ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jersey Shore

jtung230

Heisman Winner
Jun 30, 2005
wow, great job on the replenishment. It looks completely different now. Last year, the beach was the smallest i’ve seen it in years. This will help prices for home owners.

Snookie stormed off the set. Mikey The Sitch is still in the joint.

As to the OP, I always have mixed feelings on beach replenishment. NJ's development of the barrier islands is vastly overdone.

In LBI all the sand goes from the southern island to Barnegat Light....beach replenishment while essential for tourism i get it but in reality is a waste of tax $$...if the seas are indeed rising then it will all disappear anyway eventually

I spend a lot of time at Island Beach State Park, although none between Memorial Day and Labor Day. They did a lot of work bringing in a lot of sand,raising the height of the dunes, and plantings during the late part of Winter. By the way, it is VERY cool when you are walking there to stumble upon seals just hanging out during the Winter. Doesn’t happen every day, but even if you only see them once a Winter, it is a great sight.

Snookie stormed off the set. Mikey The Sitch is still in the joint.

As to the OP, I always have mixed feelings on beach replenishment. NJ's development of the barrier islands is vastly overdone.

Exactly. It's a Band-Aid, nothing more.

In LBI all the sand goes from the southern island to Barnegat Light....beach replenishment while essential for tourism i get it but in reality is a waste of tax $$...if the seas are indeed rising then it will all disappear anyway eventually

Yep, the littoral drift is south to north depositing sand on the south side of jetties and scouring it away from the north side. You can see this on any beach with a jetty. Sand on the south side near the end of the jetty with much less sand in the pocket on the Nortn side.

PS since they built the new south jetty at the Barnegat inlet the beaches at the north end of Barnegat Light are some of the widest, and the dunes some of the highest in the state. The Oceanside homes were untouched by Sandy while homes north and south were devastated.

The shore is back. First time since Sandy I didn’t see a house that still needed to be knocked down. Plenty of new houses are sitting on empty lots from last year.

I spend a lot of time at Island Beach State Park, although none between Memorial Day and Labor Day. They did a lot of work bringing in a lot of sand,raising the height of the dunes, and plantings during the late part of Winter. By the way, it is VERY cool when you are walking there to stumble upon seals just hanging out during the Winter. Doesn’t happen every day, but even if you only see them once a Winter, it is a great sight.

Island Beach State Park is THE BEST beach in NJ, hands down. It amazes me how so few people in NJ have ever heard of it. Where else in NJ can you go to the beach in July and have a half mile section of beach to share with a handful of people? The little parking lots past the main lots are a treasure since they only allow for parking of 8 or so cars and they are spread out pretty far which limits the number of people who can use that section of beach.

Island Beach State Park is THE BEST beach in NJ, hands down. It amazes me how so few people in NJ have ever heard of it. Where else in NJ can you go to the beach in July and have a half mile section of beach to share with a handful of people? The little parking lots past the main lots are a treasure since they only allow for parking of 8 or so cars and they are spread out pretty far which limits the number of people who can use that section of beach.
I haven't been there in years! Always liked it though. Why do I vaguely remember warning signs about foxes? This was 20 years ago lol

Last edited:
I love the beaches in September. They're not over crowded and the weather is still beautiful.

Reactions: Abro1975
Yeah, definitely recall seeing some foxes when biking through Island Beach State Park in the fall a few years back. Beautiful place in the early fall for exploring.

Reactions: newell138
It was both. Dunes were created and beaches were extended a minimum of 200 feet.

The study involved extensive engineering, environmental, and economic analyses and recommended the construction of a dune and berm system with the intent of reducing impacts from coastal erosion and storms.

The sand "placement" as they like to call it is a byproduct of dune construction and for protection of the new dunes as right now they offer little real protection as they have no vegetation.

But yes there will be periodically "periodic nourishment" over the next 50 years. This is different than just adding sand to the beach to make it bigger.

https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Manasquan-Inlet-to-Barnegat-Inlet/

The study involved extensive engineering, environmental, and economic analyses and recommended the construction of a dune and berm system with the intent of reducing impacts from coastal erosion and storms.

The sand "placement" as they like to call it is a byproduct of dune construction and for protection of the new dunes as right now they offer little real protection as they have no vegetation.

But yes there will be periodically "periodic nourishment" over the next 50 years. This is different than just adding sand to the beach to make it bigger.

https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Manasquan-Inlet-to-Barnegat-Inlet/

Good article. They have planted seagrass on the dunes in SSH. Granted it is not mature yet but hopefully in the future it provides protection. the dunes in SSP and midway beach really helped those guys out during Sand .

Our tax dollars at work restoring dunes on private beach communities that have no local parking for the general public to access. A lot of the dune restoration benefits wealthy beach communities where the public does not have real access to the beaches due to parking restrictions.

Our tax dollars at work restoring dunes on private beach communities that have no local parking for the general public to access. A lot of the dune restoration benefits wealthy beach communities where the public does not have real access to the beaches due to parking restrictions.

Seaside has pulic parking all over town. There is actually free parking on the bay side if you dont want to feed the meter or pay for a spot in a lot.

Lavallette has free street parking in the entire town. So does most all, if not all, that are covered by this project. Haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Lavallette has free street parking in the entire town. So does most all, if not all, that are covered by this project. Haven't a clue what you are talking about.

I was just there this weekend. There is very limited parking, most of which is several blocks from the actual beaches. You'd have to lug your stuff several blocks to the beach. My cousin lives in one of the Lavallette beach communities. Because only local residents access,his local beach, it did not even have someone at the access points checking for badges. My cousin knew virtually everyone on the beach.

Plenty of free parking in Seaside. For $50 a year, you can get a pass for Island Beach. That is for the car, so it doesn’t matter how many people are in the car. If you can put 20 people in a Pacer, go for it.

I was just there this weekend. There is very limited parking, most of which is several blocks from the actual beaches. You'd have to lug your stuff several blocks to the beach. My cousin lives in one of the Lavallette beach communities. Because only local residents access,his local beach, it did not even have someone at the access points checking for badges. My cousin knew virtually everyone on the beach.
I lived in Lavallette. It's 99% street parking and it's free. First come first served. There is no local resident access in Lavallette. Anyone can get a badge and anyone can access the beach. The badge gets you on the beach not where you live.

ADVERTISEMENT