ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Labs

Best dog I ever had was a brown lab that used to park in front of my office desk all day. He'd sleep and let a defcon three level fart loose every once in a while that flat out chased me out of the office. But he was a great dog that helped raise my kids and brought happiness to our family. And he was a Rutgers fan. He's on the left.

Had a black Lab for 15 years, then a flat coated retriever for 13 years, now I have a 17 month old black lab laying across my feet as I type this. Best dogs in the world, loves everyone, but boy do they have lots of energy.

Yellow? Black ? Chocolate?My nephew has a yellow female who just turned 14. It took a tremendous amount of diligence to get her there because they usually make it to 11 or 12 . They kept her active and thin. Do the same thing and you will have your pup a long time..They are the best.

If you want a low energy big dog....get an English Mastiff. A lot easier to deal with. Even better if you want a smart and obedient big/medium dog get a rough collie. Less hyped up energy than a lab and better behaved. My friends and sister all had labs and I had the above. While the labs were great, not as much so as the rough collie. Rough collies are just as friendly, but much better behaved and their intelligence makes them follow instructions better, training easier, etc. They come when called even if outside engaged in an activity which most dogs will resist.

Have a lab/beagle mix, who has lab size (75 lbs). Best dog you could possibly hope for. Hates the water though, unfortunately.

Even you non dog lovers will succomb to the love and companionship they offer.
nope.. i hate dogs.. they're dirty/smell, stupid/retarded, and too much damn work... oh and they're expensive... i'll stick with these lil cuties who give me more love then i can possibly imagine

iu

Reactions: RUaMoose
Zap very true with that statementality had a black lab for 13 yrs took mom out of nursing home and brought her home for a day
She walked in a big circle in my colonial
Hallway, kitchen, pantry, dining room, living room...over and over again. He stayed right be her side head next to her left hand...when she stopped he stopped. I wouldnt believe it if I didn't see it with my own eyes

Neither of my Labs ever chewed on anything...ever, the first one was never on a leash & would go on walks everywhere, this new one it is hard to walk her even on a leash since she pulls like a freight train.

If you can endure the first year of a Lab eating your sneakers and ripping apart your kids stuffed animals.
Unless you have allergies, that dog will become your best friend.
Zap. I love the fact that you have a 4 legged friend that has captured your heart. Uncondition love. Dogs are the best.
You met Scarlet years ago. Best Tailgate Dog in the world. But every dog is the best!
R1766U should be banned for ever after that nonsense.

Reactions: ballyturin
Dogs are the best pets. I do wonder why go pure breed though, when so many dogs at local shelters get destroyed. Why not just adopt one of them and give them a home? That's what we always did. A mutt or whatever gets a place to live instead of the alternative .

Dogs are the best pets. I do wonder why go pure breed though, when so many dogs at local shelters get destroyed. Why not just adopt one of them and give them a home? That's what we always did. A mutt or whatever gets a place to live instead of the alternative .

Besides simple vanity ... more predictable behavior and genetic characteristics. Also money - I'd have never gotten my dog neutered if I realized that ahead of time.

Adopting is a good option, too. Adopted a Chesapeake retriever that happened to be pure bred. Took a little while to get used to her quirks, but also a great dog.

The Dog’s Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat’s Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter” I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies.” I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

The Dog’s Diary

The Cat’s Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter” I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies.” I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...

Lol!

You met Scarlet years ago. Best Tailgate Dog in the world. But every dog is the best!

Not zap, but had the pleasure of meeting Scarlet (and Whitebus) in Philly years ago. As I recall nova won/lost/won us a game against SMU, I had far too many beers & pierogies, and Scarlet was everything Whitebus claims her to be.

Once I get rid of my allergic wife I'm all in on the dog.

Reactions: WhiteBus and 17Q66
Adopted a Lab mix. She was the best dog I've ever owned. Posters have listed the many reasons why Labs are the #1 breed in the U.S.

Zap. I love the fact that you have a 4 legged friend that has captured your heart. Uncondition love. Dogs are the best.
R1766U should be banned for ever after that nonsense.
That's funny, we are picking up a black lab puppy in a couple of weeks, we have also named her Scarlet.

My family has had four labs over the years. Two while I was growing up: Thunder (yellow, 105 pounds of muscle, basically a small bear, but incredibly gentle around children) and Shane (yellow, 65-75 pounds, could run like a greyhound and jump like a rabbit, just a pure athlete). And I've had two myself: Hudson (chocolate, 95 pounds, from Augusta, Georgia, just the sweetest, most loyal buddy you could ever have; an angel with fur) and now Sam (yellow, 65 pounds, a two-year old spaz who thinks he's a lap dog). Every one of them has made my life richer and happier.

1st dog we got was a golden retreiver. Beautiful, loving dog. cost $$$ and had hip problems. The 2 after that have been adopted lab mixes which have been equally awesome without the hip issues.

My family has had four labs over the years. Two while I was growing up: Thunder (yellow, 105 pounds of muscle, basically a small bear, but incredibly gentle around children) and Shane (yellow, 65-75 pounds, could run like a greyhound and jump like a rabbit, just a pure athlete). And I've had two myself: Hudson (chocolate, 95 pounds, from Augusta, Georgia, just the sweetest, most loyal buddy you could ever have; an angel with fur) and now Sam (yellow, 65 pounds, a two-year old spaz who thinks he's a lap dog). Every one of them has made my life richer and happier.
I "Liked" your way with words.

The Dog’s Diary

The Cat’s Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

Totally wonderful.You GOT me with that teaser. Where can I buy the book?

We looked into a shelter dog for our first dog. Here in Connecticut (I would imagine NJ is similar) shelters have one of two types of dogs: local pit bull type dogs (at muni shelters) and dogs imported from the South or other countries (at non-profit shelters). We weren't really interested in a pit bull type dog, though I've seen many that make wonderful pets, but with neither of us having experience with a dog we didn't think it would be fair to bring home a project. Non-profit shelters import almost all of their dogs, since we have way more people who want to adopt than available rescue dogs. It doesn't really seem all that noble, especially when you consider the $300 charge. Places where unwanted dogs are a problem need to get appropriate policies in place.

We ended up with an adult dog from a local breeder who gave us the dog for free, spent about 2 hours with us discussing care of the dog, and shows up at local breed specific events. I would have done the same thing again.

Lost my English Setter a few years ago. Gentle soul. The Mr Rogers of the dog world.

Now have an American Stafford Terrier, Chinese Crested and Pomeranian. The Pom and Am Staff were rescues

Ha, I was thinking Labs as in a school Lab, a Chem Lab.

Eating of sneakers in a lab had me confused for a second.
At my age, the first thought is Quest or LabCorp, hoping the PSA number is still in the normal range. $$$$

If you can endure the first year of a Lab eating your sneakers and ripping apart your kids stuffed animals.
Unless you have allergies, that dog will become your best friend.

Reminds me of the best way to figure out who loves you more, your wife or your dog. All you have to do is put both of them in your car trunk, drive around for a bit, stop the car, open the trunk and you will definitely see who loves you more!

I know...not PC, but too damn funny. My wife always laughs at the joke (yes...I am a lucky dude).

Reactions: FanuSanu52
1st dog we got was a golden retreiver. Beautiful, loving dog. cost $$$ and had hip problems. The 2 after that have been adopted lab mixes which have been equally awesome without the hip issues.
Cousins of Labs-First dog was a golden, Captain, 1978. He was a roamer and no dog catcher back then. The boro administrator had a bowl of water outside her office window for him. She would call us and say just wanted to let you know Captain just walked by my office. He should have run for Mayor! Smartest dog I've ever known. Hips did him in. Now we have West Highland White Terriers. We call them terrierists.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT