ADVERTISEMENT

OT: King of Staten Island (Movie)

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Had fairly low expectations for this, but it turned out to be a really good movie. Both my wife and I thought it was a great story about a wayward son of a Staten Island fireman, who died, in the line of duty when the boy was 7, and is now a 20-something slacker, who's struggling in life. He lives with his younger sister, who's graduating HS and going off to college and is super successful, and his mom, who is a nurse and still has a shrine to her husband 17 years later. Enter the love interest for the mom, who - happens to be a SI firefighter - and the fireworks explode for all of them. I won't give more away, but the rest of the film is by turns hilarious, gut-wrenching, tender, and even whimsical.

The film was written by and stars Pete Davidson, from SNL (and was co-written and directed by Judd Apatow), and it's basically autobiographical, as his dad was a NYC firefighter, who died in the WTC fires after the terrorist attacks and his mom's really a nurse and he has a younger sister and he really did have a very difficult time growing up, although the later parts involving the fireman were fictional. I think Davidson has been hit or miss funny on SNL, so I wasn't sure what to expect - he really gives a wonderful and pretty nuanced performance and the rest of the cast is great, including Marisa Tomei as his mom. Anyway, curious what others thought and definitely figured our own @e5fdny needs to see this if he hasn't already. The critic and audience reviews have been pretty good.

Had fairly low expectations for this, but it turned out to be a really good movie. Both my wife and I thought it was a great story about a wayward son of a Staten Island fireman, who died, in the line of duty when the boy was 7, and is now a 20-something slacker, who's struggling in life. He lives with his younger sister, who's graduating HS and going off to college and is super successful, and his mom, who is a nurse and still has a shrine to her husband 17 years later. Enter the love interest for the mom, who - happens to be a SI firefighter - and the fireworks explode for all of them. I won't give more away, but the rest of the film is by turns hilarious, gut-wrenching, tender, and even whimsical.

The film was written by and stars Pete Davidson, from SNL (and was co-written and directed by Judd Apatow), and it's basically autobiographical, as his dad was a NYC firefighter, who died in the WTC fires after the terrorist attacks and his mom's really a nurse and he has a younger sister and he really did have a very difficult time growing up, although the later parts involving the fireman were fictional. I think Davidson has been hit or miss funny on SNL, so I wasn't sure what to expect - he really gives a wonderful and pretty nuanced performance and the rest of the cast is great, including Marisa Tomei as his mom. Anyway, curious what others thought and definitely figured our own @e5fdny needs to see this if he hasn't already. The critic and audience reviews have been pretty good.
Love me some Marisa Tomei.
But for me Davidson has always been miss.
Perhaps the Apatow effect has brought out some hidden talent in Davidson. The commercials for the flick look promising though. I'll have to check it out.

Love me some Marisa Tomei.
But for me Davidson has always been miss.
Perhaps the Apatow effect has brought out some hidden talent in Davidson. The commercials for the flick look promising though. I'll have to check it out.

Give it a try - IMO, Davidson is way better as a comedic (and serious - he really has pathos and conveys brittleness and melancholy very well) actor than as a comedian, although it remains to be seen if he can expand on this kind of character. But I thought he was perfect for this role - his role, really.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Thanks for posting, @RU848789 - the picture Verizon shows to promote the movie while flipping through channels is a real turnoff, and it looked like the main character was a reject for Jersey Shore casting. Will give it a watch.

Interested in @e5fdny 's review.

Reactions: RU848789
And all you had to do was say Marisa Tomei was in the movie, and I would have been sold.

f7ec7c60-ab9c-11ea-a234-2baa5f94c76f_800_420.jpeg

I spent the $19.99 to watch it because, well I am desperate for anything entertaining these days. It was a 3 star movie, some good actors in it. Nice buy at $5.99 not $20.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83

Pete Davidson on Staten Island (and some really funny shit on Cape Air, especially for those familiar with that "airline") :

Reactions: RU848789
No interest as I am not a fan of the lead or his style of comedy. Although I feel for his circumstances.

That being said my wife and older boy did watch and it affected him on seeing the “what could have been” angle for his life.

He had a friend who was in the same situation as the movie portrays. His father was my friend too, our younger son is named after him and another friend killed on 9/11.

This kid was lucky enough that his mom was able to meet and marry a guy (also a fireman) who didn’t replace his dad but did a great job. The boy and his siblings were able to grow up in an extended family (the step dad had kids too that he was awarded custody of since he was such a great father) knowing they were loved.

This kid ended up being big like his dad and plays football now at a G5 school down south. Either a DE or TE, I forget.

So to me I liked hearing more about the real life King. He’s doing good and has turned out as a nice of a good guy as his dad who I am positive is looking down as a very proud father.

Last edited:
We watched it over the weekend. It had a meandering plot that wasn't apparent in the first 2/3rds of the movie. The movie was more uncomfortable than funny. Bill Burr and Davidson aren't good enough actors to carry a movie.

Final verdict: not worth the $20. Probably wouldn't even recommend it as a Netflix movie.

No interest as I am not a fan of the lead or his style of comedy. Although I feel for his circumstances.

That being said my wife and older boy did watch and it affected him on seeing the “what could have been” angle for his life.

He had a friend who was in the same situation as the movie portrays. His father was my friend too, our younger son is named after him and another friend killed on 9/11.

This kid was lucky enough that his mom was able to meet and marry a guy (also a fireman) who didn’t replace his dad but did a great job. The boy (and his siblings) was able to grow up in an extended family (the step dad had kids too that he was awarded custody of since he was such a great father) knowing they were loved.

This kid ended up being big like his dad and plays football now at a G5 school down south. Either a DE or TE, I forget.

So to me I liked hearing more about the real life King. He’s doing good and has turned out as a nice of a good guy as his dad who I am positive is looking down as a very proud father.

That's fair, although I wasn't a huge fan either and was pleasantly surprised. Nice story about your friend and his kid.

I spent the $19.99 to watch it because, well I am desperate for anything entertaining these days. It was a 3 star movie, some good actors in it. Nice buy at $5.99 not $20.

No clue on the price - wife ordered it and I watched. Since we often spend $50-$60 for two at the movies (we like the dine in place with the recliners), this was a bargain, lol. I'd agree with 3 out of 4 stars, maybe 3.5 for originality.

Reactions: skindawgs
Pete is pre suicidal - a reason he seems to not give a poop - and a reason woman like him (its a female flaw that they crave "saving" people ). I don't know if he's a "good or bad" guy but I reserve "deciding." He's a mess, but he might be a good guy - or not. Time will tell - but it wont be long.

Be aware - pre-suicidal people are most happy before they "end it." If you think you need to be on the on the look out for suddenly "down " people - you would be better off looking for down people, suddenly ecstatic (especially in spring and not Christmas etc)

Last edited:
I saw it about a month ago and have been recommending it. Good story and was real enough for me who is not a big fan of fiction.

The same wounded veteran who called another wounded veteran “unpatriotic”?
We are all taking what Pete Davidson said here. Not someone else.

And like @fsg2 said... It’s what he did, atoned for and had a good laugh (at his own expense too) with the party involved and now it’s over.

No need for the continuing tit for tat stuff on everything.

Reactions: fsg2
We are all taking what Pete Davidson said here. Not someone else.

And like @fsg2 said... It’s what he did, atoned for and had a good laugh (at his own expense too) with the party involved and now it’s over.

No need for the continuing tit for tat stuff on everything.

If people don’t want tit for tat stuff to continue then they shouldn’t bring up one sided political narratives in threads that decidedly start nonpolitical in the first place.

If people don’t want tit for tat stuff to continue then they shouldn’t bring up one sided political narratives in threads that decidedly start nonpolitical in the first place.
You tatted.

I didn’t consider what @newell138 said a titt. IMO his comment was more aligned with what what we were really talking about, the guy himself more so than the actual movie. He’s a polarizing figure as this thread shows.

As I said, not a fan. Never have been but I can understand what he’s dealing with.

Reactions: Knight Shift

This kid was lucky enough that his mom was able to meet and marry a guy (also a fireman) who didn’t replace his dad but did a great job. The boy and his siblings were able to grow up in an extended family (the step dad had kids too that he was awarded custody of since he was such a great father) knowing they were loved.

I'm also not a fan of Davidson but that's not the main reason I won't be watching it. Many people from Staten Island went down with the WTC and many more were lost to illness after the clean up.

I'm also not a fan of Davidson but that's not the main reason I won't be watching it. Many people from Staten Island went down with the WTC and many more were lost to illness after the clean up.

Not sure I get your logic. I also knew 2 people who died in the WTC attacks (and several more who barely escaped), but that wouldn't keep me from watching the film, especially given Davidson's semi-autobiographical take on his own life, in which his father was a firefighter who perished on 9/11.

Not sure I get your logic. I also knew 2 people who died in the WTC attacks (and several more who barely escaped), but that wouldn't keep me from watching the film, especially given Davidson's semi-autobiographical take on his own life, in which his father was a firefighter who perished on 9/11.
I don’t want to speak for him but since he lives there as a resident of Staten Island I might see where @OntheBanks is coming from.

Pete Davidson has in the very recent past said things about Staten Island and those who reside there that was not well received by the populace. He has even said stuff that raised a few eyebrows with the FDNY too.

Last edited:
I don’t want to speak for him but since he lives there as a resident of Staten Island I might see where @OntheBanks ie coming from.

Pete Davidson has in the very recent past said things about Staten Island and those who reside there that was not well received by the populace. He has even said stuff that raised a few eyebrows with the FDNY too.

Sounds like Jersey, lol. There is a good joke at SI's expense in the film, but it paints a pretty nice picture of how the locals truly seem to like it there, so the film is a positive for SI, I'd say.

Sounds like Jersey, lol. There is a good joke at SI's expense in the film, but it paints a pretty nice picture of how the locals truly seem to like it there, so the film is a positive for SI, I'd say.
That might have been a mea culpa.

Or a smart move for his own safety.

Don't want to derail the thread or titting/tatting, but any thoughts on the Wagner College campus? They have a 5 year PA program. Same question for @OntheBanks . Is the area OK and safe?
Some of the dorms have a beautiful view of the skyline. Like WOW views.

The immediate area, Grymes Hill is very nice. But like anything else in an urban area, once you start to branch out, eh. With the proximity to you though it’s still worth a visit.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Some of the dorms have a beautiful view of the skyline. Like WOW views.

The immediate area, Grymes Hill is very nice. But like anything else in an urban area, once you start to branch out, eh. With the proximity to you though it’s still worth a visit.
No visits allowed currently. Any stations in the area doing a ride along? :Sly:

Marisa Tomei is something special and did an amazing job in the NJ based movie “The Wrestler”. Beautiful lady and amazing actress.

Pete Davidson? Oh boy. Mickey Rourke as Randy the Ram just slightly would demolish this whiny prick and give him the Ram Jam.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT