ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kaiser Roll or Hard Roll?

Where are you from and what do you call this roll?

• NY/North Jersey - Kaiser roll

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • NY/North Jersey - Hard roll

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • PA/South Jersey - Kaiser roll

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • PA/South Jersey - Hard roll

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters
They are two different rolls. So, there is no true answer to this poll.

I do have to ask though- do some people in NJ really not know what a hard roll is?
I have been all over the country and never got a strange look when asking for a hard roll.

And in Morris county ...... "German Valley" became Long Valley during WWI due to similar reasons
Live 5 minutes from there. great place. Plenty to do and great restaurants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually the term Kaiser comes from the king (Kaiser) of Austria not Germany. You can look it up.

I’ve never specified, I just say “… on a roll” and take whatever the place gives me. If I don’t like it, that’s my problem.

I will say this though, if you get your egg sandwich on a bagel, I don’t even want to know you.
Change that to the freshest roll you got

A Kaiser has the swirl/design/whatever

A “hard roll” can be just about anything else.
I just didn’t know the nuance in the rolls. Sometimes I get a Kaiser roll when I ask for a hard roll. I bet they didn’t know the difference.

I just didn’t know the nuance in the rolls. Sometimes I get a Kaiser roll when I ask for a hard roll. I bet they didn’t know the difference.
I bet you are correct.

I never say Kaiser or hard. Just “on a roll” when I place an order. I get what I get.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
No such thing as Taylor ham or Central Nersey!
Look at the menu in every diner, deli and breakfast joint in NNJ. Amazing that something that doesn't exist is on every single menu and pork roll is not on those very same menus. You can call it meat garbage for all I care, here in NNJ it is known as Taylor Ham. Based on population I would bet more people refer to it as Taylor Ham than pork roll.

Reactions: Section124
Look at the menu in every diner, deli and breakfast joint in NNJ. Amazing that something that doesn't exist is on every single menu and pork roll is not on those very same menus. You can call it meat garbage for all I care, here in NNJ it is known as Taylor Ham. Based on population I would bet more people refer to it as Taylor Ham than pork roll.
I’m pretty sure when they did the survey of RU basketball fans and were giving out free PR and TH t shirts at the RAC a few years ago pork roll won in a landslide

I live in Flanders, Morris County, and have for 20 years, everyone I know here calls it Pork Roll. Thanks for trying.

I live in Flanders, Morris County, and have for 20 years, everyone I know here calls it Pork Roll. Thanks for trying.
Weird. I used to work in that area and have tons of friends in the area. They all call it Taylor Ham. Never heard anyone call it Pork Roll around there.

Weird. I used to work in that area and have tons of friends in the area. They all call it Taylor Ham. Never heard anyone call it Pork Roll around there.
Times have changed. 4 example, dems never used to be communists, NOW .................

The After Grill in Flanders Menu:

Mt Olive Bagel

Budd Lake Diner
242107482_10159471460725902_2303219929519934196_n.png

Chester Diner menu

Bill's Luncheonette

Flanders Bagels

Yeah you don't know anyone who calls it Taylor Ham...

Last edited:
Reactions: Section124
The After Grill in Flanders Menu:

Budd Lake Diner
242107482_10159471460725902_2303219929519934196_n.png

Chester Diner menu

Flanders Bagels

Yeah you don't know anyone who calls it Taylor Ham...
UMMMM. I never said it wasn't on the menu, I said I don't know anyone who calls it Taylor Ham. OK? NOW, you are taking this WAY TOO serious. Calm down and get yourself a PREC on a roll with a tall glass of OJ. Good grief.

Egg, cheese, salami on a kaiser roll. Eff porkroll or taylor ham. Salami rocks and so do poppy seeds.

I use both interchangably. When ordering a Taylor ham egg and cheese, I'll usually say "on a roll" or "on a hard roll". And I've ordered a "hard roll with butter". But when just buying rolls, I'll usually refer to them as Kaiser rolls, and other types of sandwiches I'll sometimes order on a Kaiser.

Raised in North Jersey, live in Central Jersey.

We don't get either down here and I miss them hugely. Will never forget taking Skillethead Jr to White Rose in Northern HP (maybe south Edison) and telling him we were getting a buttered hard roll and coffee for breakfast on the start of a long drive. He was 12 and was a bit surprised that he was getting coffee and had no idea what a buttered hard roll was.

When he first bit into the hard roll, he turned to me and said, "this is like the best thing imaginable to have on a car ride." He also loved his first coffee.

That was 31 years ago. Remember it like it was yesterday. Love both hard rolls and kaiser rolls. Never thought much about the difference between the two.
A few years longer ago than that - During college summers, I made extra money (really good money actually) working at a Sealed Air/Jiffy factory where my stepfather was the Chief Mechanic. Every morning (6am - Yeesh) we’d stop at he Hamilton Luncheonette on Hamilton St in Somerset (was known as Rosemary’s beck then). We‘d see a lot of the factory guys getting coffee etc.

One forklift guy, a really nice old Italian immigrant (it took me until Senior year to work out his thick accent) would always order the same thing - Butter Sandwich! I think only the owner really knew what he wanted. Good thing she was almost always there, lol.

I'm from Central Jersey and have always just called it a roll, but between the two options, I know it as kaiser. I also never specify, I'm pretty sure if you just ask for a pork roll, egg, and cheese, you get it on a roll at most places anyway.

They are two different rolls. So, there is no true answer to this poll.
This is pretty much what my Girlfriend (born and raised in Wyckoff) says - according to her while similar, a kaiser roll may be more "doughy" than a hard roll (kind of like how a square is a rectangle).

Being from Middlesex County I've had no hard and fast opinion hard roll vs. kaiser roll - but I do remind her that its pork roll and not taylor ham.

Reactions: goru1869
I use both interchangably. When ordering a Taylor ham egg and cheese, I'll usually say "on a roll" or "on a hard roll". And I've ordered a "hard roll with butter". But when just buying rolls, I'll usually refer to them as Kaiser rolls, and other types of sandwiches I'll sometimes order on a Kaiser.

Raised in North Jersey, live in Central Jersey.
When I order Taylor ham I use hard roll as well I do remember as a kid some kids referred to it as Kaiser rolls so it’s not foreign to me but I never used it much. Basically same thing.

This is pretty much what my Girlfriend (born and raised in Wyckoff) says - according to her while similar, a kaiser roll may be more "doughy" than a hard roll (kind of like how a square is a rectangle).

Being from Middlesex County I've had no hard and fast opinion hard roll vs. kaiser roll - but I do remind her that its pork roll and not taylor ham.
"Remind", lol...

Your last sentence is probably true (population wise) but it's still wrong. :)

A few years longer ago than that - During college summers, I made extra money (really good money actually) working at a Sealed Air/Jiffy factory where my stepfather was the Chief Mechanic. Every morning (6am - Yeesh) we’d stop at he Hamilton Luncheonette on Hamilton St in Somerset (was known as Rosemary’s beck then). We‘d see a lot of the factory guys getting coffee etc.

One forklift guy, a really nice old Italian immigrant (it took me until Senior year to work out his thick accent) would always order the same thing - Butter Sandwich! I think only the owner really knew what he wanted. Good thing she was almost always there, lol.
Down here (I live in New Zealand), bacon sandwiches are hugely popular (and very good). They are called "bacon butties." I asked a friend why they call them that and he replied, "Because they have bacon in them." I responded, "I figured out the bacon part, but why 'butties'"? He said, in the UK, bread and butter sandwiches are called butties -- butter sandwiches. Buttie then became the name in general for sandwiches. So your Italian buddy was merely following English tradition!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT