ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jersey Shore economy affected by J-1 Visa

I remember a couple of summer's ago a Ukrainian girl that worked at Jenkinson's was partying on the beach with other workers after closing and went swimming with a couple others and drowned. Got caught in a rip and they found her body at daybreak. Very sad.

When we stayed in Cape May, most were Eastern European. Very few Russians. Last year those from EU were prohibited by Covid protocols so it was only the non-EU eastern countries. They have provided the backbone of the workers for a long time. Room and board provided but they net very little from their paychecks.

Did you even read the article? The more educated a person is, the more likely they are voting Democrat.

Democrats lead by 22 points (57%-35%) in leaned party identification among adults with post-graduate degrees. The Democrats’ edge is narrower among those with college degrees or some post-graduate experience (49%-42%), and those with less education (47%-39%). Across all educational categories, women are more likely than men to affiliate with the Democratic Party or lean Democratic. The Democrats’ advantage is 35 points (64%-29%) among women with post-graduate degrees, but only eight points (50%-42%) among post-grad men.

Didn't need to read this article. Just had to look at the board and realize who has a RU degree and who doesn't, and the few who do who only got in through mommy and daddy.

Why haven't you changed your avatar to a Ukrainian flag like the dolts on Twitter?

You showed him! How dare people have sympathy towards people who have their country invaded for no reason by an evil murderer.

And you dare call anyone else indoctrinated?

Putting a Ukrainian flag in your avatar is showing sympathy to the people of Ukraine?

laugh-mock.gif

How about actually doing something real?
448tex.jpg

Plenty of workers on the Seaside Heights boardwalk in the past have been J1 workers..Almost every business in town took pretty big hits past 2 years without them. Most had to change their working hours. I hire all the Lifeguards for the Borough (not j1 workers) and We have been starting to have problems getting enough guards to fill positions. 10-20 years ago there was a line of young men and woman looking to have a chance to work on the beach everyday. We offer a great starting pay ($16/hour) pay OT and have been giving out bonuses for guards that work the season and we still are having a tough time filling all spots. Every beach in NJ is in the same boat. When I 1st started guarding (1986) there were 3 openings and over 400 applicants for those spots. It just amazes me that most kids don't want to get in great shape, get paid to workout, get a great tan and look at good looking darlings or guys most days. Also making a rescue and saving someone's life is one of the best feelings you can have. Now we have Doctors, lawyers, and other professionals come back and work 1 or 2 days a week just to be able to open all beaches.

Last edited:
Plenty of workers on the Seaside Heights boardwalk in the past have been J1 workers..Almost every business in town took pretty big hits past 2 years without them. Most had to change their working hours. I hire all the Lifeguards for the Borough (not j1 workers) and We have been starting to have problems getting enough guards to fill positions. 10-20 years ago there was a line of young men and woman looking to have a chance to work on the beach everyday. We offer a great starting pay ($16/hour) pay OT and have been giving out bonuses for guards that work the season and we still are having a tough time filling all spots. Every beach in NJ is in the same boat. When I 1st started guarding (1986) there were 3 openings and over 400 applicants for those spots. It just amazes me that most kids don't want to get in great shape, work out for free, get a great tan and look at good looking darlings or guys all day. Also making a rescue and saving someone's life is one of the best feelings you can have. Now we have Doctors, lawyers, teachers and other professionals come back and work 1 or 2 days a week just to be able to open all beaches.
Is rutgersal among those lawyers, doctors, teachers and other professionals? 😜

Is rutgersal among those lawyers, doctors, teachers and other professionals? 😜
No..We would have to put AL on the Bay beach if he worked for us! Just Old ladys and little kids. Although we could probably get Al to pay us to "Sit The Wood" on the Ocean! Can RutgersAl swim??

Last edited:
Poll - Just look at any New Jersey presidential election result.
LOL. That's not how it works. But I'll play.

1980, 1984, and 1988 say hello.

I was only slightly off. 37% of voters in NJ are unaffiliated with a party, slightly behind registered Democrats. Many more people lately consider themselves as not registered to either party, for good reason.

Plenty of workers on the Seaside Heights boardwalk in the past have been J1 workers..Almost every business in town took pretty big hits past 2 years without them. Most had to change their working hours. I hire all the Lifeguards for the Borough (not j1 workers) and We have been starting to have problems getting enough guards to fill positions. 10-20 years ago there was a line of young men and woman looking to have a chance to work on the beach everyday. We offer a great starting pay ($16/hour) pay OT and have been giving out bonuses for guards that work the season and we still are having a tough time filling all spots. Every beach in NJ is in the same boat. When I 1st started guarding (1986) there were 3 openings and over 400 applicants for those spots. It just amazes me that most kids don't want to get in great shape, get paid to workout, get a great tan and look at good looking darlings or guys most days. Also making a rescue and saving someone's life is one of the best feelings you can have. Now we have Doctors, lawyers, and other professionals come back and work 1 or 2 days a week just to be able to open all beaches.

Pretty significant labor shortage across the entire tourism and leisure industry. It's been a constant story in the ski industry all winter, too.

Reactions: Section124
LOL. That's not how it works. But I'll play.

1980, 1984, and 1988 say hello.

I was only slightly off. 37% of voters in NJ are unaffiliated with a party, slightly behind registered Democrats. Many more people lately consider themselves as not registered to either party, for good reason.

1988? Seriously?

1988? Seriously?
Yes. George H.W. Bush won 56.24% to 42.60%. I'm just answering your query about any presidential election. Surely, you are not counting elections that involved the orange man, who was polarizing and divisive. Many Rs voted against him, and not necessarily "for" the other guy.

Why not use party affiliation, which is what I originally referred to? Temporal voting patterns are a bad surrogate for party affiliation.

Yes. George H.W. Bush won 56.24% to 42.60%. I'm just answering your query about any presidential election. Surely, you are not counting elections that involved the orange man, who was polarizing and divisive. Many Rs voted against him, and not necessarily "for" the other guy.

Why not use party affiliation, which is what I originally referred to? Temporal voting patterns are a bad surrogate for party affiliation.

Okay, I'm done on this. You can rely on 1988 data if you like.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
It cheaper for the businesses to hire these kids. They are lucky if they make $2-3 an hour. They sell them on getting the American experience. They will buy up cheap apartments and take the rent directly out of their paycheck. A person may have $200 a week taken out of their paycheck to share a bedroom with 3 other people. The rent is much higher than going rate but they don’t know any better. They promise them a few field trips to see America. In the end they work a ton of hours and make very little.
That’s few and far between. I know a few people here in town that hire for the summer and it’s all done through an agency It’s up to them to find their own place to live but they are getting paid $13-15 an hour to work a stand on the boardwalk

My neighbor has a couple people that have worked his place on the boardwalk for over 7 years now so they must be making money

Last edited:
Lol "visas"

Just had 2 million plus break-in last year, and 170K+ are already at the border (might be 400K quickly) and ready to blow over and catch a gov plane. Russians and Ukrainians already crossing,

Lol "visas"

Just had 2 million plus break-in last year, and 170K+ are already at the border (might be 400K quickly) and ready to blow over and catch a gov plane. Russians and Ukrainians already crossing,

Let the Uk's in. Shoot the commies at the border.

Way out of step with whom? You got a poll to support that? I got news for you. Most people identify as independents due to the increasing idiocy of the extremes on both sides and the narratives forced by their "news" (actually narrative) channels.
Now you are playing mildone's game of claiming the middle ground. One side is much worse than the other with a much larger percentage of their affiliated persons taking extreme positions (compared to the norm that you can see through American history).

No..We would have to put AL on the Bay beach if he worked for us! Just Old ladys and little kids. Although we could probably get Al to pay us to "Sit The Wood" on the Ocean! Can RutgersAl swim??
I'm sure he would issue a upset alert on which guard would get to the distressed swimmer first

Lol "visas"

Yup let's protect everyone else's border, but allow future illegal voters to come in. It's forking hypocritical and sickening

Putting a Ukrainian flag in your avatar is showing sympathy to the people of Ukraine?

laugh-mock.gif

How about actually doing something real?
448tex.jpg

Signaling seems to be a personal problem for you.

So many people are advocating for Ukranians to come here for example which is a beautiful thing.

Now you are playing mildone's game of claiming the middle ground. One side is much worse than the other with a much larger percentage of their affiliated persons taking extreme positions (compared to the norm that you can see through American history).
I don't play such games. As to your second point. . .

jennifer-lawrence-j-law.gif

Michael said it best, as it pertains to "both":
2a3260b6-df48-4f5d-8227-42267be68444_text.gif

Didn't need to read this article. Just had to look at the board and realize who has a RU degree and who doesn't, and the few who do who only got in through mommy and daddy.
This coming from a guy who said anyone who doubted Jussie Smollet owes him an apology. But yea Rutgers got the best and the brightest when they accepted you..

Last edited:
This coming from a guy who said we all owe Jussie Smollet an apology. But yea Rutgers got the best and the brightest when they accepted you..

Well glad you acknowledge who wasn't accepted.

Isn't there a felon banned from Twitter taking the fifth somewhere that needs defending?

Or the giant L you took last November? Or the giant L the November before?

I don't blame you for not understanding the appeals process. Brookdale doesn't have a course on that I bet.

Well glad you acknowledge who wasn't accepted.

Isn't there a felon banned from Twitter taking the fifth somewhere that needs defending?

Or the giant L you took last November? Or the giant L the November before?

I don't blame you for not understanding the appeals process. Brookdale doesn't have a course on that I bet.
Hey, take this to that cesspool CE board.

Well NJ did vote for George McClellan over Abraham Lincoln in 1864.
Keep in mind, my reply was to his query about "ANY New Jersey presidential election result," so my answer was responsive to his point. If I had the time, I would do a historical retrospective going back to our first presidential election. If the question had been the last few presidential elections, the response would have been different (or nonexistent).

But to the original point, while doing something completely unrelated, I stumbled upon this about the town of Nutley, NJ, which supports my point in that a large number of people are not affiliated with a particular party, and the results from the Nutley, NJ Wikipedia page show that Nutley has voted differently, depending on the candidates, and likely not due to party affiliation?

Nutley was interesting because of the large number of unaffiliated voters. When one filters out the cities that lean heavily Democratic, and the wealthier areas such as parts of Monmouth, Ocean, Warren, and Hunterdon (and probably missing few) counties, it is likely that many places in NJ are like Nutley.

It's only on social media where people are hyperpolitical that these arguments/debates ensue.

"As of March 23, 2011, there were a total of 18,833 registered voters in Nutley, of which 5,737 (30.5%) were registered as Democrats, 3,753 (19.9%) were registered as Republicans and 9,327 (49.5%) were registered as Unaffiliated. There were 142 voters registered to other parties.[93]

In the 2016 presidential election, Republican Donald Trump received 49.9% (7,061 votes), edging out Democrat Hillary Clinton with 46.9% (6,634 votes).[94] In the 2012 presidential election, incumbent Democrat Barack Obama received 50.33% of the vote (6,507 votes), ahead of Republican Mitt Romney with 48.52% (6,273 votes) and other candidates with 1.14% (148 votes), among the 12,928 ballots cast by the township's 19,623 registered voters, for a turnout of 65.88%.[95][96] In the 2008 presidential election, Republican John McCain received 52.4% of the vote (7,325 cast), ahead of Democrat Barack Obama with 45.6% (6,374 votes) and other candidates with 1.2% (163 votes), among the 13,985 ballots cast by the township's 18,853 registered voters, for a turnout of 74.2%.[97] In the 2004 presidential election, Republican George W. Bush received 54.5% of the vote (7,579 ballots cast), outpolling Democrat John Kerry with 43.8% (6,099 votes) and other candidates with 0.6% (106 votes), among the 13,914 ballots cast by the township's 18,087 registered voters, for a turnout percentage of 76.9."

Keep in mind, my reply was to his query about "ANY New Jersey presidential election result," so my answer was responsive to his point. If I had the time, I would do a historical retrospective going back to our first presidential election. If the question had been the last few presidential elections, the response would have been different (or nonexistent).

But to the original point, while doing something completely unrelated, I stumbled upon this about the town of Nutley, NJ, which supports my point in that a large number of people are not affiliated with a particular party, and the results from the Nutley, NJ Wikipedia page show that Nutley has voted differently, depending on the candidates, and likely not due to party affiliation?

Nutley was interesting because of the large number of unaffiliated voters. When one filters out the cities that lean heavily Democratic, and the wealthier areas such as parts of Monmouth, Ocean, Warren, and Hunterdon (and probably missing few) counties, it is likely that many places in NJ are like Nutley.

It's only on social media where people are hyperpolitical that these arguments/debates ensue.

"As of March 23, 2011, there were a total of 18,833 registered voters in Nutley, of which 5,737 (30.5%) were registered as Democrats, 3,753 (19.9%) were registered as Republicans and 9,327 (49.5%) were registered as Unaffiliated. There were 142 voters registered to other parties.[93]

In the 2016 presidential election, Republican Donald Trump received 49.9% (7,061 votes), edging out Democrat Hillary Clinton with 46.9% (6,634 votes).[94] In the 2012 presidential election, incumbent Democrat Barack Obama received 50.33% of the vote (6,507 votes), ahead of Republican Mitt Romney with 48.52% (6,273 votes) and other candidates with 1.14% (148 votes), among the 12,928 ballots cast by the township's 19,623 registered voters, for a turnout of 65.88%.[95][96] In the 2008 presidential election, Republican John McCain received 52.4% of the vote (7,325 cast), ahead of Democrat Barack Obama with 45.6% (6,374 votes) and other candidates with 1.2% (163 votes), among the 13,985 ballots cast by the township's 18,853 registered voters, for a turnout of 74.2%.[97] In the 2004 presidential election, Republican George W. Bush received 54.5% of the vote (7,579 ballots cast), outpolling Democrat John Kerry with 43.8% (6,099 votes) and other candidates with 0.6% (106 votes), among the 13,914 ballots cast by the township's 18,087 registered voters, for a turnout percentage of 76.9."

“Butley”

heh heh heh heh

Born and raised in Nutley! No, I do not know Martha. Haha

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT