ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Lady GaGa to play Super Bowl halftime

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
thoughts?

Super Bowl halftimes have gone downhill and this choice shows how little starpower there really is in the music industry

Super Bowl is not for the real football fan . CBS butchered that broadcast last year with a promo on what seemed like every other play. Game couldnt breathe. It was terrible .
I rate the super bowl right up there with New Year's Eve.

Reactions: MozRU
Trying to think of the dinosaur rock acts still performing that haven't done a halftime show but still draw crowds.

Green Day?
Foo Fighters?
Pearl Jam?

Maybe they can tie into the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame and let the new nominees do the halftime show.

Last edited:
Didn't realize she was still relevant. Although I saw a pick recently of her lady parts falling out of her shorts. Maybe Arby's can sponsor the show.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Earth Wind and Fire would have been perfect SB show back in the day

Not sure I see how this shows how little star power there is in the music industry.

She has a new album this month - the single was being blasted all over a CFB game I was watching a week ago. Heavily Bruce inspired, and apparently she has all kinds of love for Bruce.

Anyway, not my cup of tea, but she's still a huge star with number 1 albums. I gave up on Super Bowl halftime shows after Tom Petty, Bruce and The Who back to back to back, but this makes as much sense as anything.

OP still wants to see 80s retreads like Madonna, if I recall correctly .. talk about hasn't been relevant in 15+ years.

She'll draw big numbers...like Madonna did like Beyoncé did like Katy Perry did...it's all about the the non football fan, many will tune in just to see her and who could frankly not give a crap about the game!

It's sad what's become of music. Used to be the freaks had talent. Elton John, Alice Cooper, David Bowie. What the Super Bowl needs is a full dose of P Funk.

If coke ever sponsors the half time show...you'll see (brace yourselves)...Taylor swift..and maybe even Bieber or Rihanna...Ariana Grande...

The thick Brit already said no so she's won't be asked again...

Super Bowl is not for the real football fan .[/B] CBS butchered that broadcast last year with a promo on what seemed like every other play. Game couldnt breathe. It was terrible .
I rate the super bowl right up there with New Year's Eve.

Agreed. To me, it almost feels like the end of the season once the AFC and NFC championship games are played.

I don't listen to pop at all, but she can sing. I never pay much attention to half-time shows anyway so it's doesn't make a difference to me.

Lady Gaga is the real deal. May not be my cup of tea, but I have mad respect for her.
Over the top costumes, great voice, and an "out there" personality make this a great choice for the extravaganza the game has become. Maybe Tony Bennett will show up for the oldtimers.

Reactions: RU1977
last time I actually cared or enjoyed a SB halftime was Janet Jackson, but mostly because of the "incident"

It's sad what's become of music. Used to be the freaks had talent. Elton John, Alice Cooper, David Bowie. What the Super Bowl needs is a full dose of P Funk.

Are you trying to say that Lady GaGa has less musical talent than Alice Cooper? Most of what she does is not my style, but holy hell, if you can't tell she's a talented musician you're just not paying attention.

I'm assuming you never heard her album with Tony Bennett. But it's cool to criticize pop artists today amirite? No matter how talented and versatile they are.

Reactions: RedSpartan
Exactly......I was never a fan, but she was on Stern a ways back...she did her thing on the piano and damn can she sing.

Are you trying to say that Lady GaGa has less musical talent than Alice Cooper? Most of what she does is not my style, but holy hell, if you can't tell she's a talented musician you're just not paying attention.

Reactions: RU1977 and MoobyCow
GaGa is straight up talented with a gifted voice...period...she frills it up with fashion and quirkiness but she is an immense talent...SB attendees will be treated to a show come February.

A home run get for the NFL...

Reactions: RU1977
I am convinced people substitute their own personal taste in music for an honest evaluation of talent, and really can't tell the difference: if they like an artist, then that artist is great. if they don't like an artist or if the artist falls outside the range of things they like to listen to, then that artist stinks.

What you like or don't like has no bearing on an individual's talent. I am not a Gaga fan, but I would never say she has no talent. She is a great singer. I just don't like her all that much. But I hear people say all the time that "so and also really sucks," when the reality is the person just doesn't like the kind of music so and so plays. People tend to confuse their personal taste for what is good or what is bad.

Great voice but not at all excited about her doing the Superbowl halftime. Not a fan of mixing that type of pop music and football though I'm sure many others feel differently...so be it.

Great voice but not at all excited about her doing the Superbowl halftime. Not a fan of mixing that type of pop music and football though I'm sure many others feel differently...so be it.

Because it is not about football during halftime...it is not even about those at the stadium...it is about making the tv audience grow, beyond those who watch the game.

Gaga is a classically trained musician I believe. Trained at Juilliard I think but since she's a pop star so she can't be any good. [eyeroll]

While not necessarily a fan I also recognize that Lady Gaga is very talented and I will watch her halftime show. She is certainly a better pick than Katy Perry. Over the years, between her touching tributes to Clarence Clemons when he passed, her work with Tony Bennet and her rendition of the national anthem, I have become a fan of her talent if not her own music.

As far as other who can do the show, they have hit most of the classic rock acts that have widespread popularity (as opposed to the Metallica, Foo Fighter types who, while deserving, may scare some viewers off due to the nature of the music). Other great choices would be Zak Brown Band or Taylor Swift. Both have crossover popularity and are great in concert.

A few years ago the NFL said they would make the artists pay them to appear - did this really happen? That would explain Katy Perry. Acts like Swift or Zak Brown would not pay since they are already hugely popular.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT