ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Last Dance NJ HS baseball tournament

Just got home from the championship game a little while ago. Went to all the games with my neighbor, who's son was All-State 2 years and played for RU for 4 years. I could not be prouder to have grown up in Cranford and still live in Cranford after all these years. This Cranford baseball team absolutely dominated teams that are supposed to be NJ state powers in baseball.

Cranford's coach, Dennis McCaffery, probably is the best baseball coach in the state, if not the country. I am serious. Words can not describe what an amazing job he does with Cranford, year in and year out.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Lived in Cranford for 27 years before moving full time to the shore last year. The HS baseball program was usually a contender at the county and state level. McCaffery took what they guy before him (Shriner?) started and turned it into a model program. Congrats to the team.

Cranford is the new Westfield. :-)
It’s like academic fortunes tutors for math and science. Now there is tutors for every sport under the sun and excellent weight training that comes at a cost. I’d be willing to bet the Cranford team’s total bull for outside coaching is more than some folks make in a year. You think that doesn’t matter? Congrats on the win but the playing field is anything but level on the field as in the classroom.

It’s like academic fortunes tutors for math and science. Now there is tutors for every sport under the sun and excellent weight training that comes at a cost. I’d be willing to bet the Cranford team’s total bull for outside coaching is more than some folks make in a year. You think that doesn’t matter? Congrats on the win but the playing field is anything but level on the field as in the classroom.

Success comes at a price. It doesn't come free, the kids/athletes need to put in the sweat equity and some parents are willing to pay for that training to give them an edge. There's nothing wrong with that.

Success comes at a price. It doesn't come free, the kids/athletes need to put in the sweat equity and some parents are willing to pay for that training to give them an edge. There's nothing wrong with that.
“Some” my point is I remember when year after year Westfield was getting curb stomped by my hometown Elizabeth. What changed? Elizabeth kids were getting full rides to parochial schools because they have the best athletes. Secondly towns like Westfield and Cranford were paying for training such as coaching and ultra fancy gyms that all cost big money. It’s not a level playing field just like in the classroom. $$$$$ is the difference not talent.its all good but some are making it sound like it’s all fair and square. It will take generations for the equity to even out.

“Some” my point is I remember when year after year Westfield was getting curb stomped by my hometown Elizabeth. What changed? Elizabeth kids were getting full rides to parochial schools because they have the best athletes. Secondly towns like Westfield and Cranford were paying for training such as coaching and ultra fancy gyms that all cost big money. It’s not a level playing field just like in the classroom. $$$$$ is the difference not talent.its all good but some are making it sound like it’s all fair and square. It will take generations for the equity to even out.
Until the US Youth/HS Sports Teams are signed and professionally coached by the Yankees, Mets, Phillies staffs like how it is in European with Man City, United, Barcelona, etc... money for extra youth training will be the way to go.

Until the US Youth/HS Sports Teams are signed and professionally coached by the Yankees, Mets, Phillies staffs like how it is in European with Man City, United, Barcelona, etc... money for extra youth training will be the way to go.
“You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. It’s a simple game.”

“You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. It’s a simple game.”
It’s like the civil service exam in NJ. If you pay the big money you can go and be taught how to get the 99.9 and get hired. If you don’t you get no job. Need a high SAT score pay thousands of dollars for tutoring. Need that A in calculus Pay big bucks for that tutor. Sports at the high school level is all about private coaching. Go give kids in Newark Plainfield Keansburg Elizabeth Patterson and Camden the same extras that Westfield Rumson and summit get and see what happens.the difference is $$$$$$$$.

Extra training may be the difference of playing D3 ball and going to the minors out of HS.
I’m agreeing with you.

There is nothing wrong with getting an edge. And one of those edges is parental involvement...some just see the dollar signs but tough to do anything on your own.

It’s like the civil service exam in NJ. If you pay the big money you can go and be taught how to get the 99.9 and get hired. If you don’t you get no job. Need a high SAT score pay thousands of dollars for tutoring. Need that A in calculus Pay big bucks for that tutor. Sports at the high school level is all about private coaching. Go give kids in Newark Plainfield Keansburg Elizabeth Patterson and Camden the same extras that Westfield Rumson and summit get and see what happens.the difference is $$$$$$$$.
Or just start having a catch with your dad when your little.

And when you’re a little older take a spackle bucket filled with balls you found and head to the park and have your dad pitch to you.

And when you’re a little older take a spackle bucket filled with balls you found and head to the park and have your dad pitch to you.
That's what I did, never had the money for extra training. It helped me vs the teams I was supposed to play with or be semi above average against. Didnt help me vs the Memorials, Emersons, Hobokens, Elizabeths, Westfields, and Cranfords of the world back in the late 80s. Also didnt help that I had 3 shop teachers as head coaches who was only there for the check.

Or ride your bicycle along with all your friends to the park with your glove and bat, football and basketball.
Then proceed to play all three sports from 9am till the street lights come on...not an adult in sight.
That’s the way I learned.

And many can't afford to pay for anything like that. That's whats wrong.

Or ride your bicycle along with all your friends to the park with your glove and bat, football and basketball.
Then proceed to play all three sports from 9am till the street lights come on...not an adult in sight.
Ditto that!

A VERY wise man when asked about which sport to specialize in said...”play ‘em all, kid.”

And many can't afford to pay for anything like that. That's whats wrong.
It’s not wrong. Some examples were already offered.

Parental involvement doesn’t just mean $$$. It includes time too which is just as if not more important. And not just for sports either.

Same with having a good group of friends to do stuff with.

Last edited:
Had kids little league games this morning and the field backs up to the Cranford varsity field. There were a couple HS aged kids working out on the field. Not saying these were varsity players grinding on a hot morning the day after winning a state championship, there was someone out there working to get better. Yes extra paid training and camps help, but so does Building culture of hard work. These kids were putting in work on their own, that’s a big difference maker as well.

Reactions: LC-88

Total bullshit. Gaslighting at its finest. Those of you engaging with this idiot are almost as bad.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
That will never happen in 2020.

It’s not wrong. Some examples were already offered.

Parental involvement doesn’t just mean $$$. It includes time too which is just as if not more important. And not just for sports either.

Same with having a good group of friends to do stuff with.
I was responding to the notion that some parents will spend $$ for their kids to get trained & some parents don't have the money for that. In my view that creates an uneven playing field & I don't consider that right.

So very true. That was what it was like growing up.

Best of Luck,
Groz

I was responding to the notion that some parents will spend $$ for their kids to get trained & some parents don't have the money for that. In my view that creates an uneven playing field & I don't consider that right.
That’s life. Not just in sports.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
And if you proved yourself enough, you got invited to play in pick-up games with the “older kids.”

I haven’t been following this tournament too closely because I don’t have a dog in the fight. But I have been reading the feature stories surrounding it - particularly the one about the Cliffside Park coach and you can’t help but be so happy for these guys to get a chance to do this. It really sucked for this class to lose seasons, graduations, etc. I know it’s not the same as a normal season but I’m glad this tournament was able to make it to the finish line.

I haven’t been following this tournament too closely because I don’t have a dog in the fight. But I have been reading the feature stories surrounding it - particularly the one about the Cliffside Park coach and you can’t help but be so happy for these guys to get a chance to do this. It really sucked for this class to lose seasons, graduations, etc. I know it’s not the same as a normal season but I’m glad this tournament was able to make it to the finish line.

RUPete,

What you said was so true. This tournament was truly a blessing to all of the players, coaches and fans. Having their regular season and county and state tournaments cancelled, had to be the worst, especially for the seniors. It was so well organized. I was not expecting the tournament to be so professionally run and it was an amazing experience. I tip my cap to the organizers.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: RUPete
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT