ADVERTISEMENT

OT: John Beilein

He's a great coach but NBA seems out of his realm. He appears more of a teacher professor type best suited for college but i probably thought the same of brad Stevens and to me he is the best coach in the NBA hands down.

I am surprised that Brad Stevens success has not lead to more college coaches being sought by pro teams. I think the Knicks inquired about Jay Wright. He probably laughed and thought better about working for Dolan.

Reactions: JoeRU
His style is what we see being emulated in the pros now. Seems a little out of touch from a personality perspective for the pro game, but on the court, he's current.

Reactions: RU82 and Russ Wood
Tremendous college basketball coach.His teams have 3 point shooters at every position and are fundamentally sound on offense and defense.

He's a great coach but NBA seems out of his realm. He appears more of a teacher professor type best suited for college but i probably thought the same of brad Stevens and to me he is the best coach in the NBA hands down.
Beilein is a tremendous coach and great basketball mind. Seems like the right coach to make a move like that.

He runs NBA-level offense at Michigan now. The only question is how he deals with professional players.

I was on the phone with the publisher of another Rivals team site when this news broke. He thought Beilein would be great in the NBA.

Said he's got a style of offense players like and that fits the current type of positionless basketball the league seems to be moving towards.

Like Steven he is an advanced analytics guy.

I was on the phone with the publisher of another Rivals team site when this news broke. He thought Beilein would be great in the NBA.

While I would agree, he'd be one of the oldest coaches ever hired in the NBA and it'd be for a rebuilding franchise with a roster that doesn't fit what he would want to do.

Thanks blockm2. So he will either go to the NBA or retire in the next few years. He is a very good coach so it will be nice not to have to compete against him soon.

Reactions: shields
I am surprised that Brad Stevens success has not lead to more college coaches being sought by pro teams. I think the Knicks inquired about Jay Wright. He probably laughed and thought better about working for Dolan.
Brad Stevens seems to be a unique talent.

Thanks blockm2. So he will either go to the NBA or retire in the next few years. He is a very good coach so it will be nice not to have to compete against him soon.

I suspect he’s on about a 4-5 year timeline. He’s been reinvigorated since the plane accident in 2017 and has seen a big upswing in recruiting from 2017 to 2019 classes. I’d be shocked if he went to the NBA. He was out recruiting DJ Carton this morning. Michigan will miss him whenever he hangs it up, but hopefully he will have the program humming for somebody else to slide into.

All of this may be true in terms of Beilein’s acumen and Stevens’ acumen, but let’s not discount the role of the front office in assembling talent (Ainge). What does the infrastructure look like in Detroit?

All of this may be true in terms of Beilein’s acumen and Stevens’ acumen, but let’s not discount the role of the front office in assembling talent (Ainge). What does the infrastructure look like in Detroit?

I think they just parted ways with their GM so unclear who is leading the search. Maybe looking for an Ainge clone. Took a big risk with the Blake Griffin deal. Supposedly interviewed Jason Kidd today.

I think they just parted ways with their GM so unclear who is leading the search. Maybe looking for an Ainge clone. Took a big risk with the Blake Griffin deal. Supposedly interviewed Jason Kidd today.
So a little unsettled then. I don’t think this is a great situation for him. They need to get that other part settled first. But he’s looking to get paid and retire, so....

Beilein turned down Rutgers offer. Savvy career guidance from whoever his agent is. How is his son doing, career-wise? Future Detroit Pistons’ assistant?

Great coach. Loved him since watching his offense at WVU. He plays recruiters shooters who buy into defense. Very smart basketball mind. 3 is better than 2 when you have a team loaded with shooters

Beilein met with the Pustons at least twice, once in L.A.

He is signed with Michigan through the 2020-21 season, making $3+ million per. He has been in contract negotiations with the Michigan athletic director. One of the things he's trying to do is get more money for his staff. The guy I spoke to said that Michigan staff is paid a lot less than Michigan State and Ohio State.

Also I think there is some family travel stuff.

Lastly, a NBA guy I texted thinks Dwane
Casey gets the Pistons job.

Would be shocked if he went to the pro's. Michigan will pony up. End of story.

If Beilein accepts the job, he would have something in common with ex-Rutgers assistant Dick Vitale and long-time college coach Chuck Daly.

Beilein turned down Rutgers offer. Savvy career guidance from whoever his agent is. How is his son doing, career-wise? Future Detroit Pistons’ assistant?
l've mentioned this before but I don't think his wife wanted to come here so it was a nonstarter. I'm not confusing him with Cristobal either, that's a separate thing.

Just looking at Patrick's wiki, looks like he's done a solid job at his 2 stops. Career trajectory so far looks pretty good. Keep it up and I think a mid major is likely in his future.

