ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kidney Stones

RU Cheese

All Conference
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2003
Anybody have any experience? Diagnosed with one last night. Only 2mm which is positive, but 3 times in last week I've had debilitating pain laying for a few hours. Drinking lots of water and armed w percocets, but appreciate any advice or stories.

Anybody have any experience? Diagnosed with one last night. Only 2mm which is positive, but 3 times in last week I've had debilitating pain laying for a few hours. Drinking lots of water and armed w percocets, but appreciate any advice or stories.
I have had three. The most painful things I have ever experienced. The pain, however, is not about passing the stone. The worst pain usually occurs as it moves from the kidney to the bladder. Sounds as if yours is small enough to pass. I passed one of the stones almost immediately but the last one took three days. It hurts when it moves, once it stops the pain recedes. Then it moves again. I passed all three and had no pain while they exited. Getting to the bladder however was really really bad. If it is small enough to pass then it is a wait until it passes thing. Good luck.

Have had them about 5 or 6 times, worst pain ever, although gall bladder attacks almost as bad.
went multiple lithotripsies for them. On some meds to try to prevent.
Drink lots of fluids and hope they pass without major complications.

Have had several over the years, all small enough to pass on their own. My tips are 1) as others have said, consume copius amounts of fluids and 2) (I read this somewhere once way back and has worked like a charm for me) : ...... take LONG HOT baths and make sure your torso is sumberged in the hot water as much as possible. I had read that part of the issue is when the stones start moving inside... one of your bodies responses is to have mini muscle spasms all over the areas inside where it is occuring. This contributes to the pain and discomfort... and might even impede progress of the stone to its destination !!. Apparently the warmth and fluids relax the muscles which ease the pain and allow more free movement of the stone. And in my case.... the pain is much worse up inside near your back then when it actually passes... Oh yeah.... and take the anti inflammatories.... also helps with reducing the pain, which in turn helps reduce the reactionary spasms.

Good Luck

I had one stone and went to the emergency room because of the pain. After several hours waiting, I decided to go home and try to sleep to relieve the pain. The next day, I visited a doctor and the x-ray showed the stone. No one suggested pain killer. Before the surgery, I had to go to the bathroom and a bloody spider came out when I was pissing, something like out of the movie Alien. Glad it never happened again.

I don’t know which is more painful, Gout or kidney stones. I had plenty of gout attacks in my past.

I have had three. The most painful things I have ever experienced. The pain, however, is not about passing the stone. The worst pain usually occurs as it moves from the kidney to the bladder. Sounds as if yours is small enough to pass. I passed one of the stones almost immediately but the last one took three days. It hurts when it moves, once it stops the pain recedes. Then it moves again. I passed all three and had no pain while they exited. Getting to the bladder however was really really bad. If it is small enough to pass then it is a wait until it passes thing. Good luck.
That's encouraging. I read that the pain is worse as it moves from kidney to bladder but positive to hear from someone firsthand. I've had 3 brutal episodes the last week and think it's getting close if not in bladder. Appreciate all the advise.

I’ve had kidney stones 5 or 6 times. Very painful. Drink fluids and hope they pass quickly. I had surgery once. Will never do surgery again.

I had one years ago, and that was enough. I learned there are basically two types. One are shaped like kidney beans, and those can be passed. The others are more like Chinese stars, and they can get caught up as it passes through the tube from your kidney to the bladder. I went back to the ER 3 times before they finally believed me something was wrong. I spiked a fever to 104, as the tube was blocked. They had to go in and remove the stone. They were able to analyze it, and tell me what foods to avoid going forward. I have avoided what they told me and I haven't had one since. Most pain I've had in my life, and I've had quite a few orthopedic surgeries.

I luckily only had one a few years ago but as everyone had posted the pain was really bad. It put me on my knees at one point. I am surprised no one mentioned using Flomax to help you pass the stone.

Had 3 and passed 2 on my own. The third one required surgical intervention. Interesting that your screen name is RU cheese as excess calcium can cause stones. After this one passes you my want to give up food that is heavy on calcium. Hopefully you can catch the stone so it can be analyzed.

Oh man do I feel sorry for you. I had one and it felt like someone stuck a knife in my back and left it there. 2 weeks until it passed. I pray every day to never get one again. Good luck.

Had 3 and passed 2 on my own. The third one required surgical intervention. Interesting that your screen name is RU cheese as excess calcium can cause stones. After this one passes you my want to give up food that is heavy on calcium. Hopefully you can catch the stone so it can be analyzed.
They were able to analyze mine, and I had to give up all tea products -- black tea, iced tea, green tea, chai tea. Any type of tea you could think of. I was also told by the urologist that cranberry juice is good for the bladder, but hard on the kidneys. At that time of my life, I was drinking a lot of tea and cranberry juice. Haven't had any since. I don't want that pain ever again.

Reactions: RU from Jersey
That's encouraging. I read that the pain is worse as it moves from kidney to bladder but positive to hear from someone firsthand. I've had 3 brutal episodes the last week and think it's getting close if not in bladder. Appreciate all the advise.
Stones are generally not overly smooth so depending on size the pain traveling through the ureter is from the edges scraping the lining of the tube. Usually if you see blood or if dr retests it in a sample it’s from that and is another way they help diagnose it’s a stone. One reason flomax is suggested is because it loosens/dilates the tube in a sense which is supposed to help let the stone move through easier.
I’ve had them off an on for last 20 years or so. Calcium oxalate is the most common type. So you should make sure to filter out or keep your stone when it comes out so dr can analyze its chem makeup. They way you treat in future is different depending on what kind.
for me generally 2 big things is Cutting sodium a lot and heavily lowering oxalates. Problem is oxalates are in tons of healthy foods and can make you crazy trying to follow low oxalate diet all the time especially in beginning.
I’m leaving out lot of details but essentially oxalate present in your body and in lots of foods/plant-vegetables, etc if it binds with another thing generally calcium while in digestion process (like in same meal) it will digest and leave body with #2. If it doesn’t bind it will generally dissolve into bloodstream and get to kidney. When calcium also ends up in the kidney (and that happens exponentially more if you have high salt in body) the binding of calcium and oxalate happens there in the kidney and that bind becomes a crystal which then keeps growing bigger and eventually you see it as the kidney stone. If you consistently drink enough water/most fluids it will keep flushing the kidneys of the waste to not allow the crystals to materialize/grow into a stone.
I used to get stones once a year or often once every other year or so for maybe 20 years. All passed naturally but generally on the bigger end of what was naturally passable.
it was the worst pain ever! I even had to get taken by ambulance from work one time. If you know for certain a stone is small enough to pass naturally then you really just have to decide your pain threshold. The ER wil basically give you pain meds and IV fluids but if you drink enough at home and can deal with pain or already have pain meds you’re ok at home. If you’re not sure about size you really should go to dr/ER when the pain/situation arises because if it’s blocking around exit of kidney it can cause lots of major problems and infections.
once I had a nephrologist talk to me about changing diet (low sodium and low oxalate) and I generally implemented it, I haven’t had a stone since.

Last edited:
I had them in college once. Followed the recommended approach and nothing seemed to improve. Went to Stuff Yer Face, asked for my mug that used to hang on the ceiling of the bar among the hundred others. Drank quarts of beer until it finally figured its way out. Not a pleasant experience. Good Luck.

I have been dealing with them for over 33 years now. On average I get about 5 per year give or take a few. Most I feel a little discomfort and pee out the same day. Others are downright painful, but not hospital worthy anymore. While Percocet will work I find something like Naproxen prescription-strength better. The anti-inflammatory just seems to work better for me. This conversation came up in the past and I believe I shared my largest one before. If not here you go
IMG_0753.JPG

Ive had a couple one was 5 mm and excruciating pain for like a week or so. I used to drink ice rea constantly. No more
I atopped the tea and so far so good. Its been 5 years now with no pain
Goid luck. I never want to feel that way again..

I have two as we speak 5-7 mm, have not caused any issues and have been there for at least four years. Just had a CAT scan last week. Dr intends to crus them with a sonic wave procedure, so i can pee the scraps out. Anyone ever use this approach? I past one 2mm ten years ago and it was a bitch.

Kidney stone passing should be an event in both the Strongman Competition and the Tough Guy Competition.

There are actually 2 specific type Kidney stones both chemical makeup is different. Calcium Oxalate and Calcium Phosphate. Since the age of 21 I have had 9 kidney stones. If you are a kidney stone producers ( genetically) you will most likely produce a stone every 5-7 years. Water and diet is important for sure but unfortunately even that sometimes isn’t enough. Some docs recommend drinking lemon juice in the water. Some may give a diuretic making you urinate more often. Most now if you have a stone give flomax in order to relax the ureters.I had a 8mm stone removed in ‘76 ( at Cornell in NY which became lodged in the right ureter . They did not have lithotripsies yet my first one taking place at RWJ in New Brunswick 1992 my other two have been at JFK. The issue with the lithotripsy is the gravel left takes sometimes weeks to months to pass all the way out so fluids and exercise do help. There are times when they will leave a stent in for a week to help evac the sediment out. The pain can be excruciating and the chance of passing a stone larger than 6 mm is iffy. Just 4 weeks ago I had lower back pain which was diagnosed as a bulging disc …while going to the bathroom felt something move, enter and low and behold an 8 mm stone( from the past litho) formed in the bladder and decided to make a run for it. I actually had no pain since this stone was formed in the bladder . Once a stone passes into the bladder the pain ceases for most. My life experiences and talking to some great URO Docs has given me an understanding about this painful and sometime emergency type situation. A blocked up plumbing system is a dangerous thing. So as a side to all this . If you have a litho procedure make certain to understand that though safe there are some red flags . I’m glad they gave this and I would never want to go under surgery- surgery. Years ago they cut the kidney to get the stone if too large. A 12 “ cut near the right or left flank . Thankfully less invasive procedures do exist. Good luck and remember …DRINK WATER( or a six pack … one doc’s recommendation) Try to stay away from the list of 100+ items not to eat which is not easy.

I have two as we speak 5-7 mm, have not caused any issues and have been there for at least four years. Just had a CAT scan last week. Dr intends to crus them with a sonic wave procedure, so i can pee the scraps out. Anyone ever use this approach? I past one 2mm ten years ago and it was a bitch.
Yes… usually highly successful… some larger stones require several lithotripsy procedures but it sure beats the alternative of surgery. If your stone is under 5-6 mm usually passes by itself . Over that and it’s a crap shoot may or may not. Wish you a good outcome … It is an amazing procedure. Sonar / sound waves who would have thunk it?

As someone else pointed out stones can cause infections and blockages so clearing them out is advantageous . Some folks live for years with stones ( large ones) imbedded or stuck high up in the kidney. They normally never have any issues unless the little shit starts to wander.

There are actually 2 specific type Kidney stones both chemical makeup is different. Calcium Oxalate and Calcium Phosphate. Since the age of 21 I have had 9 kidney stones. If you are a kidney stone producers ( genetically) you will most likely produce a stone every 5-7 years. Water and diet is important for sure but unfortunately even that sometimes isn’t enough. Some docs recommend drinking lemon juice in the water. Some may give a diuretic making you urinate more often. Most now if you have a stone give flomax in order to relax the ureters.I had a 8mm stone removed in ‘76 ( at Cornell in NY which became lodged in the right ureter . They did not have lithotripsies yet my first one taking place at RWJ in New Brunswick 1992 my other two have been at JFK. The issue with the lithotripsy is the gravel left takes sometimes weeks to months to pass all the way out so fluids and exercise do help. There are times when they will leave a stent in for a week to help evac the sediment out. The pain can be excruciating and the chance of passing a stone larger than 6 mm is iffy. Just 4 weeks ago I had lower back pain which was diagnosed as a bulging disc …while going to the bathroom felt something move, enter and low and behold an 8 mm stone( from the past litho) formed in the bladder and decided to make a run for it. I actually had no pain since this stone was formed in the bladder . Once a stone passes into the bladder the pain ceases for most. My life experiences and talking to some great URO Docs has given me an understanding about this painful and sometime emergency type situation. A blocked up plumbing system is a dangerous thing. So as a side to all this . If you have a litho procedure make certain to understand that though safe there are some red flags . I’m glad they gave this and I would never want to go under surgery- surgery. Years ago they cut the kidney to get the stone if too large. A 12 “ cut near the right or left flank . Thankfully less invasive procedures do exist. Good luck and remember …DRINK WATER( or a six pack … one doc’s recommendation) Try to stay away from the list of 100+ items not to eat which is not easy.
Informative post

Reactions: RUBOB72
As someone else pointed out stones can cause infections and blockages so clearing them out is advantageous . Some folks live for years with stones ( large ones) imbedded or stuck high up in the kidney. They normally never have any issues unless the little shit starts to wander.
These are imbedded and he said unlikely to pass, but we don’t want them getting bigger

These are imbedded and he said unlikely to pass, but we don’t want them getting bigger
Exactly : This is why leaving them in too long is a danger. Better to try the lithotripsy procedure which has high success rates, minor post procedure discomfort if none at all. Your urologist can guide you on the safest and less invasive path if possible . Once the stone sediment starts sticking together it is like the ocean sands forming in clumps. Fascinating but painful for the patient. Good Luck

As additional info… they also can if not overly large cystoscope ( under sedation for most) them out. Yes have had that done as well. Thankful for sedation.

After mine, my urologist gave me a ballpark amount of how much to drink— half your body weight in ounces. So a 200 pound person would have to drink 100 ounces. Things with caffeine do not count because they are diuretics. And if you exercise you would have to increase your intake. It seems like a lot, but you do get used to it. And believe me, you don’t ever want to have to go through a kidney stone more than once.

Dietary calcium ok - supplements no good.
Get rid of those daily vitamins with all the calcium

"Surprisingly, the more calcium-containing foods you eat, the lower your risk of kidney stones. This was confirmed during a study involving 91,731 nurses between the ages of 34 and 59, none of whom had ever had kidney stones at the outset. During the 12 years of the study, 864 of the nurses developed kidney stones for the first time (that averages out to about one of every 1,000 participating). The researchers found that the higher the intake of dietary calcium, the less chance the nurses had of developing stones. However, among the nurses whose calcium intake was high and who also took calcium supplements, the risk of developing kidney stones was 20 percent greater than normal."

Dietary calcium ok - supplements no good.
Get rid of those daily vitamins with all the calcium

"Surprisingly, the more calcium-containing foods you eat, the lower your risk of kidney stones. This was confirmed during a study involving 91,731 nurses between the ages of 34 and 59, none of whom had ever had kidney stones at the outset. During the 12 years of the study, 864 of the nurses developed kidney stones for the first time (that averages out to about one of every 1,000 participating). The researchers found that the higher the intake of dietary calcium, the less chance the nurses had of developing stones. However, among the nurses whose calcium intake was high and who also took calcium supplements, the risk of developing kidney stones was 20 percent greater than normal."

Very good point as calcium supplements are different and can be an issue for stone producer. The irony is green vegetables , tea , chocolate all contain those things that help manufacture kidney stones. With water the theory is 10-12 8 oz glasses per day . But other factors come into play as too much water can be a strain on the kidneys… almost like an overload. My personal philosophy is listen and read up on your problem on any chronic medical issue.

Reactions: ashokan
I drink one glass of chocolate almond milk every morning. Glad I don’t have a history of stones or that would have to go.

Very good point as calcium supplements are different and can be an issue for stone producer. The irony is green vegetables , tea , chocolate all contain those things that help manufacture kidney stones. With water the theory is 10-12 8 oz glasses per day . But other factors come into play as too much water can be a strain on the kidneys… almost like an overload. My personal philosophy is listen and read up on your problem on any chronic medical issue.

Apparently people need some calcium to bind with the oxalates in the intestines and take them out so some dietary calcium needed. I also read stevia can be a problem in stone creation. Personally I never trusted the stuff because stevia leaves contain pyrrolizidine alkaloids which are bad for liver. I'm sensitive to them and after a week of stevia I knew it was bad news

I drink one glass of chocolate almond milk every morning. Glad I don’t have a history of stones or that would have to go.
It’s not really dairy products tom1944… for some time , back in the 50’s to early 80’s , the thinking by medical experts bordered on calcium products. Perhaps since primarily stones are usually calcium oxalate the restricting of dairy was a bad idea as it causes the body to pull needed calcium out of your bones. Those oxalates which are found in chocolates, tea etc. all combine to form foreign bodies such as those painful kidney stones .If your body doesn’t rid itself of the waste it settles in the kidneys . I have had numerous test on both kidneys to check… stone producers usually all get tested by a 24-48 urine collection. Always turns out kidneys functioning 100 percent. No back ups… no extraordinary negatives.So as I tell everyone there are much worse things to have in life. Just try to adhere to good practices in eating. Alcohol is also frowned upon😘

Believe this if you will back in those early, early days the recommendation was the hot tub soaks and and an enema. I think these docs and nurses were just screwing with us then.😜

Had kidney stones back in2007. What a bitch. Pain excruciating riding on a commercial mower. Was leaking my pants for days. Went to emergency room one night as I couldn't take the back pain. They gave me morphine that lasted 20 minutes. Finally had lithotripsy at St. Peter's . After you are done before you go home you have to go to the bathroom. They forgot to tell me how bloody it would be. Hard to walk up the stairs for a few days but they passed. Told me drink water and stay away from soda and iced teas. Yea I would'nt wish it on my worst enemies.

It’s not really dairy products tom1944… for some time , back in the 50’s to early 80’s , the thinking by medical experts bordered on calcium products. Perhaps since primarily stones are usually calcium oxalate the restricting of dairy was a bad idea as it causes the body to pull needed calcium out of your bones. Those oxalates which are found in chocolates, tea etc. all combine to form foreign bodies such as those painful kidney stones .If your body doesn’t rid itself of the waste it settles in the kidneys . I have had numerous test on both kidneys to check… stone producers usually all get tested by a 24-48 urine collection. Always turns out kidneys functioning 100 percent. No back ups… no extraordinary negatives.So as I tell everyone there are much worse things to have in life. Just try to adhere to good practices in eating. Alcohol is also frowned upon😘

Alcohol would not be an issue. I gave that up in 2013. For health reasons but not due to any problem with alcohol abuse.

Apparently people need some calcium to bind with the oxalates in the intestines and take them out so some dietary calcium needed. I also read stevia can be a problem in stone creation. Personally I never trusted the stuff because stevia leaves contain pyrrolizidine alkaloids which are bad for liver. I'm sensitive to them and after a week of stevia I knew it was bad news

I use one packet of stevia a day in my oatmeal.

It's almost like you cannot consider anything a sure thing that is safe to eat

Have had many over the years. First one was on the Rutgers golf course on a 4th of July weekend. Passed many on my own and then had several lithotripsies and finally a surgery in 2003. Have been taking alopurinal to cut down uric acid from the very beginning after the first stone. Have been doing the following more recently per doctor:
-eliminated iced tea
-potassium is a stone preventer so I have V8 juice with lemon juice every morning and a banana
-eliminated vitamin C supplement
-drink glass of water before I go to bed

Haven't had a stone since 2003.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT