ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jimbo Fisher to A&M

I think Taggart is clearly their #1 choice. Will be interesting to see what FSU does if Oregon is able to keep Taggert in the Pacific NW.

I know that we are in the middle of a major re-build, but stability doesn't feel too bad right now.

Reactions: 17Q66
I personally do not see Fisher as an upgrade to Sumlin at A&M. At best it is a wash.

Riiiiiight a guy that won a natty and is 80-22 at fsu is not an upgrade over a guy that could simply not win games at home or in Nov...I liked Sumlin but he simply could not cut it for his HUGE salary...at RU his record would merit a street name and a small parade...

That makes sense!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mr Magoo
I personally do not see Fisher as an upgrade to Sumlin at A&M. At best it is a wash.
It's all about going out and getting a new toy with these high profile programs. The problem is that so many of them and their boosters are wired this way and you get a year like this one where there are so many vacancies that the talent pool gets deleted where you are either recycling or trading similar candidates or hiring guys who are still pretty unproven.

I believe Oregon offered Taggart a 5 year deal worth a little more than 20M. He hasn't accepted yet which leads me to believe he's been waiting on what happened with Fisher/FSU/A&M.

His buyout at Oregon is 4.5M but I believe Fisher's buyout is around 7M. So FSU can use part of that to pay Taggart's buyout if he's their man.

Sounds like the A&M AD knows how to get his man.

Mark Schlabach‏Verified account@Mark_Schlabach 4m4 minutes ago
Mark Schlabach Retweeted Dave Wilson

Texas A&M AD Scott Woodward pried Jimbo Fisher away from FSU when LSU and Texas couldn't, and he plucked Chris Petersen out of Boise State when no one else could. As one coach Woodward previously worked with told me last night, "He don't give a s***.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Paying attention if only because it’s more competition for UTenn with whatever “available” Coach is next in line.

Available in quotes because it’s not just coaches out of work, but anyone looking to make a move.

Riiiiiight a guy that won a natty and is 80-22 at fsu is not an upgrade over a guy that could simply not win games at home or in Nov...I liked Sumlin but he simply could not cut it for his HUGE salary...at RU his record would merit a street name and a small parade...

That makes sense!
FSU was great before Fisher got there. A&M has no where near the current history(last 40 years) that FSU has. No way Fisher has any where near an 80-22 record if Bobby Bowden didn't set the table for him. Sumlin had none of that at A&M.

Sounds like the A&M AD knows how to get his man.

Mark Schlabach‏Verified account@Mark_Schlabach 4m4 minutes ago
Mark Schlabach Retweeted Dave Wilson

Texas A&M AD Scott Woodward pried Jimbo Fisher away from FSU when LSU and Texas couldn't, and he plucked Chris Petersen out of Boise State when no one else could. As one coach Woodward previously worked with told me last night, "He don't give a s***.

Considering the parade of Currie like men A&M has has as AD...it is frankly refreshing! If A&M wants to keep portraying itself as no longer little brother to the castrated bovines and the assholes in Austin, it needs to make noise in the SEC. it is also part of the reason that rivalry cannot resume as a regular season game. The steers themselves have said...their only rivalry game is never at home. Other than pretty much telling Baylor, tcu and Texas tech that they DONT matter, it makes it sound like they need the A&M home game...to that I say **** off steers!

FSU was great before Fisher got there. A&M has no where near the current history(last 40 years) that FSU has. No way Fisher has any where near an 80-22 record if Bobby Bowden didn't set the table for him. Sumlin had none of that at A&M.

History is irrelevant in this argument...A&M has better facilities and as good or better recruiting grounds PERIOD (even before the Kyle field Reno)...fisher thrived while Sumlin was just mediocre...that in the end, is all that matters.

Now the pressure is really on...first game for Fisher? Clemson...

History is irrelevant in this argument...A&M has better facilities and as good or better recruiting grounds PERIOD (even before the Kyle field Reno)...fisher thrived while Sumlin was just mediocre...that in the end, is all that matters.

Now the pressure is really on...first game for Fisher? Clemson...
Clemson/Alabama are 2 of the first 4 games next year.

Paying attention if only because it’s more competition for UTenn with whatever “available” Coach is next in line.

Available in quotes because it’s not just coaches out of work, but anyone looking to make a move.

Doubt FSU will be dipping as low as Tenn must now. No competition there!

He's a good coach. Worth 7M+ well that's questionable because to me that's Saban air but these days everything is getting closer to Saban air.

But as to taking over a good strong program well there are lots of good strong programs and the coaches that take over them don't always do well. Look at Hoke at Michigan or Jones at Tenn and there are many others. Plus if you look, the tail end of Bowden's career at FSU wasn't so hot but it was revived again under Fisher. So he definitely did a good job at FSU.

That being said I always say just because you did well at one place doesn't necessarily mean you'll do well at another. A handful of coaches can do it almost anywhere, is Fisher one of them? Well we'll see.

Probably No competition. FSU will probably hire a minority coach and Tenn probably will not.

Someone tell me why Taggart is such a desirable coach.
I was never impressed with USF while he was there.
He's an excellent coach. At Western Kentucky he walked into a bad situation and went
2-10
7-5
7-5

At USF he walked into a bad situation and went
2-10
4-8
8-5
10-2

Oregon in 2016 went 4-8 and he went 7-5 this year.

Plus he's African American which like it or not matters to some families.

I some RU fans are afraid to admit a guy who goes 2-10 might end up being a good coach. lol

He's an excellent coach. At Western Kentucky he walked into a bad situation and went
2-10
7-5
7-5

2-10
4-8
8-5
10-2

I some RU fans are afraid to admit a guy who goes 2-10 might end up being a good coach. lol
He's a solid choice. He's going to have big shoes to fill though. I think Oregon's starting qb went down some time during the season so that contributed to some of the losses. I think he came back somewhere in tail end of the season.

2-10
7-5
7-5

2-10
4-8
8-5
10-2

If Ash emulates that record from USF, there'd be a lot of RU fans peeing themselves in happiness. And more than a few being put on a crow-diet.

Make it so.

Reactions: BLewis1968
He's a solid choice. He's going to have big shoes to fill though. I think Oregon's starting qb went down some time during the season so that contributed to some of the losses. I think he came back somewhere in tail end of the season.

Wouldn't he get the nod over Strong based on the fact that the USF team that Strong did well with this year was essentially built by Taggart? Charlie Strong has been a pretty volatile value in the coach investment market. Probably on the upswing but maybe better off just staying and maintaining USF at a high level since he is very comfortable recruiting the area.

ADVERTISEMENT