2012–13 West Virginia Wesleyan 12–15 9–13
2013–14 West Virginia Wesleyan 20–12 14–8
2014 - 15 Utah Jazz assistant
2015–16 LeMoyne 10–17 7–13 T–4th (Southwest)
2016–17 LeMoyne 22–7 16–4 1st (Southwest) NCAA Division II First Round
2017–18 LeMoyne 27–7 18–2 1st (Southwest) NCAA Division II Elite Eight

I suspect he’s on about a 4-5 year timeline. He’s been reinvigorated since the plane accident in 2017 and has seen a big upswing in recruiting from 2017 to 2019 classes. I’d be shocked if he went to the NBA. He was out recruiting DJ Carton this morning. Michigan will miss him whenever he hangs it up, but hopefully he will have the program humming for somebody else to slide into.
If Beilein leaves Michigan will not be better. He is an elite coach that is worth3-4 wins a year not to mention the culture of the program that he has established and demands. He did it with Pittsnogle’s West Virginia teams and before that at Richmond. He is one of the true good guys in the game. Michigan will go downhill if he decides to leave.

l've mentioned this before but I don't think his wife wanted to come here so it was a nonstarter. I'm not confusing him with Cristobal either, that's a separate thing.

Just looking at Patrick's wiki, looks like he's done a solid job at his 2 stops. Career trajectory so far looks pretty good. Keep it up and I think a mid major is likely in his future.

2012–13 West Virginia Wesleyan 12–15 9–13
2013–14 West Virginia Wesleyan 20–12 14–8
2014 - 15 Utah Jazz assistant
2015–16 LeMoyne 10–17 7–13 T–4th (Southwest)
2016–17 LeMoyne 22–7 16–4 1st (Southwest) NCAA Division II First Round
2017–18 LeMoyne 27–7 18–2 1st (Southwest) NCAA Division II Elite Eight
The “wife” stuff is party line stuff. It is a polite way of saying thanks, but no thanks. No one gets offended and no one looks bad. Both parties move on.

If Beilein leaves Michigan will not be better. He is an elite coach that is worth3-4 wins a year not to mention the culture of the program that he has established and demands. He did it with Pittsnogle’s West Virginia teams and before that at Richmond. He is one of the true good guys in the game. Michigan will go downhill if he decides to leave.

Nobody at Michigan is hoping he leaves and nobody expects to "get better" whenever he leaves. There is some room for improvement, however, in terms of things like recruiting. When Iggy Brazdeikis sets foot on campus this fall, he will be only the 3rd 5 star recruit Beilein has brought in over 11 recruiting classes. Michigan's AD can afford to pay top dollar for a basketball coach, so they would like to have a top 10 program nationally even without Beilein. Where they go for that coach is anybody's guess, but there doesn't necessarily have to be a dropoff when he leaves. Michigan basketball has had 4 different coaches reach a national title game, so the success certainly isn't coach dependent.

Nobody at Michigan is hoping he leaves and nobody expects to "get better" whenever he leaves. There is some room for improvement, however, in terms of things like recruiting. When Iggy Brazdeikis sets foot on campus this fall, he will be only the 3rd 5 star recruit Beilein has brought in over 11 recruiting classes. Michigan's AD can afford to pay top dollar for a basketball coach, so they would like to have a top 10 program nationally even without Beilein. Where they go for that coach is anybody's guess, but there doesn't necessarily have to be a dropoff when he leaves. Michigan basketball has had 4 different coaches reach a national title game, so the success certainly isn't coach dependent.

You must be kidding me. He is one of the 5 best coaches in college. If you think there will not be a drop off if he left Michigan, I have a bridge to sell you. He continually out coaches teams with better overall talent. Michigan is a national brand but any coach after Beilein will be a drop off.

Reactions: rubaseball78
at 65 years old and a healthy good 65, Michigan would be best served for him to stay another 5-7 years before retirement.

How many Final Four appearances did Tommy Amaker lead Michigan to during his tenure?

Reports of a 2 year extension and salary of just under 4mil

2nd worst coach Michigan has had since the 1970s if not longer. Only the immortal Brian Ellerbe was worse.
Oh, come on, man.
001a.jpg

Oh, come on, man.
001a.jpg

I was actually unaware he played at Rutgers until now. He was so bad after he got fired at Michigan he was out of college hoops completely for 8 years and is still just a low level assistant. Why he got hired I still don’t know.

I was actually unaware he played at Rutgers until now. He was so bad after he got fired at Michigan he was out of college hoops completely for 8 years and is still just a low level assistant. Why he got hired I still don’t know.
Because Steve Fisher got canned in September and the program was a train wreck at the time. Brian had just been hired as an assistant and wasn't tainted by the nonsense of the previous Fisher years. Brian had already been a head coach before (hired/fired by Rutgers Radio Man Joe Boylan at Loyola, MD) so it made sense as the interim choice. The school was facing a rough road ahead with the NCAA so after the season they just stuck with him until the dust could clear. Michigan actually tried to hire Amaker for the first time after the season which would've meant he would've bailed on the Hall after only coaching there one year. Hard to attract a good coach when you're facing sanctions.

Because Steve Fisher got canned in September and the program was a train wreck at the time. Brian had just been hired as an assistant and wasn't tainted by the nonsense of the previous Fisher years. Brian had already been a head coach before (hired/fired by Rutgers Radio Man Joe Boylan at Loyola, MD) so it made sense as the interim choice. The school was facing a rough road ahead with the NCAA so after the season they just stuck with him until the dust could clear. Michigan actually tried to hire Amaker for the first time after the season which would've meant he would've bailed on the Hall after only coaching there one year. Hard to attract a good coach when you're facing sanctions.

I’m well aware of how it actually went down. I’m just still shocked in hindsight someone with his resume got to be Michigan’s HC for several years. The fact he couldn’t get an assistant job for nearly a decade afterwards says something about something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT