ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ketchup or Mustard

http://wgntv.com/2017/07/18/heinz-unveils-chicago-dog-sauce-to-get-around-citys-no-ketchup-rule/

I heard this morning that Heinz started selling "Chicago Dog Sauce" as a way to get around the Chicago tradition of no ketchup on hot dogs (and at $5 plus $2 shipping for a 14 oz bottle, it is an overpriced novelty).

But it got me thinking why are so many people vehemently opposed to putting ketchup on hot dogs. Some say it is because ketchup is too sweet. But there doesn't seem to be an objection to putting even sweeter relish on hot dogs. Plus sweet and salty are complementary flavors, which is one of the reasons prosciutto pairs well with sweet melon. Others say that ketchup overpowers the flavor of the hot dog. But mustard is a much strong flavor. And I'm not sure how someone in Chicago can be concerned about ketchup having an overpowering flavor, when they are topping a dog with yellow mustard, sweet relish, chopped onion, tomato slices, a pepper, and celery salt.

So what is the real objection to ketchup?

How a hot dog is spiced is a critical component of how it's judged. Ketchup mutes the spice in the meat. Mustard, on the other hand, brings it out.

People who put ketchup on hot dogs are likely people who grew up eating shitty, tasteless Oscar Meyer dogs - it doesn't matter what you put on them.

For hotdogs??

Mustard. Many different types of mustard as well.

Ketchup is just for fries at best.

I don't use it on hotdogs or burgers.....................or steak.

Reactions: runner3283
Catsup and brown mustard on burgers, catsup on fries, catsup and horseradish for shrimp
That is all.

How a hot dog is spiced is a critical component of how it's judged. Ketchup mutes the spice in the meat. Mustard, on the other hand, brings it out.

People who put ketchup on hot dogs are likely people who grew up eating shitty, tasteless Oscar Meyer dogs - it doesn't matter what you put on them.

I think it is just the opposite. A crappy hot dog needs the strong spice of mustard to give it flavor (or mask the crappy flavor). A good hot dog has flavor that stands on its own. That flavor can be complemented with toppings, and then it is just a matter of how you want to complement the hot dog flavor, whether it is with ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, onion, etc.

I think it is just the opposite. A crappy hot dog needs the strong spice of mustard to give it flavor (or mask the crappy flavor). A good hot dog has flavor that stands on its own. That flavor can be complemented with toppings, and then it is just a matter of how you want to complement the hot dog flavor, whether it is with ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, onion, etc.

Merely an attempt to justify putting ketchup on hot dogs, which is a sin.

I have a random thought "Discuss" I get annoyed as fux with the "discuss" in OP's. And even better when the OP is the first to discuss it in a different response rather that just making an OT all in a single post and see if it sparks interest.

Now, rant over. Ketchup is for hamburgers and french fries ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: cicero grimes
The only time I ever use ketchup is for fries, on a burger combined with mayo, in a meatloaf or as the base of homemade bbq sauce.
Ketchup on a hot dog is god awful.
Lots of great mustards out there. One of my go to favorites is Nathans Deli Style.
(The next condiment thread should be mayo or mustard on a sandwich. I have a simple rule. If there lettuce and/or tomato its mayo, otherwise mustard)

As Dirty Harry once said "Who puts ketchup on a hot dog?"

hot dog, pretzel, bagle = mustard

burgers, fries, baked beans = ketchup

Catsup on fries, burgers, Mustard on hot dogs and deli meats like pastrami/corned beef. Have to watch down here in Georgia where I live or they will ruin my burger by putting mustard on it at some places. Always try to remember to tell them NO MUSTARD! Mayo on any cold sandwich and occasionally along with catsup on my burger.

Catsup on fries, burgers, Mustard on hot dogs and deli meats like pastrami/corned beef. Have to watch down here in Georgia where I live or they will ruin my burger by putting mustard on it at some places. Always try to remember to tell them NO MUSTARD! Mayo on any cold sandwich and occasionally along with catsup on my burger.

Interesting that on almost all cooking shows, chefs put mustard on the burgers rather than ketchup most times...

Reactions: MoobyCow
http://wgntv.com/2017/07/18/heinz-unveils-chicago-dog-sauce-to-get-around-citys-no-ketchup-rule/

I heard this morning that Heinz started selling "Chicago Dog Sauce" as a way to get around the Chicago tradition of no ketchup on hot dogs (and at $5 plus $2 shipping for a 14 oz bottle, it is an overpriced novelty).

But it got me thinking why are so many people vehemently opposed to putting ketchup on hot dogs. Some say it is because ketchup is too sweet. But there doesn't seem to be an objection to putting even sweeter relish on hot dogs. Plus sweet and salty are complementary flavors, which is one of the reasons prosciutto pairs well with sweet melon. Others say that ketchup overpowers the flavor of the hot dog. But mustard is a much strong flavor. And I'm not sure how someone in Chicago can be concerned about ketchup having an overpowering flavor, when they are topping a dog with yellow mustard, sweet relish, chopped onion, tomato slices, a pepper, and celery salt.

So what is the real objection to ketchup?

It's gross. I'm not anti mustard but I don't use it. My go to condiment is hot sauce. Specifically Pyromania, a chipotle flavored hot sauce. I used to be a Sriracha fan but the it became too hipster-y so I don't use it much anymore. But hot dogs and Sriracha are good.

Anybody over the age of 12 who puts catsup on hot dogs lacks sense of taste.

The ketchup bottle has probably been sitting in my fridge for a couple years and has only been used as an ingredient to make cocktail sauce. I will not even put it on a burger anymore. If you have steak sauce or siracha or fresh tomato, why use ketchup?

fresh tomato on a burger taste a hell of a lot better than ketchup.

To be honest steak sauce is better with fries than ketchup...for thick cut fries anyway.

Your sense of smell and taste change as you age.
Lots of kids like ketchup on their hotdogs (go to a school lunch room / church picnic / neighborhood barbeque - see what the 4,5,6 & 7 year olds do - tee shirts have more red ketchup stains than yellow mustard stains) - lots of kids find mustard intolerably spicy / hot
- and then as time goes by & aging occurs - some people seek out food with more of a kick - first yellow mustard - then brown spicy - then some practically want wasabi on their hot dog ... jalapeno hot peppers on their hoggie ... and their Buffalo wings with atomic hot sauce .... while others cling to the taste of good old tomato ketchup.... and prefer 'sweet sauce on their wings
So, as you become more adventuresome with the hot & spicy food
- try not to get depressed by the fact that it can be largely attributed to the fact that your taste buds are dying off ....
& it takes a more & more intense jolt of flavor & spice & seasoning to really give you an explosive taste sensation.

Your sense of smell and taste change as you age.
So, as you become more adventuresome with the hot & spicy food
- try not to get depressed by the fact that it can be largely attributed to the fact that your taste buds are dying off ....
& it takes a more & more intense jolt of flavor & spice & seasoning to really give you an explosive taste sensation.

So in other words.... We are so screwed.

We are doomed...

Reactions: RUMBA-JK
So you like sriracha and think it tastes good on a hot dog. But you won't use it because it is too popular?

I still use it occasionally but I used to put it on almost everything. I'd go through a 22oz. bottle in about month. For something like hotdogs Sriracha is still good. I also still use it when I am starting not to feel good. A couple tablespoons are good for clearing out the system, way better than those neti pots.

So in other words.... We are so screwed.

We are doomed...

yeah ... am putting this on lots of things -

b---g-sandwich-toppers-hot-chopped-peppers-16-oz-500

Anybody over the age of 12 who puts catsup on hot dogs lacks sense of taste.

The ketchup bottle has probably been sitting in my fridge for a couple years and has only been used as an ingredient to make cocktail sauce. I will not even put it on a burger anymore. If you have steak sauce or siracha or fresh tomato, why use ketchup?

Ok. Whole 'nother question: Why do people put ketchup in the fridge?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT