Crazy to try to compare the 2 places.

How is the Heights section of Jersey City now

I knew several families that lived there many years ago. At that time it was safe

It had a mix of single family homes and small apartment buildings

How is the Heights section of Jersey City now

I knew several families that lived there many years ago. At that time it was safe

It had a mix of single family homes and small apartment buildings
-They’re knocking down old businesses and houses to build the usual 3-5 story apartment buildings with the shoddy material.
-Other than Newport/Downtown, the safest part of JC although stuff happens up there as well. Not as much as other spots though.

+1
The study is stupid and 100% wrong, especially factoring in price per sq ft. Obviously, I'm not into cities and NYC/Manhattan is dirty and messy. However, at least is it iconic, historic, and contains many world famous places and experiences. Crazy to try to compare the 2 places.
Number 1 reason people tell us the move to our building is more space and better amenities. Simple things, In unit laundry, pool, concierge, fitness room, parking for $240.

Basic 2 Bdr in Ellipse 1100-1200 sq ft. Most with a 150sqft balcony as well.

2 Bdrm in nyc at this property ce pt, 850 sq ft. Possible walk up, none of the amenities.

so JC can charge the same or more as nyc on avg .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT