ADVERTISEMENT

OT Kevin Bannon may be in some trouble

A lot of that looks reasonable from my experience running our local rec. committee. However, if there are personal benefits or unreasonable parties , events, and other slimy associations then there in lies the problem. Not to mention a lack of transparency and too many personal relationships involved. yikes.

We go to several park events each summer and they are well run, fun, and the venue is a quality setting. I hope they didn't frack up what looked like a decent thing for the surrounding communities.

How does one become "executive director of parks"? 135k plus benefits and pension? I'm sure he's putting in crazy hours though...lol

A lot of that looks reasonable from my experience running our local rec. committee. However, if there are personal benefits or unreasonable parties , events, and other slimy associations then there in lies the problem. Not to mention a lack of transparency and too many personal relationships involved. yikes.

We go to several park events each summer and they are well run, fun, and the venue is a quality setting. I hope they didn't frack up what looked like a decent thing for the surrounding communities.
Never looks good when you have conferences at unspecified locations. I get these guys spend money and travel but you need some actual places and receipts.

Nice little fundraising scam.

RU4 this is true of all charities it is a rich man's play thing. "Charity benefits" fund benefit's organizers not the charity. You may never see big charities getting caught like this as they or much better organized with their books being scrubbed to be cleaner looking
newell138 it is a national thing, these bumpkins are just not as well organized with their book keeping.

Damn snitches in Parks & Recreation. Interested in everything except doing their jobs. Someone is always raining on Kevin's parade.

But the non profit only gave $ 6k to Mercer Park System ? Sounds like it may have been setup for other reasons.

The Bannon family have never been accused of being the sharpest tools in the shed. Book him Danno.

How does one become "executive director of parks"? 135k plus benefits and pension? I'm sure he's putting in crazy hours though...lol
Two local Rec directors in Monmouth County resigned because of excessive hours and demands on their time by parents and requirements of the job. Actually, there is probably a fair amount of after hours and weekend issues to deal with with night games, weekend games, stupid parent and coach issues that should be dealt with without having to involve the rec director. Don't know about Kevin's job and how much work it entailed.

Apparently defrauding government funding for something he set up as part of Mercer County Park? Weird. Could only get through half, but some of you might be interested.

http://www.trentonian.com/general-n...-mercer-county-park-commission-for-corruption

People need to be held to account if there is financial impropriety taking place. But these are awfully small numbers for a corruption sting. And just because certain conference expenses are not specified in a tax document doesn't mean they don't have records and receipts to support them.

This could be low level fraud/public corruption, sloppy record keeping, or just a disgruntled employee writing a letter based on rumor or suspicion.

People need to be held to account if there is financial impropriety taking place. But these are awfully small numbers for a corruption sting. And just because certain conference expenses are not specified in a tax document doesn't mean they don't have records and receipts to support them.

This could be low level fraud/public corruption, sloppy record keeping, or just a disgruntled employee writing a letter based on rumor or suspicion.
Former RU athletic department employee?

I don't think one understands what the job entails if asking this question. That job is not a fluff job and there is alot to it with alot of hours.

This is an SL worthy headline. He's not the Parks Commissioner, no, he is the ex coach.

Trentonian
Mercer County park commissioner ousted after supporting ex-Rutgers coach
I loathe the SL like many others here do but to be fair, was Kevin Bannon best known for having been an RU basketball coach or for his work with the Park Commission (or any other position he has held)? You really can't have it both ways; either being a Rutgers coach is noteworthy or it isn't. If it is noteworthy, it will almost always be included in a headline.

While not the same in terms of celebrity status, let's say instead of Kevin Bannon it was Derek Jeter who was in hot water. Would the headline read "ex-Yankee great" or "Nike Jordan Brand captain"?

I loathe the SL like many others here do but to be fair, was Kevin Bannon best known for having been an RU basketball coach or for his work with the Park Commission
Granted that being RU coach is more noteworthy than county official.

But let's say some guy taught at Rutgers a dozen years ago and then gets in trouble in a new low job that has nothing to do with teaching. Is the headline "Former RU Prof in hot water"?

ADVERTISEMENT