ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kidney Stones

I use one packet of stevia a day in my oatmeal.

It's almost like you cannot consider anything a sure thing that is safe to eat
I use Splenda , stopped sugar many years now. Stevia leaves that after taste.

Have had many over the years. First one was on the Rutgers golf course on a 4th of July weekend. Passed many on my own and then had several lithotripsies and finally a surgery in 2003. Have been taking alopurinal to cut down uric acid from the very beginning after the first stone. Have been doing the following more recently per doctor:
-eliminated iced tea
-potassium is a stone preventer so I have V8 juice with lemon juice every morning and a banana
-eliminated vitamin C supplement
-drink glass of water before I go to bed

Haven't had a stone since 2003.
Vitamin C as you state is a problem if you produce Kidney stones. Not funny but seems like a large contingent of Rutgers people produce them.

The consensus is once a stone producer always a stone producer. Now if you adhere strictly to medical sciences directions you may limit them but at some point your probably going to produce another. Sucks for sure but at least today you would have some options to avoid what was once a dreaded , painful surgery requiring sometimes 2-3,weeks in a hospital to recover.

I use one packet of stevia a day in my oatmeal.

It's almost like you cannot consider anything a sure thing that is safe to eat

I have good luck with saccarhin - Sweet'n Low
I used to do the "sugar free" stuff like aspartame but that stuff is bad
One year I had pain in my wrists that I assumed was from biking
I quit aspartame and the pain went away while still biking
I looked into it and a lot of people had problems on aspartame
I used monk fruit for awhile and that was ok but it goes out of stock

I have good luck with saccarhin - Sweet'n Low
I used to do the "sugar free" stuff like aspartame but that stuff is bad
One year I had pain in my wrists that I assumed was from biking
I quit aspartame and the pain went away while still biking
I looked into it and a lot of people had problems on aspartame
I used monk fruit for awhile and that was ok but it goes out of stock
I don’t have an issue with any of them. I changed to monk fruit or stevia because they are from actual plants. I should not be surprised that the process to get them into a sugar like product means they might cause problems for some

Kidney stone passing should be an event in both the Strongman Competition and the Tough Guy Competition.
LOL. True.

I had one and passed it…..excruciating….went to emergency room and they sent me home with pain killers, said drink lots of water, and gave me a net to catch it.

As my brother described….”felt like an elephant stepping on my balls”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT