ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Joint Base Dix, etc weapons testing - why NJ?

Sep 11, 2006
I know folks in Jackson area, say this testing and the ground shaking and booms is getting ridiculous.. anyone know what they test there and why they are doing this in New Jersey instead of one of those states with actual large, remote proving grounds?

Story says "could include mortar and Howitzer fire" but I wonder if Ukraine has anything to do with this...

Stars and Stripes:

NJ military base warns of loud, ground-shaking explosions during busy month of training

Last edited:
People from New Jersey will complain about anything and everything. Don't buy a house near a bombing range if you don't want to hear explosions. The base was there long before anyone alive in Jackson.

And I live in the Yardville section of Hamilton, so yes I'm affected. My windows have been rattling for days. Big deal.

I know folks in Jackson area, say this testing and the ground shaking and booms is getting ridiculous.. anyone know what they test there and why they are doing this in New Jersey instead of one of those states with actual large, remote proving grounds?

Story says "could include mortar and Howitzer fire" but I wonder if Ukraine has anything to do with this...

Stars and Stripes:

NJ military base warns of loud, ground-shaking explosions during busy month of training

Gotta test bombs somewhere! :)

Stars and Stripes:

What do you expect at a military base?

People from New Jersey will complain about anything and everything. Don't buy a house near a bombing range if you don't want to hear explosions. The base was there long before anyone alive in Jackson.

And I live in the Yardville section of Hamilton, so yes I'm affected. My windows have been rattling for days. Big deal.
People are funny. We had to deal with residents complain about blasting at the local rock quarry and the train horn for the CSX line when it crosses a few roads in town. Both of these conditions predated neighborhoods by about 40-50 years. Is what it is.
😜

Reminds me of the people that moved right next to raceway park in old bridge and complained about how loud it was.
If people think it’s loud in Jackson they should try North Hanover.
We looked at a beautiful home there but as we were leaving a cargo plane flew about an arms length above the house. My wife said no thanks

Classic case of the legal doctrine of "coming to the nuisance," i.e. too bad for those complaining.

When I was with the Army National Guard mid 80s to 90s the Impact Area at Dix was rated for the largest artillery pieces in the inventory 8 inch (203mm) howitzers. The shells had something like 20 pounds of high explosive. It has been retired and replaced by the MLRS. Multiple launch Rocket System. Don't know if they shoot them at Dix. NJANG didn't have any when I was in.

I assume they still shoot the 155mm Howitzer at Dix

There were also combat engineering ranges were they would simulate blowing up a bridge and blowing down buildings. They might use more than 20 pounds of C-4 in some of those.

The air dropped stuff went to the Warren Grove or further afield Target Ranges.

People are funny. We had to deal with residents complain about blasting at the local rock quarry and the train horn for the CSX line when it crosses a few roads in town. Both of these conditions predated neighborhoods by about 40-50 years. Is what it is.
at Trap Rock? I'm not that far away and don't hear anything from there.

at Trap Rock? I'm not that far away and don't hear anything from there.
Trap Rock is in South Brunswick. Very close to the southern Monty border, but well buffered via the D&R Canal and Millstone River. I am talking about Gibraltar in Belle Mead. It's off of 601 at the foothills of the Sourland Preserve. Lots of whining about that one. :)

People are funny. We had to deal with residents complain about blasting at the local rock quarry and the train horn for the CSX line when it crosses a few roads in town. Both of these conditions predated neighborhoods by about 40-50 years. Is what it is
I get how residents could get annoyed if it has increased over time, but I suspect that if it weren't for this, it would be something else to complain about.

I live not far from a plant that whatever they make there, occasionally releases a subtle smell of cupcakes in the air. It's not often, but it happens, and people complain. Complain.... about... it... smelling... like... cupcakes when they walk out of their house.

I get how residents could get annoyed if it has increased over time, but I suspect that if it weren't for this, it would be something else to complain about.
Good point. We eventually decided to pay for 2 quiet zone upgrades (i.e., no train horn required) to help out residents because CSX train traffic had significantly increased over the past 20 years. One of the crossings had a legit safety issue so we were able to get a grant for a quad gate system. The other crossing was expensive, but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Article in paper said West Point also using artillery and to expect booms
Article said training was part of "Beast Week" but USMA hasn't even had graduation yet and BW is part of new recruit arrival in July.
DC wants in on Ukraine bad - openly bragging they helped Ukraine sink Moskova (and also killing Russian generals). Seeking to provoke a response obvs

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/na...ssian-flagship-moskva-officials-say-rcna27559

Stars and Stripes:

I moved to South Howell 10 yrs. ago. Upon 1st hearing it, I thought damn, someone's getting a lot of material. Sounded just like a Tandem dump truck slamming it's tailgate. Then my wife enlightened me they're bombing. It gets loud when the cloud cover is low. But it's been this way forever it's a proving ground for ordinance. The sights(planes) and sounds of freedom don't really bother us. Now we just look at Howell Happenings to see when they're going to unload the big stuff.

On a related note, went down to the Warren Grove Range, they give you time and dates of bombing runs. You can go up in the scoring tower and watch the A-10 Warthogs strafe and use dummy bombs on ground targets. The best part you're really not far away. I was amazed how close the scoring tower is to the range.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Having military bases in NJ is good for NJ. I agree w/folks saying that people will complain about anything.

If you move to a house near a military base, you can expect to have military training exercises, some of which may be loud and shake your house.

You think that is bad, I get waked up by very loud roars for several minutes, followed by sonic booms every time one of the Musk guys Falcon 9s gets launched. Here is a guy making enough money to buy Twitter and we poor people have to listen to his noise. Unfair.

JK.

Stars and Stripes:

Just to be clear, this is training not testing. Dix is a primary training area and firing ranges for a large number of Reserve and National Guard units. This time of year is prime time for Annual(2-week) training for these units.

As noted elsewhere in the thread, Dix supports up to 155m tube artillery(like the M777 sent to Ukr) as well as M1 tank and helicopter air to ground gunnery(think Apaches and its 30mm chain gun) It does not support MLRS and other rocket/missile firing as the ranges are not large enough. I think the next closest base with large scale ranges like this are out near Harrisburg PA and Ft Indiantown Gap.

Back in the cold war (likely still the case now) NJ had the most targeted nukes out if any other region in the US. Half our aggressor’s launches could fail ad we’d still be a glass island when all is said and done lol. The soviets even had the old AT&T NOC in bedminster as a target.

Back in the cold war (likely still the case now) NJ had the most targeted nukes out if any other region in the US. Half our aggressor’s launches could fail ad we’d still be a glass island when all is said and done lol. The soviets even had the old AT&T NOC in bedminster as a target.
Here in Howell we have a heavy concentration just to our South is Lakehurst/Dix/McGuire joint base and on our Nothern border is Earle Naval Weapons Station. We're absolutely toast, no nuclear wasteland for this family.

My Daughter's game (she is a varsity lacrosse coach) was delayed due to "thunder" the other day, turns out the thunder was coming from Fort Dix. Everyone thought is was thunder until somebody told them about the Artillery training.

• Haha
Reactions: MADHAT1
So is that what I was hearing today?

Or is the National Guard/State Police having some major target shooting in Sea Girt?

Just to be clear, this is training not testing. Dix is a primary training area and firing ranges for a large number of Reserve and National Guard units. This time of year is prime time for Annual(2-week) training for these units.

As noted elsewhere in the thread, Dix supports up to 155m tube artillery(like the M777 sent to Ukr) as well as M1 tank and helicopter air to ground gunnery(think Apaches and its 30mm chain gun) It does not support MLRS and other rocket/missile firing as the ranges are not large enough. I think the next closest base with large scale ranges like this are out near Harrisburg PA and Ft Indiantown Gap.
Yes development another story. This article mentions the Army testing the new Extended Range Cannon developed by Picatinny Arsenal at Yuma (AZ) Proving Ground.

So is that what I was hearing today?

Or is the National Guard/State Police having some major target shooting in Sea Girt?
I was stationed three years at Sea Girt Armory with the Guard and we never shot a round on that range on the beach. Always at Dix or others.

That was just used by NJSP at the time.

It’s rare, but they do training every once in a while at Naval Weapons Station Earle and people complain about that.

I was on another website where someone in Allenhurst was complaining about hearing music at about 9pm. It was coming from the Stone Pony Summer Stage and the wind was blowing in that direction.

People just like to complain.

Reactions: goru1869
ADVERTISEMENT