ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Last Chance U

RUwoz

All Conference
Jul 20, 2014
has anybody watched it on Netflix? About a top JUCO in Mississippi, very interesting and definitely shows why we have stayed away from JUCO players typically

Reactions: JoeRU0304
Awesome show... Was recommended by another board member a few weeks back. Well worth the watch. It's basically Friday night lights meets hard knocks. Really insightful on how juco works and the players they attract. Nj.com would have a field day covering the team, coaches included.

Ive recommended it... dont think a large majority on this board has netfilx or there would be a ton more conversation about it IMO.

Ive recommended it... dont think a large majority on this board has netfilx or there would be a ton more conversation about it IMO.
Missing out, great show to get you ready for football season

I also saw the show recommended here and watched it all over a few days. Agree with the OP and others here. Really interesting stuff; some of the names seemed vaguely familiar (wouldn't be surprised if they got mentioned here over the past few years when the kids were in HS) and it just reconfirmed to me what decent chunks of the recruiting process must be like, as well as the mixed mindset (insightful yet irrational) of many adolescents.

Joe P.

Just started, saw 3'episodes so far, it's very entertaining. I watch it with closed caption on as the Deep South / hip hop type jingo and accent is hard to follow at times.

I also saw the show recommended here and watched it all over a few days. Agree with the OP and others here. Really interesting stuff; some of the names seemed vaguely familiar (wouldn't be surprised if they got mentioned here over the past few years when the kids were in HS) and it just reconfirmed to me what decent chunks of the recruiting process must be like, as well as the mixed mindset (insightful yet irrational) of many adolescents.

Joe P.
Especially when the kid was asked what it would take to get him to play for a school, he mentioned he couldn't say it with the cameras there... Pretty much asking for $$ or cars or something

I also would recomend this show for this board to watch. An eye opener on some of the things that went on at this school.

On a related note, I've alwaus wondered why NJ never had any JUCO type programs here. Was it because of money, space, lack of interest, etc? Im pretty sure Essex County College, Burlington County, or other County Colleges may have had a successful JUCO program if some deep down south JUCO in Mississippi is a money maker for that school.

I also would recomend this show for this board to watch. An eye opener on some of the things that went on at this school.

On a related note, I've alwaus wondered why NJ never had any JUCO type programs here. Was it because of money, space, lack of interest, etc? Im pretty sure Essex County College, Burlington County, or other County Colleges may have had a successful JUCO program if some deep down south JUCO in Mississippi is a money maker for that school.
From my understanding the community colleges are JUCO in NJ. Football is an expensive sports to fund. Funding other sports is a lot cheaper than just football alone. The CC in NJ are more into basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, etc. than football.

Especially when the kid was asked what it would take to get him to play for a school, he mentioned he couldn't say it with the cameras there... Pretty much asking for $$ or cars or something

I also felt bad for the academic counselor/ advisor, who was practically doing handstands and pulling her hair out to get these kids in class and doing their work. I remember the RB who was back in Florida in the middle of the friggin' school week after the staff was bending over backwards for him. The school looked like it had maybe 2 buildings and it seemed like half the kids still did everything possible to miss class; couldn't imagine what would happen had some of those kids been here or at another larger state school.

Joe P.

Last edited:
Reactions: tico brown
Fabulous show. I loved the woman who was the academic advisor. What a classy and dedicated human being.

You really ended up rooting for some of these kids, especially David Ollie (DL) who I think got a scholarship to a Division II school. Their former QB is also scheduled to be the starting QB at Auburn this year.

Another interesting and worth watching Netflix show is a year with the Arizona Cardinals who allowed cameras to follow the team around for the whole season. Bruce Arians is a really interesting HC.

Watching this just reinforces the idea that we have a screwed up system where athletic progress (in Football) is awkwardly piggybacked on an academic track.

Some of these kids should not be going to college and everyone knows it. But that's their only option to pursuing their Football ambitions.

Reactions: tico brown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT