ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Joey Bosa

Chargers are a horribly run franchise. But, there are a whole lot worse places to be stuck for a couple years than San Diego.

Lets say a guy gets drafted by Cleveland, has no desire to play, live in Cleveland, what are his choices? I remember Eli and Elway, what happens now?

Guy is throwing away a lot of money. Won't be drafted anywhere near as high next year.

Did any of you blasting Bosa actually read the article? He's getting screwed. Anything else is just Bosa hate, he just wants what previous #3 drafts have gotten, he's not asking for more, just the same. Some key points from the article:

• Bosa is owed $25 million. That’s what No. 3 overall picks get paid. Bosa can’t negotiate for more, and the Chargers aren’t getting out of paying that much.
  • The Chargers want to include offset language in the contract. Offset language would allow the team to not pay Bosa in the fifth year of his contract, should he be cut before then. Without the offset language, the Chargers could be on the hook for paying Bosa while another team signs him.
  • The Chargers want to break up Bosa’s signing bonus, which is worth roughly $17 million of the $25 million Bosa is going to be paid by San Diego.
  • Since the new CBA has been ratified, there has not been a No. 3 overall pick whose contract included both offset language and a split signing bonus.
Here’s the only question that needs to be answered: Why should Bosa take a deal that no player in his position — the third overall pick — has ever accepted? Why should he be the only one who has to give the team that picked him two wins in contract negotiations?

The Chargers have the money, yet they have a track record of strong-arming rookies to save a few bucks. Good for Bosa for standing up to them. He can take this thing all the way into 2017. Sure, he’ll take a big PR hit, but there always will be thousands, if not millions, of fans who think that NFL players should play for free and don’t seem to get the concept of market value.

His career could end at any moment, If I was him I would do the same, you need to maximize your earnings while you can.

Did any of you blasting Bosa actually read the article? He's getting screwed. Anything else is just Bosa hate, he just wants what previous #3 drafts have gotten, he's not asking for more, just the same. Some key points from the article:

• Bosa is owed $25 million. That’s what No. 3 overall picks get paid. Bosa can’t negotiate for more, and the Chargers aren’t getting out of paying that much.
  • The Chargers want to include offset language in the contract. Offset language would allow the team to not pay Bosa in the fifth year of his contract, should he be cut before then. Without the offset language, the Chargers could be on the hook for paying Bosa while another team signs him.
  • The Chargers want to break up Bosa’s signing bonus, which is worth roughly $17 million of the $25 million Bosa is going to be paid by San Diego.
  • Since the new CBA has been ratified, there has not been a No. 3 overall pick whose contract included both offset language and a split signing bonus.
Here’s the only question that needs to be answered: Why should Bosa take a deal that no player in his position — the third overall pick — has ever accepted? Why should he be the only one who has to give the team that picked him two wins in contract negotiations?

The Chargers have the money, yet they have a track record of strong-arming rookies to save a few bucks. Good for Bosa for standing up to them. He can take this thing all the way into 2017. Sure, he’ll take a big PR hit, but there always will be thousands, if not millions, of fans who think that NFL players should play for free and don’t seem to get the concept of market value.

His career could end at any moment, If I was him I would do the same, you need to maximize your earnings while you can.
Yeah but it's business. If he wants to take the risk he can slot into next years draft and see if he still goes #3 overall. It's really not too much to ask that he doesn't double dip on his salary is it? And the partial bonus deferral is like 6 months if I understand correctly. Don't begrudge these guys getting paid because I think the NFL owners in general are greedy bastards but he seems to be a bit of a primma donna here.

Oh and if I recall this correctly this is the guy that responded to a heckling fan that he was going to be retired at 35 while that guy was going to still be paying student loans.

So you "maximize" earnings by sitting out a year, not getting paid anything, and starting next year with a smaller rookie contract after you are re-drafted in a worse position? That's OSU logic for you!

Make as much money as possible while you can. Bank as much as possible. If you're done at 29 years old take all your money and divide that money by 60. If your married and your wife is not working you may be f$&@;:.

All things considered, I think it is pretty damn hard for the common man, or women, to feel sorry or someone who is not happy with a $17 million dollar bonus for simply signing his name to a piece of paper.

Reactions: dvb91
The guy is turning down 17 million guaranteed money???
What is the difference if he gets it all upfront or some of it 6 months down the line - the Chargers have to pay him that money within 6 months regardless - all these rookies get paid crap for the first 3 or 4 years - around a million a year.

If he is any good in year 3 or 4 - his agent is going to renegotiate his contract for big bucks anyway.

He won't be the number 3 draft pick next year if he sits out this year and wont get anywhere near the 17 million signing bonus.

His old man - John Bosa out of BC pulled the same stunt against Don Shula in the 80's held out 41 days and he was a bust in the NFL.

If the Chargers would just treat him the way every other team in the league treats a #3 pick I seriously doubt there would be a problem here.

Placing the blame for this on Bosa is off base IMO. The issue is that the Chargers are a-holes negotiating against Bosa's value after sitting out a year instead of just giving him the deal he deserves as the number 3 pick.

If I'm a sports agent representing a high draft pick in line to be drafted by the Chargers I'm advising him to pull an Eli Manning after this stunt.

Boss is not getting screwed. He would've received the deferred signing bonus money in March 2017. So he waits six months foe the rest of that money. Assuming it is still guaranteed, that should not be a big deal.

The language about not being guaranteed his 5th year money if the Chargers cut him: I can see his point there but he is going to cost himself way more in total earnings by sitting out a season (if he does that) and going back into the draft. I can't see him as a top 5 pick if he sits out a full year. Lower pick = lower pay and less time left before his prime days are over.

Really don't understand how the Chargers feel this is in their best interests long term. Eli Manning told them in no uncertain terms that he wouldn't sign if they drafted him - and the CBA was supposed to address that. After this? I can imagine future #1-5 draft picks may tell them the same thing.

They're harpooning their negotiations for the future by negotiating in bad faith today. Don't think agents aren't paying attention to this and gearing up for future negotiations.

If the Chargers would just treat him the way every other team in the league treats a #3 pick I seriously doubt there would be a problem here.

Placing the blame for this on Bosa is off base IMO. The issue is that the Chargers are a-holes negotiating against Bosa's value after sitting out a year instead of just giving him the deal he deserves as the number 3 pick.

If I'm a sports agent representing a high draft pick in line to be drafted by the Chargers I'm advising him to pull an Eli Manning after this stunt.
The 2nd and 4th overall draft choice this year have the same exact language in their contracts. Bosa is the problem.

The 2nd and 4th overall draft choice this year have the same exact language in their contracts. Bosa is the problem.

#2 Wentz has offset language, and defers $1M (6%) of his $17.6M signing bonus to Jan 2017.
#4 Elliott has offset language and defers $5.8M (36%) of his $16.3M signing bonus to 2017
#5 Ramsey has no offset and defers $2.5M (25%) of his $10.1M signing bonus to 2017
#6 Stanley has offset language and defers $1.6M (11%) of his $15.1M signing bonus to 2017
#7 Buckner has offset language and defers none of his $11.4M signing bonus

Chargers are offering Bosa offset language and a ~50% deferment of his $17M signing bonus to 2017.

Apparently, too, none of picks 1-4 from 2012-2015 had both an offset and deferred signing bonus in their contract language.

So, it's not the exact same language, the Chargers really are coming in a bit low on Bosa compared to prior and current season contracts, and the Chargers are trying to set a precedent that pushes the market downward for future picks.

The last time the Chargers had a Top 10 pick, it was Eli Manning, who told them flat out he wouldn't sign with them, based on prior history of them negotiating in bad faith with players.

#2 Wentz has offset language, and defers $1M (6%) of his $17.6M signing bonus to Jan 2017.
#4 Elliott has offset language and defers $5.8M (36%) of his $16.3M signing bonus to 2017
#5 Ramsey has no offset and defers $2.5M (25%) of his $10.1M signing bonus to 2017
#6 Stanley has offset language and defers $1.6M (11%) of his $15.1M signing bonus to 2017

Chargers are offering Bosa offset language and a ~50% deferment of his $17M signing bonus to 2017.

Apparently, too, none of picks 1-4 from 2012-2015 had both an offset and deferred signing bonus in their contract language.

So, it's not the exact same language, the Chargers really are coming in a bit low on Bosa compared to prior and current season contracts, and the Chargers are trying to set a precedent that pushes the market downward for future picks.

The last time the Chargers had a Top 10 pick, it was Eli Manning, who told them flat out he wouldn't sign with them, based on prior history of them negotiating in bad faith with players.
Good info, thanks.

It's dumb to pass up all that money and wait a year to hopefully start collecting a similar amount, but it's even dumber to be willing to piss away the #3 overall pick in a draft, where you had the opportunity to take the best non-QB in college football, over offset language and paying a portion of a bonus 6 months earlier.

First mistake is that his dad attended BC as another poster pointed out. It is all downhill from there.

Chargers upped their deferred salary proposal from 50%. It was quickly rejected.

At first, I think one could look at the Chargers and say they were trying to get one on the kid but now it appears Bosa is the one who is holding this up now.

Chargers upped their deferred salary proposal from 50%. It was quickly rejected.

At first, I think one could look at the Chargers and say they were trying to get one on the kid but now it appears Bosa is the one who is holding this up now.
Take the MONEY NOW.Stay out a year and God Forbid,anything could happen to him in his staying in shape training routines.

At the end of the day, Bosa will almost certainly agree to a deal, and the amount of the total deal ($25M) will be the same as it would if he signed three weeks ago. He'll probably lose a significant chunk ($100K or more) with less favorable taxes, but the overall deal will be largely the same. He's not really losing much, financially.

But what did the Chargers gain from trying to buck the standard 3rd pick contract norms? They essentially lost a productive season out of Bosa (because he'll be crazily far behind joining the team this late) to shift a few million dollars in cost from 2016 to 2017. And on top of that, they made themselves more likely to run into a future Eli Manning situation with top draft picks and a less attractive destination for free agents.

At this point, Bosa knows that he's already missed too much camp to come in and have a big rookie season, so "holding it up now" becomes less of a big deal with each passing day. At this point, holding out is hurting the Chargers more than him.

NFL should be like CFB where players get to decide where they want to play.

Granted the players make good money, but they should decide where and whom they play.
Right now there is no incentive for owners to change their ways.

So, at the end of the day.... the Chargers' penny pinching managed to save $3M this year in exchange for losing their #3 draft pick for almost all of camp and the preseason. And they'll have to pay him the $3M next year anyway. Idiots.

Reactions: thad23

Excellent info. Many people post without knowing the situation. First reaction is that Bosa's the A-hole.

So, at the end of the day.... the Chargers' penny pinching managed to save $3M this year in exchange for losing their #3 draft pick for almost all of camp and the preseason. And they'll have to pay him the $3M next year anyway. Idiots.

Can't understand the Chargers either...and they have such a rich tradition of being cheap idiots. Lol

Somebody should read "The Art of the Deal."

It was a negotiation. Granted, with narrow parameters, but a negotiation nonetheless. Sure he could have lost a lot of money sitting out the season, but would the Chargers give up the #3 pick for NOTHING? They stared eachother down. MAybe Bosa caved, but lost little. Chargers lost his in-game services for what, a month?

Bosa has also served notice to the Chargers when his contract is up.

Whose rep took the bigger hit? They both did, but talent will overshadow "distraction." And how many will tell the Chargers: "Don't draft me, I won't play for you."?

ADVERTISEMENT