OT: John Wayne Airport - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Rutgers Football' started by T2Kplus10, Jun 14, 2019.

1. T2Kplus10

T2Kplus10 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

@RU4Real and others.

Flying into SNA today for a Disneyland vacation (and a few day trips). I hear SNA is a bit unique for landing and taking off. What's up? I read a review of what happens, but the article was 9 years old, not sure if things have changed.

2. BeantownKnight

BeantownKnight All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Nope, it's accurate.

SNA is considered to have one of the fastest/steepest takeoff rolls in the world. The short runway (5,700ft) and noise restriction laws in the surrounding areas (Newport Beach) force departing aircraft to ascend aggressively right after takeoff. This rapid ascent makes for less noise pollution in the residential areas built directly ahead of the airport. Takeoffs at SNA are at 25 degree angles compared to other airports where a 10 degree angle is used.

T2Kplus10 likes this.
  3. jay_hq

jay_hq All American
    Expand Collapse

i flew in and out of it a couple years ago.

i dont remember it being anything different. in fact if you hadn't mentioned it in this thread i would have never known something was different.

its just... another airport.

i suppose ignorance is bliss?

4. T2Kplus10

T2Kplus10 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Good info, thanks! I also saw that they greatly reduce engine power sooner than expected that scared a lot of people (thinking something is wrong!).

blueoyster likes this.
  5. RU4Real

RU4Real Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

SNA is highly noise-sensitive and has some pretty rigorous noise-abatement procedures. That said, landing isn't particularly unusual other than that pilots are encouraged to use the minimum flap setting, which will typically translate into a faster approach speed.

Departures can be a little more spectacular, depending on the aircraft. Worst-case scenario, it's gonna be a steep climb on a low power setting, which will feel a little unstable from inside the passenger cabin.

T2Kplus10 likes this.
  6. Saint Puppy

Saint Puppy All Conference
    Expand Collapse

Flew in last year for Disney trip too - no issues - quiet airport on the whole (this is of course coming from Newark). Enjoy your trip!

T2Kplus10 likes this.
  7. Beancounter88

Beancounter88 All Conference
    Expand Collapse

I like John Wayne - very relaxed. Anything beats that undersized and crazy LAX. Didn’t even know about the other stuff, but if you fly into LGA everything else is a piece of cake.

rutger80, cicero grimes and T2Kplus10 like this.
  8. Jm0513

Jm0513 Senior
    Expand Collapse

Enjoy Disney :D

RutgersRaRa and T2Kplus10 like this.
  9. Caliknight

Caliknight Legend
    Expand Collapse

John Wayne is fine. Much better than LAX. What a mess that airport is. Whenever possible, I use Burbank. I’ll even do a short lay over somewhere to avoid LAX. Burbank is great. Easiest airport going. Long Beach is easy too.

10. RU85inFla

RU85inFla All American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Last time I was there they were filming Jerry Maguire at the airport. Walked right past Tom Cruise.

Jm0513 and T2Kplus10 like this.
  11. T2Kplus10

T2Kplus10 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Staying at the Grand Californian for the week, day trips to San Diego Zoo and Aliso Beach. Very happy the SNA times worked out, LAX blows!

Scarlet Shack and Jm0513 like this.
  12. mdk01

mdk01 All American
    Expand Collapse

Well Pilgrim, strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

13. RutgersRaRa

RutgersRaRa Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

SNA is so much easier than LAX, especially if heading south from the airport. Flown in and out several times and noticed exactly zero difference between this airport and any other. Well, other than the SNAkes in the overhead compartments. Let us know how it goes.

WhichReligionIsRight and Jm0513 like this.
  14. BHSPCRU

BHSPCRU Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

John Wayne airport is more convenient than LAX...Never noticed any difference... my favorite airport in Southern Cal is Palm Springs...luv that airport...

15. mikershoein

mikershoein All Conference
    Expand Collapse

16. FELONIOUSMONK

FELONIOUSMONK All American
    Expand Collapse

Enjoy the chuck wagon chilli ...

17. Candiru

Candiru Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

SNA also has very strict rules on time as it pertains to departures due to noise restrictions in surrounding area. They shut the airport down at 10 sharp. No exceptions. They get major fines if they allow takeoffs after curfew. They’ll call a jet back in if they’re not out before 10pm which is not uncommon especially during the foggy season. I’ve had it happen to me twice.

18. Caliknight

Caliknight Legend
    Expand Collapse

Let me know if you make it up to civilization, aka Beverly Hills :)

T2Kplus10 likes this.
  19. WhichReligionIsRight

WhichReligionIsRight Heisman Winner
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That's right. The planes take off with high velocity for about 30 seconds. Then they throttle off over the expensive homes. For the uninitiated, it might seem a little scary, but overall is no big deal.

The airport itself is easy in and out - so much better than LAX. Rental cars are on site but tend to be expensive.

T2Kplus10 likes this.
  20. T2Kplus10

T2Kplus10 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

No problem, should be doing a work trip soon to LA.....Marina Del Day Marriott and market research on Westwood.

Caliknight likes this.
  21. WhichReligionIsRight

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Burbank is the best So Cal airport by far. I fly Southwest mostly.

**San Diego is awful, but is in a great location. Busiest single runway airport in USA. Highlights are flying right next to downtown SD and also literally a few feet over a parking garage right before landing. Terminal is terrible, especially when flights are delayed.
    **Ontario. All-around depressing. Access is easy, but this airport is a reflection of how crappy the Inland Empire tends to be. Food and bar are turrible.
    **LAX. Epically terrible. I will give credit to LAX, though for investing a lot of $$ on terminal upgrades. The international terminal is awesome.
    **Bob Hope. Small, convenient, easy access to Downtown LA. A step back in time as your flight boards from the outside. Bonus: Board from front and back of plane.
    **John Wayne. Easy access to/from airport. All-around pleasant - as the OC tends to be. Assuming you like suburbs and beaches.
    **Long Beach. I've never really counted Long Beach since Southwest hasn't had much of a presence there. But very convenient location and easy boarding. Tiki hut waiting areas are a nice touch.
    **Palmdale. Biggest problem is airport is in Palmdale. LAX operates this airport and has basically killed it off.

rutger80 likes this.
  22. GoodOl'Rutgers

GoodOl'Rutgers Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

No help on airport.. but why Disneyland and not Disneyworld.. is it the rain issues in Florida or that Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is open?

And why isn't it Marion Mitchell Morrison Airport?

23. rutgersal

rutgersal Hall of Famer
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Spot on. I’ve flown into SNA about 30 times and honestly never noticed a difference. SNA is godsend, especially if you’re visiting Orange County and don’t want to deal with the LA traffic nonsense.

24. T2Kplus10

T2Kplus10 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

We have been to Disney World 6 times with our daughter already (and #7 coming in Oct)! Our plan is to bring the little one to every Disney in the world. We booked Disneyland 9 months ago, so Star Wars being open is dumb luck. :)

GoodOl'Rutgers and Jm0513 like this.
  25. colbert17

colbert17 All American
    Expand Collapse

You guys are good parents. [thumb2][thumb2][thumb2]

T2Kplus10 likes this.
  26. RC1991

RC1991 All Conference
    Expand Collapse

I flew in and out of there last December for a conference in Anaheim. Very convenient and didn't notice anything on either flight.

jay_hq and T2Kplus10 like this.
  27. T2Kplus10

T2Kplus10 Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

Definitely landing was no different.....let's see about takeoff next week.

28. WhichReligionIsRight

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Only done for takeoffs.

29. RUaMoose

RUaMoose Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

So what’s the story on the 737 MAX ? Will they need to rename it. Seems flyers will avoid at all cost whenever it finally gets back online

30. RU4Real

RU4Real Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

I'm honestly not sure what they're going to do with it. There are an awful lot of them out there and Boeing still has orders for a few hundred more. Trouble is, the aircraft has an inherent design flaw (the tendency to pitch up at low speeds and high angles of attack, due to a change in the center of lift when the engines were relocated on the wing). It was this flaw that necessitated the MCAS in the first place.

Then they compounded the issue by subjecting their customers to maybe the absolute worst real-life system architecture error, ever (designing an automated flight control system which relies on a single input). Done properly, the system isn't a terrible idea. And the reality of modern flight is that there do exist some high performance aircraft which are inherently unstable and would fall out of the sky were it not for complex, automated flight control systems. But now... there are compound trust issues at play, here.

Ultimately they'll have to completely redesign the MCAS and hope for sufficient marketing genius so as to bestow on Boeing what is commonly referred to as a "Tylenol moment". And hope that the flying public forgets to remember to care.

It's worth bearing in mind, too, that the MAX's predecessors, both previous generations of 737, had serious problems which resulted in total airframe losses. And yet it's still the most popular airplane, of any kind, ever.

RUaMoose likes this.
  31. OC Knight

OC Knight Senior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I pretty much fly out of this airport at least twice a month since I live in OC and never really noticed that its that steep -- maybe for a bit then levels off. Another crazy thing is if the planes run late and cant land before 10 pm, we land at LAX and get bused down.

My daughter and friends were at Disneyland last weekend and they were able to get through most of the major rides within 4 hours. Not a lot of folks there yet.

32. Yeah Baby

Yeah Baby Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

I fly in every year and no issues. Just another flight and airport.

33. Caliknight

Caliknight Legend
    Expand Collapse

Agree about Bill Bradley, though if you compare it to other global terminals, it’s still lacking imo.

Check out Jet Suite X if you are ever in LA and need to go to Vegas or a limited few other areas. Flies out of its own hangar in Burbank and is as close to flying privately without actually doing so. Wish they flew more places.

WhichReligionIsRight likes this.
  34. RU_PAYBACK

RU_PAYBACK All Conference
    Expand Collapse

I fly in and out of SNA twice a year with no issues. Nice small airport.

T2Kplus10 likes this.
  35. RUaMoose

RUaMoose Heisman Winner
    Expand Collapse

If someone gave you 10k and said you had to buy stock in either airbus or Boeing who would you choose ? Curious about your thoughts.

36. mdk01

mdk01 All American
    Expand Collapse

What's your holding period?

37. RU4Real

RU4Real Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

This.

Don't forget, Boeing may have 737-MAX issues, but Airbus is taking a bath on the soon to be dead A380.

38. WhichReligionIsRight

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

My brother in law swears by Jet Suite X. He absolutely loves it. But since I'm in the Sacramento area it doesn't work for me.

39. WhichReligionIsRight

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

40. RU4Real

RU4Real Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Airbus isn't a US company - ITA is specific to US companies in defense and aerospace.

There may be some funds available domestically which include it, but Airbus Industrie stock does not trade on any of the US exchanges.

All that aside, over the long run Boeing stock is a solid performer and they've been in tight jams, before.

WhichReligionIsRight likes this.