ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jersey City is most expensive city in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who don't have the discipline to save up a downpayment.
You do realize not everyone renting is looking to own. Many of these younger couples paying those rents have plenty for a down payment. Many do own homes too, but have purchased duplexes and multi unit that they are using as investment.
But want to live hassle free with amenities, great restaurants and nightlife they can walk to and easy commute to their jobs in the city.
when I was younger, by the time I hit 26, I was looking for my family home with at least .25 acre or more and away from any city. That doesn’t happen with this generation until close to 40

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Some amazing restaurants in JC. My two favorites are
Liberty House and Battello…. More casual are Porta or The Ashford which has a rooftop.
QTorLtw.jpg

aFijDGo.jpg

Or for a more low key day Liberty Science center and a picnic at Liberty State Park.

I thought you M*G*’s come locked and loaded? Jersey City is a fun time. 😉

What was this thread about again? Lol

Some amazing restaurants in JC. My two favorites are
Liberty House and Battello…. More casual are Porta or The Ashford which has a rooftop.
QTorLtw.jpg

aFijDGo.jpg

Or for a more low key day Liberty Science center and a picnic at Liberty State Park.

I thought you M*G*’s come locked and loaded? Jersey City is a fun time. 😉

What was this thread about again? Lol
Love Battelos. My old building is next door and current building is directly across the street. Also love Liberty House. We did our holiday party there every year for the past 5-7 years.

Reactions: Jm0513
Love Battelos. My old building is next door and current building is directly across the street. Also love Liberty House. We did our holiday party there every year for the past 5-7 years.
Don't you mean CHRISTMAS PARTY?

Don't you mean CHRISTMAS PARTY?
I bet he meant what he said.

His company probably has non Christian’s that work for them and attend

I have Christmas parties with my family. At least 4 during the season. I also attend at least 3 holiday parties thrown by people and businesses where not everyone celebrates Christmas

I never understand the faux horror of the word holiday.

I have Christmas parties with my family. At least 4 during the season. I also attend at least 3 holiday parties thrown by people and businesses where not everyone celebrates Christmas

Right? Not everyone celebrate Christmas.

UM, UM, ok. MAYBE, I was playing with him. But MAYBE, I wasn't. BUT, without Christmas there would be NO party. Ya know, just sayin.

So don't go to a Christmas party and don't take Christmas day off from work.
1) I’m not the one with the Christmas Conniption that everyone must follow the same rules I do. That would be you.

2) I deserve a hell of a lot more than one day off for what I do lol.

1) I’m not the one with the Christmas Conniption that everyone must do the same thing I do. That would be you.

2) I deserve a hell of a lot more than one day off for what I do lol.
#1 - you don't know me. SOO you are assuming.
#2 - I will take your word for it.

I worked with several people who would rather work on Christmas and use that day to take off on one of their holidays
That is why most companies give extra PTO days so employees have some discretionary days for their holidays. If the markets are closed or a Federal holiday, no use working that day anyway.

-They’re knocking down old businesses and houses to build the usual 3-5 story apartment buildings with the shoddy material.
-Other than Newport/Downtown, the safest part of JC although stuff happens up there as well. Not as much as other spots though.
3-5 story apartment buildings aren't legal in a lot of The Heights. There's far more demolition of multi family apartment buildings to build single family homes. THAT's what's making the neighborhood less affordable.

3-5 story apartment buildings aren't legal in a lot of The Heights. There's far more demolition of multi family apartment buildings to build single family homes. THAT's what's making the neighborhood less affordable.
That’s what’s going on in Greenville: the building that’s going up on Danforth/Blvd, the buildings that went up on Old Bergen/ Seaview (or Neptune), what’s about to be built next to the HBLR entrance at Danforth, etc.

There has been two “suspicious” fires in two old school apartment buildings across the street from each other on Lembeck and Ocean. The first one happend last year when “lightning struck” even though it wasn’t raining at the time, while residents of the other building swore that the fire was set because the new owners wanted to rehab everything.

Triggered are ya? What is funny about your ilk, is when you assume what is posted by someone is not sarcasm. it is a message board don't take it so serious.
And you’re still tagging me… why lol? You’re the one who went on a Christmas rant.

I give up. You win. Congrats.

And you’re still tagging me… why lol? You’re the one who went on a Christmas rant.

I give up. You win. Congrats.
If you want to call it tagging, ok. BUT we are doing it to each other. Seems you are triggered. YOU responded to something I said to someone else. Got ya.

If you want to call it tagging, ok. BUT we are doing it to each other. Seems you are triggered. YOU responded to something I said to someone else. Got ya.
You’re the one who was triggered that not everyone celebrated Christmas.

Living in Hoboken, JC these days is certainly not like living in Hudson County when I was young.Hoboken is a very clean safe city compared to places like Williamsburg in the city. I'd rather have my grandkids in Hoboken than NYC. What a turn around from when I drank underage across the street from the old docks in Hoboken--- you didnt even need fake IDs

JC is a typical NJ city.....high crime, awful public schools. The only people moving there are those that can't afford NYC (and of course, they are only interested in the few gentrified blocks were semi-rich people kicked out the poor and middle class).

At least JC did better than AP for families! It came in at the 497th best town/city to raise a family. LOL!

LOL

Higher rent than NYC

McNair and Infinity are two of the highest ranked high schools in NJ.

Horrible even for a notorious troll.

Reactions: Kbee3
How is the Heights section of Jersey City now

I knew several families that lived there many years ago. At that time it was safe

It had a mix of single family homes and small apartment buildings

Gentrifying, very safe, mostly people from Downtown JC and Hoboken looking for more bang for your buck.

There's no PATH train up there but it's a cheap uber to downtown/Hoboken or just an elevator ride if you live close enough to walk, so it's good if you work from home as you can more easily get a 2/3 BR to have an office.

That’s what’s going on in Greenville: the building that’s going up on Danforth/Blvd, the buildings that went up on Old Bergen/ Seaview (or Neptune), what’s about to be built next to the HBLR entrance at Danforth, etc.

There has been two “suspicious” fires in two old school apartment buildings across the street from each other on Lembeck and Ocean. The first one happend last year when “lightning struck” even though it wasn’t raining at the time, while residents of the other building swore that the fire was set because the new owners wanted to rehab everything.

I would be (pleasantly) surprised if anyone was looking to build nicer homes on Ocean...it's rare to read a crime story in JC that does not involve Ocean Ave in some way.

Though it's inevitable as begin to move west from the area around LSC.

Living in Hoboken, JC these days is certainly not like living in Hudson County when I was young.Hoboken is a very clean safe city compared to places like Williamsburg in the city. I'd rather have my grandkids in Hoboken than NYC. What a turn around from when I drank underage across the street from the old docks in Hoboken--- you didnt even need fake IDs

It has been safer/nicer here for many years versus BK. No NYC income tax either. Everything costs less and in my opinion, it's more fun, there's a better sense of community, and unless you really like LI it's easier to access pretty much the entire rest of the country.

8900 a month rent? What type of people rent these units?
As a realtor who lives in the “Soho West” section of Jersey City, an area that was nothing but run down warehouses 10 years ago but now has a high-rise amenity filled luxury apartment buildings, I can tell you who:

“Crazy Rich Asians.” Actually Asian companies rent A LOT of these units and use them for employees in assignment, transferring here, etc..

Rents began to skyrocket last June when the surge of people who left town early in the pandemic (mainly female), 2020 and 2021 grads, all hit the Hoboken and JC market at once (added to the surge from the city). It was complete insanity from June through October last year and rents jumped as much as 30% in some buildings.

As a realtor who lives in the “Soho West” section of Jersey City, an area that was nothing but run down warehouses 10 years ago but now has a high-rise amenity filled luxury apartment buildings, I can tell you who:

“Crazy Rich Asians.” Actually Asian companies rent A LOT of these units and use them for employees in assignment, transferring here, etc..

Do they include armed security?

LOL

Higher rent than NYC

McNair and Infinity are two of the highest ranked high schools in NJ.

Horrible even for a notorious troll.
And I'm not sure what raising children has to do with it. That only matters if you have kids and want to raise them in a very white, middle/upper middle class town. Personally, I find suburban towns mind-numbingly boring--Ed Koch was right, they are sterile--and rural areas comatose, nice to visit but terrible to live in.

I am also curious about the average rent number anyway. Is it being skewed buy a score of 20k+ rents or is that really the median? And I also assume it is the number based on available rentals and not all rents that are being paid in active contracts?
I know my son has a nice 2 BR in a newer building, nice views and amenities walkable to everything and he is under 4k. And as you drive up/down Kennedy etc- most of those multi family have got to be way under that.

I would be (pleasantly) surprised if anyone was looking to build nicer homes on Ocean...it's rare to read a crime story in JC that does not involve Ocean Ave in some way.

Though it's inevitable as begin to move west from the area around LSC.
Theyre rehabbing/ rehabbed old brownstone types on Grand St, north of Bramhall. Believe it or not, the area around the junction (Communipaw/Grand) is being built up slowly but surely.

Maybe Bramhall is the border for now as you are correct about everything South of that street on Ocean, MLK, or Bergen. But there are new buildings coming up on Garfield, Old Bergen Road, and definitely on the Blvd.

I am also curious about the average rent number anyway. Is it being skewed buy a score of 20k+ rents or is that really the median? And I also assume it is the number based on available rentals and not all rents that are being paid in active contracts?
I know my son has a nice 2 BR in a newer building, nice views and amenities walkable to everything and he is under 4k. And as you drive up/down Kennedy etc- most of those multi family have got to be way under that.
I'd imagine it has to be current asking prices since there's no way anyone can know what rents people are currently paying. And that certainly means the number can be inflated if a bunch of luxury units just became available. I think that dynamic skews a lot of the housing prices we hear about today. The median price of a home in an area might be through the roof but most people got their mortgages years or decades before and are not paying current prices for their houses. It's only new entrants that are paying exorbitant prices.

I'd imagine it has to be current asking prices since there's no way anyone can know what rents people are currently paying. And that certainly means the number can be inflated if a bunch of luxury units just became available. I think that dynamic skews a lot of the housing prices we hear about today. The median price of a home in an area might be through the roof but most people got their mortgages years or decades before and are not paying current prices for their houses. It's only new entrants that are paying exorbitant prices.
I remember they very quickly built up 5, 2 family houses on Claremont/West Side Aves in 2018, next to the Jersey City BOE and Light Rail. They wanted at least $3,000/ month for them.

I remember they very quickly built up 5, 2 family houses on Claremont/West Side Aves in 2018, next to the Jersey City BOE and Light Rail. They wanted at least $3,000/ month for them.
But whatever the number is obviously it must be high, which makes sense: view of the Manhattan skyline, close proximity to the jobs there and other attractions of the city. It was only a matter of time before the dilapidated, post-industrial wasteland of the New Jersey side of the Hudson River became some of the most valuable real estate in the world. If Philadelphia were more successful Camden would be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT