ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best Jersey Pizza

I know it's a NJ thread, but Old Forge, PA is the self proclaimed pizza capital of the world. Many little 1970's style bars with some different varieties of pizza. But the best is just outside Old Forge in Dupont. Cebula's pizza is unlike anything just about anybody here has ever had and it's my fav.

I know it's a NJ thread, but Old Forge, PA is the self proclaimed pizza capital of the world. Many little 1970's style bars with some different varieties of pizza. But the best is just outside Old Forge in Dupont. Cebula's pizza is unlike anything just about anybody here has ever had and it's my fav.

Scranton, PA area is the pizza capital of the world?

Tell us why.

Scranton, PA area is the pizza capital of the world?

Tell us why.

Not Scranton, Old Forge which his right next to Scranton. And as I said, I think it is self proclaimed. Funny thing, about 5ish years ago, Parade Magazine came out with the best pizza cities in America. Chicago, New York, maybe Philly, and...............Old Forge. They even referred to it as the pizza capital of the world. So it must be true. ;)

https://uncoveringpa.com/old-forge-pennsylvania-pizza

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav.../02/08/old-forge-pennsylvania-pizza/97592600/

Having moved out of Jersey over 40 years ago, these pizza threads get me sick. West of the Mississippi, there’s nothing even close to the pizza back home. When my dad was alive and lived in East Brunswick, Frank’s pizza there was pretty damn good.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Having moved out of Jersey over 40 years ago, these pizza threads get me sick. West of the Mississippi, there’s nothing even close to the pizza back home. When my dad was alive and lived in East Brunswick, Frank’s pizza there was pretty damn good.

As Bill Clinton would say, I feel your pain. Spent my working life in Md, and several places advertised New York-style pizza. Nope. The crust always was the key--the way it would kind of scrape across your teeth, and, of course, it invited you to fold it over. Not that there wasn't decent pizza in NY--and down here in Fla--but it is not the same.
TL

Star Tavern - over-rated thin
Landmark (Livingston) - under-rated thin
Fiamma's (Millburn and Montclair) has excellent pizza

Star Tavern - over-rated thin
Landmark (Livingston) - under-rated thin
Fiamma's (Millburn and Montclair) has excellent pizza
Went to Landmark for the first time last week and I was impressed. Definitely more of a "bar pie" and goes great with beer. Italia Pizza in Bloomfield is also very good. Bell Paese in Nutley has the most stereotypical Italian owners, straight out of an episode of Sopranos. They also have great pizza! Awesome homemade sauce!

Trenton style Tomato Pies will always be the best though. I'd put Delorenzo's or Papa's up against the "best" Brooklyn Pizza places in a blind taste test and I doubt they would lose.

This

We have very good pizza

It’s amaIng that when you leave our region, how bad the pizza gets quick, where finding good pizza IS truly a gem

Same with bagel/, by the way

When it comes to pizza outside of the NJ... you are doomed. (besides NYC of course)

Your best shot at a good pizza is being lucky enough that some other person from NJ happen to have moved there as well and open a Pizza Parlor so you can get some real pizza.

When it comes to pizza outside of the NJ... you are doomed. (besides NYC of course)

Your best shot at a good pizza is being lucky enough that some other person from NJ happen to have moved there as well and open a Pizza Parlor so you can get some real pizza.
Chicago has pretty good pizza also - albeit deep dish. Lou Malnati's is pretty tasty.

Re: some fares I'm a food snob and very discerning (bbq, wings) but I've probably had pizza from 100 different places in NJ and every single slice was delicious. Some well known places stated above also from a few s-hole, dirty strip mall places you'd think would be terrible. Can't speak about other states but IMO there's no best or worst here. Delicious every one.

They say we "eat with our eyes" and I believe it's atmosphere or reputation that you are actually grading above rather than the actual pizza.

makes me sick too...although just recently after 20 plus years found a couple legit places owned by guys who used to live in Jersey. Ohio pizza pretty much blows.

Look on the bright side. The worst pizza spot in NJ would be the best in Ca.

There is this pizza joint in Netcong that is slammin, forget the name but I've stopped in a few times the last few years.

Carmine's in Netcong....not bad.

I like Conte's in Princeton, Reservoir in South Orange, Star Tavern in Orange and Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey.....mostly thin crust.

BTW, on a side note why does Fastfood Pizza exist in NJ? I can only guess that little kids like it better, kind of how they like Mcdonald's instead of Five Guys, because they are little kids who don't know any better.

But why would adults buy fake pizza? It doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
BTW, on a side note why does Fastfood Pizza exist in NJ? I can only guess that little kids like it better, kind of how they like Mcdonald's instead of Five Guys, because they are little kids who don't know any better.

About as much sense as going to Subway or Jersey Mike's around here.

Reactions: Scarlet_Scourge

I have the answer. I love real pizza but with the price of pizza rising to $18-19 for 2 topping pizza, some families don’t feel it’s worth it. Dominos improved their pizza and it’s like 80-85% like a real pizza with 3 topping costing $7.99.
I sometimes buy Dominos when you look at the price.

Hey, I even recently started shopping at JC Penney and Walmart. I love it when I get a bargain. It only took me 60 years before I started shopping at these stores.

Not exactly an answer to this question, but I'll never forget maybe around 20 years ago going to a McDonald's in Maine and I was shocked that they actually sold pizza! I had to try it and ate the whole thing, so it must not have been that bad at the time or I was really hungry. I never saw it again at another McDonald's after that.

About as much sense as going to Subway or Jersey Mike's around here.

People in SW FL think Jersey Mike’s makes high end subs. The local Publix even makes better subs than Jersey Mike’s. Mostly a wasteland around here for subs.

Just saying pizza parlor away from NJ will probably get you some odd looks.

as will "plain pizza". they think you want just sauce on dough or something. gotta say "cheese pizza," which is just redundant

Reactions: RUnTeX
I have the answer. I love real pizza but with the price of pizza rising to $18-19 for 2 topping pizza, some families don’t feel it’s worth it. Dominos improved their pizza and it’s like 80-85% like a real pizza with 3 topping costing $7.99.
I sometimes buy Dominos when you look at the price.

Hey, I even recently started shopping at JC Penney and Walmart. I love it when I get a bargain. It only took me 60 years before I started shopping at these stores.

You can find real pizza for less than $18 for two toppings.

It depends where you go I suppose. But, taste of fastfood pizza make sit not worth the price even at $7.99 or even $.99 or free.

The NY Times said the best NY pizza might be at Razza in Jersey City. I don't recall anyone mentioning that place in this thread. I haven't tried it but looks good and run by a Rutgers grad.

If/when I build a pizza oven in my backyard, hopefully I will then be making the best pie in NJ.

Reactions: cicero grimes
makes me sick too...although just recently after 20 plus years found a couple legit places owned by guys who used to live in Jersey. Ohio pizza pretty much blows.
Worst pizza I ever had was in Cleveland. Even the pizza from Tillett Dining Hall blew it away.

Reactions: RUinOhio
ADVERTISEMENT