ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Knicks Land Derrick Rose

Great day ???? What has he ever won ? He will be very content to cash a check. Fits in with Melo nicely when you think about it.

Reactions: JPhoboken
Terrible. Knicks need to get younger.

A washed up, older, often injured PG ain't helping the rebuild.

Reactions: JPhoboken
I'm not saying this is MVP caliber rose, but as a Knicks fan how can you not like getting him and a draft pick which we never have any of, and get rid of that scrub Calderon? Lopez was a stiff, and he gets hurt too. This doesn't make us compete with Cleveland, but this is certainly a win.

Only concern is if grant turns out to be good. Rose can still play, he has a valuable expiring contract, knicks still have tons of cap space to field a nice starting 5.

Reactions: eckoloco
Rose is still the guy that said a few years ago his main motive was preserving his body for after basketball. Meaning lots of down time--didn't he miss the whole playoffs with the Bulls a few seasons back, even though the docs had said he was able to play? Maybe a change of scenery, because once upon a time, he was a monster. Hate to give up Robin Lopez; Porzingis is etter at the 4.. Just have to see.
TL

Derrick Rose breaks too easily. At least they didn't give up anything for him.

I would have rather they got a couple of high draft picks for Melo instead and start the slow rebuild around Porzingis.

i think the upside of this is a first round playoff exit.

He is better than anything the Knicks gave up for him. Right now he is a 1 year rental on a contract year. Good move for the Knicks in taking a shot as they'll be no worse than they were last year if things don't work out. Regardless how well he plays this coming season, I would be reluctant to sign him to a long term deal due to his injury history.

He's an undersized slasher whose injury has sapped much of his explosiveness.

He's also a defensive liability.

Yeah, the Knicks upgraded, but this isn't nearly enough to overcome KD/Westbrook, LeBron/Irving, Curry/Thompson, etc.

What haters in this thread. His contract is only a year. He played 66 games last year and sat out games for rest and precautionary reasons. We don't have to watch Calderon bring the ball up. We lose our best defender but, the good news is we have $35 Million to blow. We need a SG and C. Hopefully, they come with defense. We are not hamstrung long term. How about waiting to judge the team after free agency? Repeat.........we have $35 Million to spend(if we so choose)!

Personally I think Lopez is a decent player.

Agree with Magoo----dump Melo and start over.

Rose Hurt Knee On Way To NY:

13510977_10153778928907831_1114431161364996358_n.png

It makes the Knicks relevant. With a weak east, they are only one move away from being competitive.

Very surprised by the negative reactions here.

-27 year old former MVP on one year expiring contract if it doesn't work out
-Unloaded two bad contracts (Lopez is good but not a $15M/yr player. Calderon is terrible)
-Free up space in great FA class. $30M still to work with.
-Have big name players to lure those big name FAs to best city in the world.
-Does losing Grant hurt? maybe one day. But you don't hold up a trade to get a player of Rose's caliber.

Im not sure what I'm missing but I think it's a tremendous deal by Phil.

When will NY (and Brooklyn) ever learn that the future is in the future; it is not in the now?

Instead of unloading, getting young, and building around Porzingis, they go for a fading star with bad knees to try to team him up with another aging star and the kid. Ain't gonna work. No more so than the Nets buying a bunch of antiques off of the Celtics (man did they get played on that one). Ever since Patrick, the cry has been "the future is now." But it isn't. Look at the Warriors. Build your team. If the fans see that in two or three years, you could be really good, they'll be patient. Even in NYC. Right now, nobody is going to seriously challenge the top four or five teams. So get good kids and be in the next cycle.

ADVERTISEMENT